“Charming, comfortable B&B in the middle of the Redwoods” 5 of 5 stars

Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ben Lomond B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Charming, comfortable B&B in the middle of the Redwoods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed at Fairview Manor B&B based on the review in TripAdvisor, and the fact it was clearly the best place to stay on Highway 9 between Big Basin and Henry Cowell State Parks. Having grown up in San Mateo and San Francisco Counties, the Santa Cruz Mountains are what I think of as my Great Back Yard, and one of my favorite places on Earth. I'd never stayed in a B&B in this area, however. I'm really glad I found Fairview Manor, because now I need look no further! Not only is the place perfectly located, but it is beautiful in and of itself. A classic, old-fashioned Bed and Breakfast Inn, Fairview Manor is a lovely cottage-style manse, with several cozy bedrooms and a large "living room" salon joining them all. Breakfast is served inside or out, depending on the weather. Your innkeeper, and the cook for your breakfast, is the charming Irish-American Gael, who will welcome you and take care of you in just the same way I've experienced in similar Bed & Breakfasts in Ireland itself. Our room, while cozy, was absolutely charming and comfortable. We had a double bed, not a King or Queen, but it was incredibly comfortable and seemed larger than it actually was. The bathroom was charming, and fully equipped with period-style fixtures that worked in modern fashion. And the breakfast? Suffice it to say, you can't get this good a breakfast at most hotels or inns outside of Ireland! My heart belongs to Gael, especially because of the way she notified me that I'd inadvertently left something behind after we left and went on to Carmel. She emailed me immediately asking if a certain important article (containing all my toiletries and necessaries) was mine, and offering to send it on to me if possible. It was important enough that I returned and retrieved it from her the next day. I am very grateful for her kindness and promptness in this matter -- it made all the difference between a good vacation and a bad one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rick049
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and cherish Fairview Manor the way we do! We adore the way we are accessible yet a wee bit hidden, keeps the B&B nice and quiet. We try and serve breakfast items that can't be found anywhere but Fairview Manor, and appreciate you acknowledging this. Wishing "happy trails" on your vacation.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fountain Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Beautiful location surrounded by redwood trees. Gael is a marvelous host - very accommodating, yummy breakfast, comfortable bed and right in the middle of nature. What could be better! We can't wait to back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lovetotrave23
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Just the experience we want all our guests to have! Quiet, relaxing, a good nights rest and an enjoyable breakfast. We are so happy you had a good stay and welcome you back anytime. Thank you for your review. All the very best, Gael
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The very interesting thing about Santa Cruz county is that within minutes you can be in an entirely different city that has an entirely different feel to it. I live in Santa Cruz county and recently had a little mini get-away for a weekend and I went from the ocean area of Capitola to the redwoods of Ben Lomond in about fifteen minutes. I felt like I had traveled somewhere far away, it had a real Tahoe feel. I say this because it is often difficult to find a hotel during a busy season here, but often there are little inns like the Fairview Manor not really that far from Santa Cruz' popular main attractions. And if you actually live locally as I do, it is so fun and refreshing to just stay in another city close to home that has such a unique atmosphere.

Ben Lomond is a small mountain community. This B&B is set on property with towering redwoods, and I mean towering! It was raining when I visited, but I would have just wandered for a while outside had it been dry weather. The room I stayed in had a king size bed, with a comfy and warm down comforter, a nice lounging chair, vanity, and a small bathroom with a stall shower. The room had everything you could need in the way of amenities. Quiet, private, relaxing. All the rooms are in the main house, but each room has its own private lock.

There were other rooms that were a little bigger, a little different from each other in decor, and style, so I recommend inquiring when you call as to the differences. The common great room was cozy and comfortable for just sitting and reading, with a nice fireplace. Wine is available in the the afternoon, with a cheese tray for nibbles. Breakfast is served in the area of the great room, next to large windows overlooking the back deck. This deck would be a wonderful place to eat or lounge in the warmer summer months and early fall. I have some dietary restrictions and the Owner of this nice place adjusted her menu to suit my needs. She was gracious about it and the food she prepared was so filling, I didn't need to eat lunch that day!

Once you are checked in, you are left alone, yet you know the Owners are close by if you need anything! Very lovely place, sweet and kind Owners, wonderful location. I will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Ask about the differences in the unique rooms to be sure you get the type of room you like, ie King...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
What an awesome review and delightful description of Fairview Manor B & B! Thank you.
We are very proud supporters of the MCT productions and we are thrilled to host attendees to the fabulous plays they produce. Ever since we took over the B&B from my mother, we have strived to provide our guest with a quiet and restful stay. We take pride in the B&B and are grateful when our guests recognize and appreciate it. Wishing you all the very best.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I recently spent two nights at the Fairview Manor. It is conveniently located near where our daughter lives in Felton. From the moment we arrived, Gael was so warm and hospitable, making sure we were comfortable in our room, introducing us to the other guests, offering wine and snacks for happy hour. She offered much advice on restaurants and things to do in the area and on our drive to Berkeley when we checked out. The breakfasts were delicious--way more food than I could eat. Gael even made a special breakfast for our daughter (who was on a highly restrictive diet), and invited our daughter to stop by anytime. Our room was comfortable and very homey. We really enjoyed our time there and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Always great to open a warm and wonderful review first thing in the morning. So happy that you enjoyed your visit. It was a delight to meet you and your family. I enjoyed our visit and wish you all the very best.
West Kirby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

This lovely welcoming place breaks the mould of fancy-dancy B&B. The hosts Gael and Jack are excellent and funny giving great local info, history, route finding and brilliant anecdotes!! The room itself and the bed were spacious and comfortable. The best bits for me were the conversation, the tasty home-cooked breakfast, wood stove and the fantastic location on the edge of the majestic forest of the Santa Cruz Mountains. This was a great place to unwind for a night before the long flight home. There's an authentic Austrian restaurant about 2 minutes walk from Fairview's front door too! If I go back to N Calif I will be booking myself in here again!

If you want the city - don't come here. Leave if for those who delight in the fact that you are in the clear air and able to see the stars at night!

Room Tip: All is dark and peaceful!
Green Features: These guys are clearly at the top of their game as a green B&B
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Briskeby
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for the brilliant review. I am still smiling! We look forward to your next visit and wish you all the very best.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I had two wonderful nights at the Fairview Manor. From the moment we were welcomed by Gael and Jack and the dogs until we reluctantly had to leave, we felt that we were part of the Family. The Bedroom and the Guest lounge were excellent and the breakfasts very tasty. We will certainly return to enjoy the setting, tranquillity and friendship and would recommend the Fairview to all wanting a true Bed and Breakfast experience in the Woods.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank k_jgorman
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Wow, thank you so much for the brilliant review! We certainly enjoyed your stay and will welcome you both back anytime. We know that we were your "second" choice with Yosemite being closed, but I am glad our redwoods brought you to the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains. Many thanks again, Gael, Jack, Max and Murphy.
Livermore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We filled three rooms at Fairview Manor for three nights in July 2013. While we are from the Bay Area, we had family visiting from Colorado, and Fairview Manor was the perfect place to be able to visit in a low-key, homey atmosphere. The beds were extremely comfortable, the food delicious and beautifully presented, the environment was exactly what we had hoped for, and our hosts did everything they could to make us feel welcome and nurtured. Situated amongst the trees, we enjoyed the peaceful surroundings from both the deck out back and the common living area. It was a perfect relaxing spot from the busy wedding activities in the area. We would definitely stay with Gael and Jack again and are already planning our return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
fairviewmanor, Manager at Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
How nice to read this review on Monday morning. We are thrilled that you all enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you return visit. You certainly receive "awesome guest" votes from us. It was so nice to see your smiling faces first thing in the morning. Gael and Jack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ben Lomond
Quality Inn
#6 of 54 in Santa Cruz
4.0 of 5 stars 396 reviews
Fern River Resort Motel

Been to Fairview Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!