“As a woman traveling alone, I liked it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue

Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue
Ranked #44 of 61 Hotels in Bakersfield
Half Moon Bay, California
“As a woman traveling alone, I liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel on my way to Arizona. When I had made the reservation online a few weeks before, I indicated that I'd like a quiet room and that I was going to be alone.

First of all, driving up to it, it's rather hidden when it's dark - if I hadn't had a GPS screaming (well, not really) at me that the hotel was "RIGHT HERE!", I would have driven right past it. It's set way back from the street, inside a shopping area. There is a lighted sign on the street, but I could have missed it. As I drove in I saw that it was right smack - almost up against - the freeway and I thought, "Oh no" - but it turned out not to be much of a problem.

A very friendly and efficient woman greeted me when I walked into the lobby and knew almost immediately who I was. She had my check-in documents ready and the rest of the process of getting my key and signing papers went very fast. Luckily, someone had noticed my comment when I made the reservation, because she directed me to a room at the end of the hall abutting the back parking lot, and next to the back room of the office - so I was basically by myself and separated from any noise that might occur from the hotel, but also felt secure because I was next to the office.

I can see why they call it Extended Stay - there was a complete kitchen in the room! Full-sized fridge, a cook top with two burners, sink, cabinets. Everything you'd need if you had to hang out for a month or two. And I was REALLY surprised to see that it was fully equipped with dishes, kitchen items, etc. How often do you find that in a hotel room without requesting it or paying extra?

I also have to mention that I got an amazing rate for this room - probably shouldn't say how much - but look around on several sites before you book. You may get it too.

The room was clean and there was a flat-screen TV. I think the bed was a pillow-top and it was quite comfy. After I was in the room for a few minutes, my phone rang. I froze - who on earth would be calling me? It turned out to be the friendly desk person, asking how the room was. What a nice touch, especially for a woman traveling alone!

Would I stay there again? You betcha. And the only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because it's next to the freeway - make sure you bring earplugs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's away from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tucson, Az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

3 nite stay. 2 rooms. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable and air conditioner quiet and cooled the room well on low. Our rooms were located on front of motel away from freeway, noise not an issue. Good coffee in lobby and fruit and snack bars. Very reasonable rate. No hair dryers and shampoo in the rooms, but I think they had some at the front desk. We brought our own, no problem. Staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on front of motel, away from freeway and trains are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

On March 14, 2013 my husband called the day of check in to let the hotel know that I would be checking in late. He was assured that a night person would be on duty.

I arrived at the hotel at 11:25 p.m., alone. Outside there was a phone in a box to call the night person. I called 2 times and no one answered. I waited. I knocked on the door of the lobby and no one answered. The lobby was dark.

I had few options but to check into another hotel since there was no attendant to check me in. The next morning I went back to the hotel and spoke with Jessica, the manager about the situation. I also called Hotels.com immediately to explain what happened. I have called Hotels.com at least 6 times since. On two occasions I have been told I would receive the refund. I have been given an escalation case number.

In the end I believe Hotels.com has strung me along and lied to me. Extended Stay has not been pleasant to work with since they were not able to fulfill what they promised.

Room Tip: The Ramada Inn a few blocks away was a little more but worth the service and they had a night person...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great location,good service.would of liked a better continental breakfast,overall. It was very satisfactory.served its purpose. Don't pay little and expect a lot . A reminder, always check if there are enough towels or wash rags,there wasn't , I asked for them and they couldn't of been nicer very friendly staff. No Disney or nickelodeon channels for the children. A really nice restaurant and bar next to lt, as well as a boomers.gas stations, and a surf shop in all places, the valley, other side of freeway. Easy access to the freeway, walls are a little thin, so, if you need to get up early, don't worry you'll hear some one who gets up early

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear that the associates were really friendly and helpful during your stay with us. Again, thank you for the positive comments, we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It is your average budget type hotel. Room was clean. No blow dryer, you'll need to bring your own. Our room was at the back of the hotel near the onramp of the freeway, it didn't bother us until the morning traffic kicked in. Ask for a room at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel to avoid the freeway noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time write a review of you stay stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that you found our rooms clean and fresh. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I decided to stay here because of the reviews. It was nice, clean and the staff was nice. The room was nonsmoking and even tho you get a little permeation of smoke from other rooms once in the room I didn't notice it,

I am super picky about beds and this one was comfortable for me. Overall a good value.

It is also located just off 99 and close to a mini golf place as well as numerous places to eat all with in walking didtance

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you found the property fresh, clean and was provided great service by our associates. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is a great value, recently remodeled, flat screen TV, two Showtime channels, all the ESPN channels and free WiFi. The rate is very competitive with hotels like La Quinta, Quality Inn, etc., and when the savings in dining out by using the in-room kitchen are considered, it is an unbeatable value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
We just recevied a copy of your review and wanted to thank you so much for the positive comments about our recent upgrades. We're thrilled that you found great value in our well equipped kitchens. Again, thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.