“Great for Business or Leisure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Benicia B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Great for Business or Leisure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

A couple of weeks ago my office sent me on an impromptu business trip to the Solano County region (right before Christmas!!!) but respectfully booked a three night stay at the cozy Union Hotel. I was in and out busy with work related matters right up until I checked out. Today, as things have calmed down, I thought I would send a note in gratitude tipping my hat to the Union Hotel for enabling me to have had such a successful trip.

I thought I was going to have a hard time meeting my tight schedule but the hotel staff was prompt, knowledgeable and on their toes helping me weed through it without a delay. First, the front desk made check-in painless letting me settle in quickly and connect to the Internet pronto! I was online navigating in no time and actually looked around the room to notice that the suite I was in was decadent. The room was tidy, super clean so I knew I had to call my wife that night from the bubbly comfort of the room's Jacuzzi to tell her about the wonderful room I had all to my lonesome self...she would have to see it to believe it!

I was out the door pretty early everyday on time and content with the hearty complimentary breakfast. I returned late at night but always greeted with a welcoming smiling face (especially nice when you've been hustling and bustling in the Bay Area). All in all, the room décor was gorgeous, the amenities were spot on, the coffee was always piping hot and last but not least, the staff was super helpful!

I must say that I am working on reserving a weekend getaway trip with my wife early in 2009 to do some sight seeing and even sit down at the downstairs restaurant for a meal as the other guests suggested I should. I think I'll try the relaxing leisure experience this time around!

Good Travels!
Mr. BusyBee

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

I'm a resident of the Bay Area, so my trip to the Union was just for a quick, easy night out in the little town of Benicia. I'd been there before, but it was a few years back and I'd not been quite impressed enough to bother writing a review. This trip was a GREAT experience! When my girlfriend and I arrived we were greeted at the front desk by a very helpful young lady who gave me my key and asked if I needed someone to help me with our bags. I said no, and took the elevator up to my designated room "Victoriana". I found the room to be very nice- tastefully decorated and charming, very warm, etc. but I had preferred the view from the room I stayed in previously. When I sheepishly asked if that room was available, the girl at the desk cheerfully and quickly handed me the keys to "Sun Dew" which, as it turns out is directly ABOVE Victoriana. When I opened the door, I was blown away. The carpeting, linens and drapes were new and of the highest quality. The whirlpool tub was luxurious, etc. When I later thanked the staff for the room change I was told that they are in the process of upgrading the rooms one by one and that soon they will all be similarly appointed. Benicia is a great little town, and after strolling down to the water my girl and I had dinner at the new restaurant in the lobby of the Union. The place is REALLY FANTASTIC!!! It was not there last time I stayed at the Union and I can absolutely say I'd return to the restaurant even if I weren't staying at the hotel. The staff was friendly and the food was outstanding. Really nice. I had the Filet and my girl had the duck, and I'd stack it up against any of the restaurants near my home in Palo Alto. The hotel room was cozy and even my Jack Russell slept like a rock (yes, the place is pet friendly)!! The next morning we enjoyed a great home- cooked breakfast and headed out. The only unpleasantness I experienced was, believe it or not, another guest who obnixiously whined at the staff over his "this better be free" breakfast that- get this- the "sign on the front of the building squeaked when the breeze picked up". Geez- some people!! Anyway, as long as that clown isn't around I'll be staying at the Union again!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Daphne, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

I was staying with friends in Benicia and had lunch at the Union hotel in their historic dining room. The food was wonderfull, the service was excellent. A wonderfull place to unwind and relax.

Stayed August 2008
san mateo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

the room was very dusty, the tv could not see, very fuzzy, the jazzuci tub, was a joke, dirty, jets did not work good, stains on the pillow cases, dirty windows ,

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Benicia hotels

San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

We needed a place to stay for one night while visiting some friends in Benicia. Being from the area originally, we were already familiar with the other options in Benicia, and refused to stay at the Best Western ever again after our last experience, so we decided to go with the Union Hotel. We were very low key about our expectations for this hotel, as we really only needed it for sleeping and showering, but found it to be quite pleasant. The rooms are definitely dated, but great size for the price, and the bathrooms very spacious considering how old the building is... if you're into little inns with a little bit charm, this is the place for you. All in all, I would say this is the best option in Benicia- I know we will absolutely stay here again... oh, also - they are dog friendly, which is GREAT... and they don't have weight limits .. which is a huge plus if you have a large dog thats not crazy :)

• Liked — Size of rooms & bathrooms, value for the price
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tammigop
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2006

I asked the receptionist if I could see the rooms that were available for that evening and she flared at me and said, "I don't know why people have to insist on looking at the rooms! It is just a room!" I thought this was not professional at all, especially in the hospitality industry.

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank GoMyWay
Houston, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2006

I must have stayed at a different Union Hotel. It was actually the other reviews that steered me to the property. What a disappointment; what a dump. Stained and torn lampshades, mismatched and ugly furnishings and flea market furniture. The free breakfast is an embarrassing (for them) joke. If you're planning a California trip, look elsewhere. There's a reason most have not heard of Benicia, and certainly the Union Hotel.

PS - This is the first time I've contributed an opinion - I felt it my duty.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank JetTex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benicia
BEST WESTERN Plus Heritage Inn
Holiday Inn Express Benicia
Courtyard Vallejo Napa Valley
Staybridge Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon
BEST WESTERN John Muir Inn

Been to Union Hotel? Share your experiences!