“AN ENJOYABLE BEACH TOWN!”

General Villamil Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Playas
Reviewed December 22, 2013

If you are looking for a nice beach in Southern Ecuador I will highly recommend visiting Playas. If you visit Playas from November thru May you will find a great warm weather, however from June thru October the ocean could be less warm. There about 17 miles of beach with clean sand and beautiful ocean waves. The best area is near the “rompe olas / Humboldt dock/ pier” You will love the seafood in particular shrimp ceviche with plantains, coco ice creams or coco juice. Whether you are traveling with children or friends you will enjoy the ocean view, food and harmony. I would recommend to rent a car or to take a taxi from Guayaquil (Ask the taxi driver to drive slow). There is a great road and will take an hour to get there. I will also recommend rent a condo. “Carabelas de Colon” is a neat resort located at the best spot and sometimes they have apartments for rent.

7  Thank JuanFCordero

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had been studying in [cold] Cuenca for a month, so coming to this beach was a nice getaway from the mountains. We weren't looking for anything special, just some sand to walk along and some rocks to sit on. There were many different people - fishermen, families, and artisans. It's a bus ride away from Guayaquil and a nice escape from the city. The food in Playas is also cheaper than the food in the city - always a plus.

3  Thank Janika_Berridge
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Don't go. There are tons of rip tides. No warning signs. No life guards. My friend drowned in Via a Data and two of my other friends almost died with him. We spent two days looking for him and those were the most horrific two days of my life. It's not the first time someone has died there. Don't go, PLEASE.

10  Thank Carlen W
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I enjoy my visits to Playas because I know people who have beach houses there, and I enjoy walking what appears to be an endless beach looking out at the ocean. It is a convenient 40 minutes away from Guayaquil which makes for a great day trip or overnight stay. I understand that others say "there are better beach destinations in Ecuador".... For me I have enjoyed going there tremendously. Great times and great memories. The water is a bit too cool for my tastes since I am spoiled by the warm waters o Miami & the tropics but on a hot day that water is so refreshing!

I recommend it.

2  Thank GPC411
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The weather is amazing all year long. Great waves, great food. You only have to be aware of where you park your car... there are a lot of burglars around Playas.

2  Thank Claudia M