“Fantastic staff makes up for minor irritations”

HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Belmont
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Fantastic staff makes up for minor irritations”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

There are a lot of little things to not like about this hotel and at least one really big reason to COME STAY HERE. When we stayed December 2013 and January 2014, the lobby was under renovation (website said would be finished before we arrived). There was no lobby bathroom to use and we had to borrow the manager's hotel room bathroom (awkward but I was grateful). We found 3-small ants in our first room. The walls were thin enough we could hear snoring on one side and SpongeBob on the other. The parking lot has few entrances and is difficult to maneuver around in a larger car. Pool is "heated" but is still chilly, even for determined kids and there is no hot tub. Breakfast room was crowded. Coffee is deeply and truly awful; thin and bitter. Food was copious and diverse but much of it uninspiring (i.e. eggs and pastries). The sheets are snuggly but the beds are uncomfortably hard and blankets few. Fans in the bathroom are loud enough to wake the dead and light switches are like playing Simon. One of the air-conditioning units in the courtyard appears to be preparing to launch into space. Small details, such as cheap plastic, scratched interior doors and the exterior door that had to be body slammed to open added up to a feeling of not-quite-awesome. HOWEVER ALL front desk staff at this hotel are phenomenal (ALL!). They were willing to go the extra mile; helpful without being artificial. Sincerely apologetic for inconveniences; they offered every possible option when we asked about the ants; deep cleaning, spraying, moving us ... whatever they could do. Having a kitchen is a nice convenience and the suites are real suites (not a bed with a couch next to it), the location is very convenient, the bacon was thick and savory, and the desk staff are such funny, friendly and helpful people I WOULD stay here again.

Room Tip: No elevators, thin walls; so try to get on a top floor corner if you sleep lightly or on a bottom fl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt House over 2 weeks (with a week elsewhere). If I had known earlier that the dining area and reception were under renovations, I would have chosen to stay elsewhere. However, their website indicated that at least the renovations would be completed for my 2nd stay. How wrong that info was - I had to put up with a temporary dining area and reception throughout my 2 stays (which spanned 3 weeks). I pity those who stayed longer than me.

What I don't like about this Hyatt:
1. The house-keeping service is inconsistent - sometimes they do a good job, while some other times, they missed certain things.
2. Hyatt is NOT green at all - the hotel uses a lot of plastic utensils and styrofoam containers. Sure, they make it easier to clear but all these conveniences are not green-friendly.
3. The room walls and ceilings are paper-thin - my 2nd week stay was miserable as out of 6 days only 1 day was I spared a noisy resident upstairs. (I had to complain to Front Desk to ask them to speak to my resident upstairs to tone down but I guess the problem lies more with lousy, paper-thin materials used for the hotel's flooring and walls). Take my advice - choose the highest floor possible.
4. The breakfast selection is BORING - it needs to liven up with more variety. My kids rather skipped breakfast on the 2nd week than go faced the same old, same old selection every morning.
5. Front Desk doesn't seem to remember our requests correctly (or at all).

I'm very disappointed with this Hyatt House. I wish I had chose another hotel chain.

Room Tip: Stay at the highest possible floor. Else be prepared to hear/feel the Hulk living above you.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Duke_Singapore
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was in the San Francisco area for work and stayed at the Hyatt House for about 5 weeks. The staff was AMAZING!!!!! Extremely friendly, welcoming and accommodating. They were so helpful with all of my questions and assited me to get where I needed to go or whatever was on my list for that day. The manager Taylor even personally drove my coworker to the airport himself when the taxi didn't show on time. Lourdes remembered who I was and always had a smile for me. This crew helped to make it an environment to come "home" and relax. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lisaVX
San Mateo, California
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was on very long business trip (I still am while writing this) and I was as to stay here instead of the Marriott Residence Inn. Its an amazing property with some super cool rooms (way bigger than a single resident would need).

The staff are brilliant and so are all the facilities which never seemed to fail through the elongated period. For example, I have never had problems with Internet which seems to be a constant problem in all the other places I stay. The room service gets the rooms all cleaned up and organized so you always get that new room feeling every time you walk in after a long day !!

The only problem, you absolutely need a car to get out from this place. A mile & a half walk would take you to the Caltrain Station but having your own drive makes it a lot better.

Room Tip: If you have old people or kids accompanying, try taking a room on the ground floor. There are no ele...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TaylorNintzel, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! It is always great to hear that the services and internet are working without fail. I appreciate your comments about the staff, we will pass along the great comments and I will let our housekeeping team know that they are doing a great job.

See you around the house,

-Taylor (GM)
belmont
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here with my family while getting our house tented, we stayed in the two bedroom unit. Plenty of room for the four of us and our cats! Everything you need, full kitchen with all cooking utensils .
Diner reception during the week is nice, the favorite for us was the Blue Moon on tap, yum!
We enjoyed a full breakfast in the morning , great coffee and tea.
The staff is really nice, needed to get into a room early because of the cats, hotel called me as soon as they had a room available, can honestly say I have never experienced that kind of customer service before.
Would stay here again in a heartbeat!
Thank you Hyatt House for a wonderful home away from home

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TaylorNintzel, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hello Suzeego,

"Home Away from Home" is what we seek to provide with our service and our hotel. I am so glad to hear you were comfortable and we hope we can continue to be your home away from home for all future travel to Belmont.

-Taylor Nintzel (GM)
Kissimmee, FL
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've stayed here many times. The layout is like a mini apartment. You have a good size living room, dining area and kitchen. There are french doors that separate your living room from your bedroom and adjoining bedroom. You also have a walk in closet. The grounds are beautiful with grills, pool and outside fireplace. The staff is extremely friendly. The rooms are just wonderful and beautifully clean. Daily breakfast was great too.

Room Tip: They have a nightly appetizer buffet. You can actually substitute this for your dinner. The food was...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I think we should take your review and add it to our website because it was so accurate describing our room layout! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this valuable information to your fellow travelers. Have a wondeful day, and we will see you again soon!

-Taylor (GM)
Hawthorne, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in one of their two bedroom suites and it was very comfortable. We were traveling with a two month baby and they accommodated a portable crib in our room. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is great and you have a good choice of items to choose from. Overall we had a great experience and we will be staying here every time we go to San Francisco.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear AJ1104,

It is very exciting to hear that we will be your choice EVERY time you return to the area! When are you coming back? We promise to make all future stays just as wonderful, so please contact me anytime with your future travel plans!

-Taylor Nintzel (GM)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmont
Pullman San Francisco Bay
Pullman San Francisco Bay
#1 of 17 in Redwood City
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Carlos
Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport

Been to HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores? Share your experiences!