“Incredible!!”

The Inn at Benicia Bay
Ranked #2 of 5 Benicia B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Inn at Benicia Bay is a work in progress!!! The owner purchased it not long ago, and is in the process of restoring this historic site. The Inn keeper, Kimberly, was absolutely wonderful and SO hospitable and helpful!!! And we were able to have a wonderful conversation with the owner, Stephan!!! I'm not sure when the restoration will be completed, but it will be fabulous when it is finished!!! It will include a great restaurant!!!
The quaint downtown is lovely as is the bay. The town is pristine and desirable!!
Stephan also has the Shorelight Inn, which is right on the bay and very amazing!!!

Room Tip: We were the only couple there..so it was AMAZING!!! But. as always, I would recommend a top floor, j...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Denise P
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Benicia Bay

Reviewed August 13, 2012

The only positive thing about this place is their proxcimity to downtown. The joy of staying in a bed and breakfast is to get that personal introduction to an area. That was sorely lacking in our stay. In fact we never met the inn keeper,the maid gave us our room key. The restaurant on site was closed.. they forgot to mention that. The Spa was also not open. When we left, no one was there to check out. Crazy! It gets better, the room has stains on the carpet, had to stand on the bed to turn the fan on...seems like they could afford a pull chain. The bed LOUDLY creaked everytime we turned over and breakfast consisted of a basket with a banana, apple, protein bar, and muffin- all which one can get at the grocery store. Robes were not in the room as noted in the website and the garden looks in great need of weeding, etc. This place has such potential but it will have to make some major changes before we come back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Benicia is about 30 min from wine country and about a 30-45 minute ferry ride to San Francisco from the vallejo Ferry terminal not far from Benicia. This hotel is in the historic district, and is vey comfy and beautifully refurbished as an older historic home.

Room Tip: there are only 1 or two dog rooms so reserve early.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We departed after one night. There was no one reason, but an accumulation of disappointments and irritations. When we arrived we were told our room was upgraded. It was late, I was tired, hungry and totally caught off guard. Unfortunately, we accepted an alternate room. Prior to making our reservation, I spent a long time looking at the pictures and room descriptions on their web site, and had carefully chosen the room I wanted. Then our experience in the dining room was not pleasant, except for the food. We have rarely enjoyed such a well prepared and delicious meal. However, there was a loud family milling about and knocking over chairs, a young couple was anxiously waiting for their credit card payment to be processed so they could leave, and a group of young women converted the bar to a hair salon blocking the waitress’s access to our table. The service was very slow. The noise level was very high. When our waitress came to our table her opening statement was always “I am so sorry” and her departing statement was the same “I am so sorry”. Our evening in the room was comfortable, but there were a lot of little things that irritated me. The round soap would not stay in the soap dish and I had to retrieve it from the bottom of the tub several times while I showered. There was no plug in the sink to hold water and when turning off the water the sink shifted and banged into the wall. We had to use one of our towels on the cold tile floor in front of the toilet to keep our bare feet warm, and the toilet intermittently kept running until the handle was shaken. Admittedly these are all little things, but taken all together and coupled with the fact that I was not in the room I wanted, I became annoyed and unhappy. In the morning when my husband went down at about 8 o’clock to bring us up some coffee, it was not ready and there was no sign of breakfast being served. He left in the car to get us some coffee, and when he returned he could not find our room key. Breakfast was still not being served. We decided to pack our things and leave. The woman from the kitchen kindly offered to make me a bacon & egg sandwich to take with me, but I did not care to wait for her to prepare it. I selected a bagel out of one of the plastic bags of various breads spread out on the bar, put some butter on it and left so we could arrive at a scheduled tour on time. Over the years we have stayed at a number of Bed & Breakfast establishments and we have come to expect certain things: small cozy rooms and a sit down breakfast served at a preset table with fresh squeezed orange juice, homemade breads & rolls and the cooks special egg & meat dish. I was very disappointed when I could not enjoy the excellent cooking again in the morning. When our experience was not as anticipated, we moved on. There was no one at the reception desk that could check us out, so I told the lady in the kitchen we were leaving. We were charged for the two nights we reserved instead of just the one night we stayed. Despite my explanation to the Proprietor after we had returned home, we were not given any consideration.

Room Tip: use website to choose room
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara444
Reviewed September 1, 2011

A fantastic overnight option for visiting Napa and Somona valley! Benicia is within easy driving distance of both San Francisco and the wine region, it is quiet but that is nice after the SF city way of life. The Inn is excellent and the staff are very helpful, polite and welcoming. Plus, here you are not paying the wine region inflated prices.

We ate in the restaurant that is part of the Inn, Vino Paladini, which was great as the food and service is excellent! They also allowed us to drink our own bottle of wine, purchased earlier in the day from a napa valley vineyard, and charged no corkage fee!

Rooms are large and spacious, all with different themes. We stayed in the captain dillingham room and loved it. Complimentary breakfast is great - true home-cooked food, different every day.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JL_and_DLSouthampton
Reviewed September 12, 2009

The Inn besides being a B&B also hosts weddings and wedding receptions. We made a reservation a few days before the weekend. It turned out that they had a wedding and reception booked. The music was loud and we couldn't even hear our TV.

Also,it just was awkward walking to our upstairs room past the wedding guests--of course we stood out dressed in shorts and t-shirts.

All In all, if this B& B wants to host a wedding--that's great. Just make the wedding party rent out ALL of the rooms, so that no one is in the position that we were put in.
We even got to hear private arguing among the bridal party--TMI. Probably would not stay here again........

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dbski4it
Reviewed October 10, 2008

We had made reservations----confirmed ---with the Union Hotel because we were familiar with it. Just a few days prior to our stay, I was contacted by Jim at the Inn at Benicia Bay. He informed me that my reservation at the Union Hotel was cancelled and that he could accomodate me. What luck! I loved our room, I loved the place, I loved the staff. Noone could have been better accomodating. The breakfast "chile eggs" were fantatasic! I want the reciepe!!! The place is lovely, clean and really nice people. Totally recommend!!!

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank coalcat2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benicia
Best Western Plus Heritage Inn
#1 of 8 in Concord
Shorelight Inn
Shorelight Inn
#1 of 5 in Benicia

Been to The Inn at Benicia Bay? Share your experiences!