“Try the sidewalk seating for lunch or dinner!”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Benicia B&B and Inns
Benicia, California
“Try the sidewalk seating for lunch or dinner!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The menu and service are very good. Always a consistently friendly atmosphere. Special list of martinis offered. Casual dining in the heart of Benicia- on First St. Popular restaurant and live music frequently.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank dyanne v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was led to the charming little city of Benecia through an ad in Sunset Magazine and subsequently to the Union Hotel. The website makes it sound so great, and there are aspects that are nice such as the breakfast room with its stained glass windows. However, potential guests beware. While the floors and most cabinet surfaces were dusted, there was at least 2 years of dust accumulated on certain areas and in the light fixtures. The couch and chairs needed a good cleaning. Do not rent the Fawn Lilly room on the 2nd floor as it is situated directly over the restaurant which features live music with booming base guitars which cause the entire building to vibrate -- that is, unless you like this sort of music or intend to be somewhere else between 7-midnight. The innkeeper is onsite from 3-6 PM only and does not respond to telephone calls. One of the local real estate agents has the hotel listed for sale.

Room Tip: Consider the third floor for the view and distance away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tosca027

Travelers are raving about these Benicia hotels

Vallejo, California, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

we went here for our anniversary the room was clean. we had the costal lotus room large Jacuzzi well 2 of the jets did not work and it since this room had a large shelf (where you would put candles etc) they had 2 very large items there (as to be stored) and the "FREE BREAKFAST" what a joke there is NO continental breakfast!!!! you have to sign up for it and the receptionist does NOT even tell you this!! and the time for the 'FREE BREAKFAST" is 7-8 AM. All the other hotels I have stayed at that truly do have a continental breakfast THE HOURS ARE T6-9 (OR10) and you do NOT have to sign up.!!!!!

Room Tip: go to another hotel in Benicia but do visit downtown 1st street. very little parking and no one is...
Marina, California
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stumbled upon the Union Hotel by accident, and decided to stay. On a Sunday night, we had pick of rooms. Chose one on top floor with great view of the water and bridge. Breakfast is in a lovely little room filled with stained-glass windows. It's old, it's a bit run-down with some things updated. In a word, funky, but we enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank OneWhoStrays
Nipomo, California
Reviewed August 4, 2012

For all of you who are looking for a place to stay, please do not be misled by the pictures on The Union Hotel's website. They are very deceiving.

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days so I spent half a day looking on-line for a nice hotel. I called The Union Hotel at the time when someone was there between the hours of 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. (not knowing that those were their business hours) to inquire about their "suite". After searching around, I decided to book with them. I called them back after 6:00 p.m. and got no answer so I booked on-line.

We started our journey to Benicia. The hotel called us (at the end of business hours, 5:45 p.m.) while we were on the road to find out if we would be there before 6:00 p.m. I told the lady we wouldn't get there until approximately 8:30 p.m. So she informed us how to get into the hotel. Yes, it's just like the others who wrote a review said, your envelope is taped to the outside of the door of the hotel, pretty safe, huh?

When we got there, I thought my husband was going to blow a gasket when he saw the outside of the hotel. I knew right then this little getaway was not going to go well. Then we followed the procedures to get into the hotel. When I tried the code, I was unsure what to do next so I went to the restaurant as I had been instructed to do if I had any questions. I should have known then to not book at this hotel. When we went into the hotel, used the key to the elevator (a first) and went to the room, I really thought my husband was going to go into cardiac arrest. He said "no way." My husband said this looks like something back in Mississippi (which is where we are originally from). The room did not look like the photos on the website. The furniture was ugly and there were holes in the floor. The rug looked dingy and the list goes on and on.

It felt like a haunted hotel. We were really afraid for our safety. It felt like no one else was around. We could have ended up dead and no one would have ever found us. That's the feeling we got being there. What if we needed something during the night? Were we supposed to bug the restaurant owner again? Really?

We were out of there. We took the keys to the restaurant owner and told him there was no way we were going to stay there. We looked for another hotel and stayed elsewhere.

I called The Union Hotel the next morning and they didn't even know we weren't in the room. I told them I wanted my refund for the two nights we booked with them. They stated it's not their fault we didn't like the room. Well, whose fault is it? If someone had been at the front desk like at normal hotels, we could have told them then.

So the manager only refunded us for one night which is unacceptable. What really made me boil is the manager refused to call us and just let the employees handle the situation. I see small claims court in their future.

We went to the Best Western on 2nd Street and the manager gave us an upgrade. She even told us if we didn't like the room, to let her know immediately. That's what you call service.

So, if you want great service, The Union Hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Don't waste your good, hard earned money on The Union Hotel.
3 Thank lstewart0011
Saint Paul, MN
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed at the historic,sweet little Union Hotel in Benecia last month and found it charming and affordable, with excellent food and service. Keep in mind its age (1880s) and size do not allow it to offer every amenity, but the Arrowgrass Room on the second floor corner was decorated with Bradbury & Bradbury wallpaper (made right there in Benecia), had a comfortable spacious bath with jacuzzi, and a romantic, comfortable four-poster bed. The food downstairs in the cafe/bar was tasty, and the whole package very affordable. If you want a quiet small town just minutes away from the bustle of San Francisco/Oakland, this would be a great choice.,

Room Tip: If the Arrowgrassis open, book it. Second floor corner room with good light and charming furnishings...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TaliskerSaintPaul_MN
Sacramento
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Old school rooms, quiet as could be, large room with separate sitting area, modern HVAC system, bathrooms a little dated but on the whole, a great place to stay. Great bar with Live Jazz in lobby. Benicia has a very cute down town with many places to eat drink and shop.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Johnp1126
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benicia
Best Western Plus Heritage Inn
Holiday Inn Express Benicia
Courtyard Vallejo Napa Valley
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 18 in Vallejo
Inn & Suites At Discovery Kingdom
Best Western John Muir Inn

Been to Union Hotel? Share your experiences!