“Beware!!!! Things are not always as they seem”
Review of LA Casita Mexicana

LA Casita Mexicana
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in Bell
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 28, 2009

After seeing this restaurant on "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay I had to try it. Up front let me say I travel to Mexico 3 to 4 times a year for Business and have been doing so for the past 14 years, so I am very familiar with "Authentic" Mexican food. I saw the rerun of the Chili relleno throwdown from 2008 and decided to check it out.

First off I was shocked when I walked in there. This is not the restaurant that was see on the show-BEWARE. They must have shot the show at another restaurant. This place is trashed and not what Is pictured on TV. Second, there is no Cactus garden next door where supposedly these guys visit daily to use fresh cactus for the meals. Third, the CHILI RELLENO was horrible, the cactus used was definitely canned and not fresh, the red sauce was horrible and totally threw off the dish. I was so excited about going to this place that we ordered, Chilli Relleno, Flauntas, Tres enchilladas and Carne Asada. We ordered a lot so we could really enjoy the "Real Authentic Mexican food", and so that we could taste a variety of what they specialize in. The best thing we were eat was the Creamed Corn soup that came with our meals. The Mole was not impressive, I am so disappointed. It's sad, very sad. I could have gone down the street to "Guelaguetza Restaurant" and had better Mole.

Oh and by the way you had better make sure you have cash on you as they do not accept anything other than cash

4  Thank westyone
There are newer reviews for LA Casita Mexicana

Reviewed July 28, 2008

For those of you who do not know, even the famous chef Bobby Flay from the Food Network had to give it to these guys when he lost his throwdown challenge against Jaime and Ramiro with their nopales chile rellenos. Bobby's was good but theirs was better and I have to agree so if you're having doubts or thinking about it don't and just go you'll be glad you did.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I'm craving their tres moles and limonada....one of the best mexican restaurants out there.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 6, 2006

This restaurant is, hands down, the best in Los Angeles. It is authentic Mexican food like none you will find anywhere in the city. The service does leave a little something to be desired, especially if you don't speak Spanish, but this is one of the few times that the service doesn't matter...that's how good the food here is.
No matter what you order, you'll be amazed. I prefer the Emoladas, which are enchiladas but with a mole sauce and the Chiles en Nogadas. I never leave hungry or broke as the prices are amazing. Be aware, however, that this is a small place and can get filled up very quickly.

It is worth the trek to go and experience this great cuisine.

A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 11, 2005

if you like burritos, chedar cheese, runny guacamole and sour cream this is not for you, but if you like authentic granma tasting moles, enchiladas posole end cenaduria fare this is your best bet.
the owners jaime and ramiro are as pasionate about details from the organic nopales to the flavoured corn tortillas yes nopal guajillo and more.
moles fill the air with their spectacular aroma 3 kind and soon to be more (soon they will incorporate the cup de tat with a withe mole).
prices are inexpencive food is better and the scene is very eclectic in one of my visits a city councilwoman was in one table jose feliciano in another one a food critic in the next and a well known literaty mixed table filled the rest of the rather smalll but well ocupied spacefloor.
jaime martin del campo one of the chef owners was in a food training camp as l wrote this review.
school was conducted by the foremost experts in mexican food and only god knows what he will bring knew to tha casita menu!!! jaime please hurry up we miss you and ramiro thank for a wonderfull velada with luis de alba...

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to LA Casita Mexicana? Share your experiences!