“Skip this place”

Ranked #49 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Skip this place”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was just looking for an inexpensive place to swtay for the night on my way from California to Nevada and yes it was inexpensive but not a good place to stay. My expectations were safe and clean, I don't think this place is eithet. On check in I requested a quiet location, I got high traffic noise, lots of car doors banging and two drunks kn ocking at my door in the middle of the night. The towels were supposed to be white but they were gray the bath tub had an oily ring around it. The floors were dirty. I probably should have left but tiredness from driving caused me to stay. The one redeeming characteristic was it was across the street from a buffet style restaurant called Hodels, which was very good and resonable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelermi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Junction City, Oregon
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Me my husband and 2 kids stayed at one of these hotels coming home from california going to oregon and needless to say the room looked clean and friendly but we got bed bugs from the bedding and i do not appreciate that now i can see why it was so cheap and gets low ratings i will never stay at a nother hotel again in my life i will sleep in my vehicle first.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank sparkleshw28
Gardena, California
Reviewed October 8, 2010

First of all, this is Bakersfield, not New York City. I was looking for an affordable place to stay while finding more permanent quarters. The rate was the best in town. There were a lot of people at the hotel, and I got a nice quiet room on the 2nd floor. The hairdryer wasn't working, but everything else was fine, clean linens, AC ran well. For the very low rate I am highly satisfied. If you can get down early enough for breakfast, the waffles are tasty and filling.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank valleysandbreezes
vagabondinnsouth, Director of Sales at Vagabond Inn Bakersfield North, responded to this review, December 5, 2010
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our motel; furthermore, thank you for taking the time to submit a review, guest reviews help us make improvements and retain excellence in service. We genuinely appreciate your patronage, and we hope that we can continue to serve your lodging needs while in Bakersfield. If you have any other comments or suggestions, please feel free to e-mail us directly at vagabondinnsales@gmail.com, thank you once again.
Beaumont, California
Reviewed September 2, 2010

This hotel is very friendly and has good access to all areas of Bakersfield. I drive a big truck and has nice parking. the staff is overly helpful to all. The front desk always has my res. and room ready when i get there. The rooms are very home like, Im away from home 4 days a week. The staff makes me feel like a home away from home. I stay here once a week. My wife likes knowing the staff looks outs and takes very good care of me here. I have stay here for the last 9 years, thanks to the staff for all the great service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank driverb0b
Thank you for submitting a review for our location, we have a large volume of truck driver guests, and we are glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service. We hope that we will always be your first choice while traveling through Bakersfield, and if you ever see need for improvement or renovation, please do not hesitate to let us know so that we can continue to strive for excellence in service and hospitality. Thank you once again :)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We really didn't enjoyed our stay in this hotel. Even though we didn't have great expectations, it was much worse than we thought! When we open the door of our room the air was so hot that we couldn't breath . So we turned on the air conditioning, but it was very noisy and so close to the bed that it was "windy"!! The carpet was very dirty and worn. Furthermore the shower leaked (a lot!) and the noise from the hwy was incredible! I used ear plugs, but it was useless. We slept no more than 2-3 hours in total. At 5 in the morning a trash truck woke us up, and I was so nervous that I decided to check out. It was one of the worst night ever.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank clarisse79
vagabondinnsouth, owner at Vagabond Inn Bakersfield North, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our location; furthermore, we would like to apologize if your stay was less than satisfactory. At the Vagabond Inn North, we work tediously to meet the various needs and requests of our guests in a professional and timely manner. Since your stay with us, we have invested in a large amount of improvements and renovations for our rooms, and we sincerely hope that you will return to enjoy our more recent upgrades, such as advanced carpet shampooing and steam cleaning, as well as new and rebuilt air conditioning/heating units. If you have any further inquiries regarding your stay, or suggestions for our location, please feel free to contact us. We hope you will return in the future and we look forward to hearing from you, thank you once again, and have a nice day.
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed July 19, 2009

The first room we received had a broken toilet and the AC did not work either. Being that it was 110F outside, it seemed reasonable to try and get these issues resolved. The room was also dirty with stains on walls and in the bathrooms. We called the front desk and they did send maintenance to investigate in a reasonable amount of time. The maintenance guy was quite nice, but suggested that they would give us a new room. The next room had a working AC and toilet, but smelled horrible. We eventually tracked down the fridge as being the culprit and had to sterilize it with cleaning alcohol in an attempt to cover over the horrble smell. At this point we guessed that playing the "switch the room" lottery would not yield any better outcome a third time around. During breakfast, we overheard another complaint about AC come in to the front desk. After management hung up, they complaint to each other about how "When it is 108F outside, there is only so much an AC can do". It was pretty apparent that they don't actually care to fix their ACs and just continue to put people in the rooms in hopes that they won't complain. I highly recommend you try other options or skip Bakersfield altogether if you have a choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Schumar
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our location; furthermore, we would like to apologize if your stay was less than satisfactory. At the Vagabond Inn North, we work tediously to meet the various needs and requests of our guests in a professional and timely manner. Since your stay with us, we have invested in a large amount of improvements and renovations for our rooms, and we sincerely hope that you will return to enjoy our more recent upgrades, such as advanced carpet shampooing and steam cleaning, as well as new and rebuilt air conditioning/heating units. Additionally, we would like to apologize for any misunderstandings and communication errors on our part. If you have any further inquiries regarding your stay, or suggestions for our location, please feel free to contact us. We hope you will return in the future and we look forward to hearing from you, thank you once again, and have a nice day.
Sacramento
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Bargain travelers must be tolerant of economy lodging like this. It's near a busy freeway, with lots of room for truckers to park their rig. There are also many itinerant tradesman who stay at lodging like this because it's cheap and near their work. These are usually decent, respectful people but they are very hard on the rooms and the property and the thin profit margins don't allow for much in the redecorating budget. The operators try to keep up but it's a constant battle.

Don't stay here if you don't understand the clientele...you will be disappointed. If you can adapt your expectations and go with the flow, you'll be fine. My night was fairly quiet and the bed and bedding were good enough. The bathroom was sub par, but I got in and out fast. Unless you like donuts, skip the breakfast.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank curtismapman