“great stay”

Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was one of the best visits I have ever had in Bakersfield thanks to this hotel..Stayed for 3 nights...Great rooms... Great staff-very helpful and informative...Very clean place...Carpets in elevators need to be redone...The breakfast was excellent...lots of variety...Will stay here again...

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Q5713UWkateh

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed here as an overnight stop to break up our journey.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was spacious and clean and the breakfast had plenty of choice.

The pool area was clean and tidy.

A great hotel for what we wanted.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Elspeth R
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I really liked this hotel last year when I visited for 3 days, just prior to their remodel. This year was not such a pleasant experience. I would like to mention that the staff here are WONDERFUL, from the maids to the desk staff to the kitchen staff. They're friendly, helpful, and go out of their way to help out when needed. For instance, my roommate dropped a glass jar about 9 pm one evening, and we had nothing to vacuum up the pieces. She called the front desk and, as they had no access to the vacuums at that hour,they brought wide masking tape to lift up the shards. The young man was very gracious & got on his hands & knees helping to pick up all the tiny pieces bit by bit until it was clean. Also, the breakfast here is still tops! Many, many choices from pancakes,, eggs, bacon, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, biscuits & gravy, sausage, you name it, they seem to have it. Also, the room was very clean each day when we returned.
**On the NEGATIVE side: 1) For the second year in a row, our room key-cards did not work in the back door where we always entered after parking. After bringing this to staff attention we were told that it was an ongoing problem and that only certain rooms had cards which worked properly. Question is, if this was a known problem, why was the back door not repaired during the extensive remodel?? 2). There was no ice machine on the second floor. 3). The elevators were very slow & the carpets in them filthy. 4). The hallways were uncomfortably warm when standing & waiting for the slow elevator. 5). My roommate was awakened in the middle of the night when an earwig (pincher bug) bit her on the cheek. 5). The bathroom countertop was virtually "chopped short", leaving approx. 5 ft. of unusable space. (last year was from wall-to-wall). The countertop wasn't long enough to hold normal grooming items for a woman, e.g., blow dryer, hairbrush/comb, hairspray, lotion. I realize it was a money-saving tactic to cut short the countertops, but it was very inconvenient. They had even moved the coffee-maker to the bedroom area because of lack of space. It was not like this last year. 6). The noise in the hallway and rooms above & adjacent to us were easily heard from within our room. Last year I had a room right next to the front desk, and never heard any sound. 7). The closet was cut too shallow, hitting the hangers when closed, leaving scratches in the newly painted door's interior. Also, our clothes were all pushed sideways when the door was closed. Very poor planning. 8). Only one small suitcase stand was made available in a 2 bed room. 8) The refrigerator's door was difficult to locate at first because the cabinetry & refrigerator are both black, and the frig door handle was an indentation on top of the frig. Also, when pulled open, the frig slid nearly out of the cabinet. But, that may be a good thing as this meant it had a good seal, even though it was somewhat annoying to have to use 2 hands to simultaneously open & stabilize the unit. All in all, I don't think I will be returning next year for my annual visit. There were too many annoyances, some minor, but some substantial. Too bad their remodel cut so many corners, and didn't address others.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear LDDD D,

Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to post your review regarding our hotel. I am very delighted that you found our hotel staff highly commendable and that you liked our breakfast selection.

I apologize if we fell short on some of your expectations, particularly with the room key card malfunctioning and layout of room fixtures. I would like to assure you that your comments, including that of noise levels, have been taken into serious account to reconsider improvements on our end.

I hope you give us another chance to host you again on your next visit as we would love to regain your faith in us.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We pulled in to this hotel after midnight and were greeted with all the courtesy of a 5 star hotel.
The room was clean, large and new.
The breakfast didn't offer a whole lot for those who prefer a more healthy diet, but there was plenty in the way of pancakes, cereal, bacon, eggs, toast & muffins and other high carb foods.
We will stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank T P
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The location is easy to get to, right off hwy 99, although it is in an area that seems like a mix of industry and fast food. But who cares if you're only there to sleep? The lady at the front desk told me that this hotel was renovated and upgraded 6 weeks ago. They seem to have done a lot because the place looks new and clean and contemporary. My room was well-appointed with a mini-fridge and microwave and coffee/tea maker. The bathroom looked modern and clean too. The TV had a lot of channels...over 100, including the premium channels at no extra cost. My bed was comfy and the area was quiet. Note: There is a train that runs adjacent to the hotel, but I only heard it once, about 9pm, and it wasn't loud and went quickly. The area seemed safe, and there were a number of fast food places you could walk to, and a mall that is a mile or less away if you want to drive there.
The free breakfast offered a lot too. Hot choices were eggs, pancakes, sausage, and cinnamon rolls. There was bread and bagels to toast, cereals, yogurt, bananas, apples, juice, milk and coffee/tea.
If I finding myself rolling through this area again, I'd come back for a stay. The front people were very friendly and nice too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank honurider
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Booked after being unable to get a room in my first choice of location. What a result ! Hotel seemed new, beds were super comfortable and rooms were a generous size. Matt on reception was very welcoming and it was very much appreciated after an extended day of driving. Best of all this is a five mknute drive from the awesome Cruz drive through car wash where they have installed a photo booth at the end of the wash. Yeah ~ a photo booth in a car wash that takes your picture like you are on a roller coaster. The title 'genius' is bandied about too freely nowadays, but the guy that thought of that is a proper genius. I salute you.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JamSpongeCustard
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed overnight while traveling through Bakersfield. The hotel staff were excellent. The entrance is welcoming and I liked the new decor. The room was spacious and clean with Directv, which is nice. The bed was comfortable and I didn't hear any noise from the train that some reviewers spoke of. We had breakfast which had eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, juices, coffee, and a new pancake maker (cool). We had a complimentary paper in front of the door and a quick check out bill. All in all a good stay!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business