“Believe what you read!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bass Lake
Milton Keynes
“Believe what you read!”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed at Pines Resort for 4 nights during the last week of July with my family, travelling from the UK

The staff were nice, food was OK and the location is beautiful - also very handy for Yosemite, which is definately worth a visit. However none of this compensates for the truely awful accomodation. Moth eaten blankets, filthy curtains, dust everywhere, unusable kitchen with no utensils, ants in the bathroom and generally in need of a complete refurbishment.

Come to the area, but stay somewhere else! This is certainly not the top class resort they say they are and certainly not worth the money

7 Thank PJM13
PinesAdmin, Front Office Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you for your honest view of The Pines Resort. We are under new ownership and are currently undergoing renovations in our chalets. We do understand the conditions that they are in, and are working hard to restore them. I hope that you will return after our renovations are complete. I think you will be pleased.
Charity Monahan, Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The cabins at the Pines have not been updated since about 1973. Old furniture, TV that barely gets reception, old carpet, and the setup was a complete death trap for our toddler. I have no idea how they get away with charging almost $300/night.

In addition, we were charged an additional $150 for cleaning after we left, $50 for leaving our clean dishes in the rack instead of putting them away in the cupboard, and $100 because the "trash was overflowing". By the way, the Pines only cleans your room every 4 days and they don't provide dumpsters or anywhere to put the garbage. When we called to complain about the extra charges the manager wouldn't budge. She said we could have requested cleaning service each day of our stay at no charge, which would have meant our place would have been clean and we wouldn't have been charged a cleaning fee. What??? So, if you do make the mistake of staying here, make sure to call each day and request a free cleaning.
The pool is nice. That's about the only nice thing I have to say about this "resort". Don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank travelbug3478
Thank you for your review of The Pines Resort. I apologize that you had such an unpleasant stay. It is our policy to clean the chalets every 4th day unless a guest requests it. This policy allows our guests their privacy. I apologize that you were not told at check-in about our cleaning policies. If you would like to speak to me directly, please feel free to call the hotel and ask to speak to me personally.
As for the room quality, we are under new ownership and are currently working very hard to correct all the issues you mentioned. I truly hope you will give our resort another chance after our renovations are complete.

Travelers are raving about these Bass Lake hotels

southern california
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Weve been coming to The Pines Resort for the past 10 years. We love the location for our annual family trip. Love the beach and pool areas. BBQ dinner was awesome! They had fun activities for the kids and music. I have to say that this time though the cabin's seemed to be a bit run down. There was alot that looked like it needed cleaned up. Carpet looked dingy, deck was rotting, one of our chairs was broken, water pressure was horrible. For $800 for 3 nights, I would expect a bit more but we still had a great time.

2 Thank southerncaligirl72
Thank you for reviewing The Pines Resort. We are in the process of updating and renovating the chalets, so when you visit again I think you will be pleased. Our new owners are committed to restoring the chalets back to their original state. We are truly working hard to make sure our repeat guests see the difference when they return again. Thank you again.
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My wife and I have stayed in hotels of all sorts in 3rd world countries, but this may have been the worst ever. The rooms look like they were last updated in the 50s, with the rattiest carpet, disgusting furniture, you name it, including trash outside our door. When we checked in, two of the lights in our living room and the downstairs bedroom did not work, and the toilet seat was broken off. We mentioned this to management, and they kindly fixed one of the lights – not the rest, of course. The location is great, so drive down and have a look, but do not by any means stay here, unless you are a family wanting to cram 10 people into a crummy “chalet” or college students looking for a place that no one will know you trashed.

Room Tip: maybe the suites are OK, the chalets are uninhabitable
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jlyslo
Thank you for your honest review of The Pines Resort and our Chalets. We are aware of the conditions of the chalet cabins, and the new owners are working hard to renovate and remodel them. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future and check out our renovated chalets. I think you will find them a lot more accommodating.
Charity Monahan, Front Desk Supervisor.
Devon, England
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Chalet was certainly roomy enough and the big balcony was appreciated, though our chalet had no views to speak of.
Though everything required was present (though I would not have used the dodgy looking oven) the rooms looked pretty tired (faded/stained carpet, old furniture) and needed a good, deep clean.
Restaurant and all other amentities were well up to scratch though, and the setting and location are great .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen H
Thank you for your review of The Pines Resort. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the spacious chalets. We are currently in the process of rennovating the chalets, and I will mention to the owners your concern about the ovens. I do hope that you will return to our Resort again after our upgrades are complete, I believe that you will be very pleased with the improvements.
Charity Monahan,Front Desk Supervisor
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The nightmare started upon arriving to our room. Everything started badly. There was no parking in front our our chalet cabin. Then upon entering the cabin the odor stepping into the cabin was horrid. It smelled musty and like sewage. I felt like throwing up and tried to contain myself. There was a broom in the small kitchen and the kitchen tile was broken. There was dust everywhere I looked. The carpet and couch were filthy. I did not even want to sit anywhere. The couch and chair both had stuff stuck there and hairs on it. They smelled bad. The carpet had a stain and was terribly filthy. A lightbulb was out to go downstairs. Everything I touched had dust on it. Downstairs are the beds they are the most uncomfortable beds ever. The sheets were even dirty. I looked before lying down and there were a couple of black things. I went to the chair and brought in my own blanket. You could smell the filth on the pillows. I never been so disgusted by a hotel/resort. I did not sleep at all and called to complain and they offered a $15.00 discount. I was so upset! The toilet was wiggling and the light in the bathroom had dust along with the bathroom vent. A couple of spider webs downstairs and a spider in the bathroom. The bathroom faucet was dripping. I'm highly allergic to dust so this place made me feel ill. I could not wait until morning to leave the room. The filth was unbearable. Please stay away and avoid this place at all cost. It ruined my vacation and it will do the same for you. This place affected my well being and my children woke up tired and could not sleep as well. We had to end our vacation early because other hotels were booked. For $233 a night this was horrible experience. I still feel ill thinking of the smell it just makes me want to vomit.

14 Thank LUV2TRAVEL2PLACES1
Thank you for your honest review of The Pines Resort and our Chalets. It is the reviews of this kind that let us know what areas need the most improvement. We are currently under renovation in our chalets, and all of the issues that you have addressed are being corrected. I hope that you will give our Resort another chance in the future after our rennovations are complete.
Charity Monahan/ Front Desk Supervisor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We returned after 14 years now with 2 children in tow. On arriving our lake view chalet was not available but was the next night so had to move not great as we were only there for 3 nights.
Were do we start on the plus side the staff were very helpful on changing our room. It is only 20 mins drive to Yosemite entrance. The setting is iydillic, it has the convenience of a grocers and small shops.
We thought that during the 14 years they may have replaced some of the fittings. The shower/bath was grubby, grout was missing in the floor original from perhaps when we last visited. The bathroom mirror had tooth paste on it, the sink surround was cracked. The bed were 2 queens, very limited for storage clothes for 4 of us. Used tissues found under one of the beds. Windows dirty.
Upstairs kitchen floor was sticky so wore our shoes indoors. Large old tv with limited channels was s trapped to the stand with some kind of luggage strap. Coffee table was wobbly. Kitchen did not have 4 plates so we called housekeeping who eventually delivered some extra plates which she admitted were dirty and needed washing, yuk. Luckily we had 4 kitchen utensils in our second chalet instead of the 2 provided in the kitchen of our first night. the filth between the cooker and the units included a piece of pasta a pea and lots of general debris. The lights had thick dust and we dared not turn on the ceiling fan because of the thick dust. The loft had a broken bug screen and window latch. We could go on and on.
Moved on to a fab place in Carmel valley at less cost.
Stay here if you want a fab view, easily accessible watersports and a quickish journey into Yosemite. The owners should be ashamed, and if had any decency would offer refunds to guests. We left a long list of things wrong when we checked out. We have never stayed in anything this filthy even when paying less than half the price.
To the owners please do not ask for us to return as we will not chance it, having travelled from London, this is not a mistake to be repeated, just return our money. We were in 269 and checked out on the 24th July.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lake view
10 Thank Landtravellers
PinesAdmin, Front Office Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for your honest review of the Pines Resort and our Chalets. We appreciate your comments, as they allow us to see the areas we need the most help in. We are currently working very hard to renovate and update the chalets. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future and return to our resort. I promise that your experience would be much better!
Charity Monahan,Front Desk Supervisor
Chateau du Sureau
#1 of 9 in Oakhurst
Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino
Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite-Oakhurst

Been to The Pines Resort? Share your experiences!