“EWWW!”

Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
California
“EWWW!”
Reviewed March 13, 2008

We checked in went to our room and immediately asked for our money back. The room was small and dirty. The door looked like it had been broken into. It smelled. AND you can hear the noisey freeway! I
t looked as if quite a few people live there. It was pretty bad. The manager did give us our money back and we went to the EconoLodge. It was much better and at least quiet.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank ennaejb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Merriam, Kansas
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We needed a place to crash while trying to drive home. After trying to find a room at one of the several hotels in the area that we normally stay at, we tried the Vagabond Inn, North.

Staff was friendly, and price was right. Check in was quick. We were exhausted and needed to sleep.

If you need a place to sleep and shower and move on, then this is the place. If you need 5 star ratings and new everything then this is not the place for you.

It worked fine for us, and I would stay there again.

• Liked — It was available
  • Disliked — Thin walls.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed September 4, 2007

My wife and me stayed here in July. We were on a Road Trip crossing USA.
We've seen a lot of Motels on the way and this was a good one!

Price came cheap...paid 38$ incl. Tax (we had a coupon). For this money we got a good deal. The rooms were clean and non-smoking. There were some food options very close to the motel (a buffet place, Milt's coffee shop, Starbucks...and some more).

Room came with TV, microwave and a fridge. The whole setup of the motel was nice...even the pool area looked good. But was too full, so we didn't jump in. Service at the Front desk was not extremely extra-friendly, but basic and ok. That's all I need.

The area felt safe, close to the Highway, but not noisy. Of course, there were a lot of people in the Motel; it was pretty much booked out that night. So it was busy, but nobody looked suspicious. We had a good sleep here and felt very safe.

For this price it's a great value. If you have to stay a night or two, this place is great to spend the night.

• Liked — good priced, clean, nice setting
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bandit-One
calif
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I was staying with a friend and our daughters. the hotel was not clean, we left our shoes on just to go to the otherside of the room otherwise our feet would be black with dirt. I needed a fridge so I thought 'great, each room has one', it was warm an ice chest would have been just as good if not better. we decided to let the girls go for a swim....MISTAKE, the men that room there came out and started yelling and making comments to my friends 13yr. old daughter SHE is jail bait guys. we were very nervous to leave our room once we locked the doors...that you had to force shut. the bathtub would plug up so you were in 6 inches of water while taking a shower. I actually went to the store to buy lysol to spray the whole room, sheets and all. The A/C worked very well and the waffle machine in lobby was cool, OJ was great. If you are a working man that doesn't care about dirt or the freeway noise, then this is your place to stay.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank CalifAndi
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed March 20, 2007

I booked a night at Vagabond Inn North for Mar. 12th because they advertised "heated pool...year round". I have arthritis and need daily exercise, so a heated pool was important for me. When I arrived, I paid about $5 extra to be located near the pool. When I tried to use the pool, I found it was ice cold. When I complained to the manager about their deceptive advertising, he was evasive and unapologetic. He said "it was not the season to heat the pool". He made no attempt to resolve the problem. If not heated year-round, why advertise it? If not heated, why charge me $5 more to be located near it? These people cannot be trusted!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — No heated pool
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gnolta
VagabondInns, Hotel Manager at Vagabond Inn Bakersfield North, responded to this review, October 2, 2007
We sincerely apologize for this situation, and we have made all the necessary changes to our website to be sure this does not happen again.
L.A., CA
Reviewed October 11, 2006

I booked this hotel on their website. It gave me a rate of $45. When I got to the hotel they had a sign that said the rate was $35. When I asked about this they said they only had a few rooms at this rate. Another person came in and they gave them a rate of $42. It seemed like they made up the rates as they went along. Another friend paid $53. I went to my room. It was very small (they todl me this was one of their better rooms). The rug was so dirty that after walking barefoot on it for about an hour my feet were black. There are "workers" staying there during the week that haug around outside their rooms with their doors open. The place as dirty and the office staff was disorganized. Towels and sheets were always stained and had holes on them. If your a trucker you can get a good rate

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Small - felt dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want Vagabond stay at Bakersfield South
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Candlelady
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2005

I mean, what do you expect for $45 a night? It's one of those places that looks a lot better from afar than from up-close. The place was slightly shabby and appealed to truckdrivers -- some of whom fouled the air just outside the main office -- but it's a decent value. Fine if you're just passing through. Convenient location. Decent pool. OK beds. Most of the folks seemed pretty friendly, including the truckers. Breakfast included some great homemade waffles -- but no butter. Invest in some butter (or even margarine), and I'll give it four stars instead of three.

• Stayed June 2005