“Oasis in Bakersfield” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
A TripAdvisor Member
“Oasis in Bakersfield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Returning from our recent vacation to LA, we stopped at LaQuinta for a much needed rest after a long day. The front desk staff was very friendly and happy to help us at 1 am in the morning! The price was great. The room showed some signs of wear but it was spotlessly clean and that is what matters! In the morning the staff was, once again, chatty, smiling, friendly and happy to help us. We enjoyed a hot waffle, fruit and coffee,at the continental breakfast provided, before continuing our journey home to northern California. This was our first stay at a LaQuinta but it certainly won't be our last! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Seems like this location's reviews are all over the place which is a bit confusing guess it depends on the person, their expectations and maybe the luck of the draw. Granted a fridge would have been nice, personally i don't care about the microwave, but i also don't expect this unless listed in the amenities. The room i had was on the top floor, the stay was quiet and uneventful. Bathroom was a bit small had i not been on my own, but this is normal and within expectations. The bed was comfortable enough and check in and out was good. The breakfast bar was disappointing as there was no hot food and really not much else there, had an orange juice and moved on... Would stay again though as hotel was fine for an overnight where i was attending an event in town and not spending the evening in the room itself. Though was comfortable enough in the room itself which was no cramped except the aforementioned bathroom.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Fresno, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

In mid November I started searching web for a motel/hotel in Bakersfield with a smoking room available on Christmas Eve. We are getting a little older so always try to upgrade and find a suite with sofa or chairs for a little more comfort. Places I had previously stayed in Bakersfield had gone none smoking so it took a little time to find a place. At La Quinta website I entered my date and checked box for smoking. The results showed a king suite with picture of sofa for $75. I was amazed with price but thought for 1 night worth a try. I almost never book online and call to verify to be sure I get what I want. I called and said I wanted the king suite smoking room and also verified that it had a sofa has picture showed. The person said it was $90. I said seeing it on web for $75 and she gave it to be for that. All seemed good until check in. At front desk I said I had a reservation, gave my name and handed the lady my credit card. She then said I see you have a king suite smoking and I said yes. She then said they have a king suite but not smoking, just a regular room with king smoking. I explained I made the reservation for a king suite smoking and she had that in her computer so it should be honored. I was told they could not. After some back on forth on it I asked to speak to a manager. The manager was gone for day so I demanded reaching manager on phone which they finally did. Again I had to demand with the manager that they honor what I made the reservation for. They gave in and gave me the suite and wrote on receipt that smoking had been approved by manager. Beyond that issue we were very please with the room. It was clean, kind of plain and simple but still very nice. I also expected an uncomfortable bed but is was great to. The room well worth the money even at regular price of $89 per night. Also did not experience the noise or other issues some have complained about.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wheeler, OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here because my in-laws had collected points and essentially gave us a "free" stay. (We did pay a minor upgrade for a King room.) We opted for a smoking room for safety because of the area, though we usually do not do so. Note: That bit of info may be important for the rest of my review. The staff at check-in was friendly, however it was not the same at check-out.
We were surprised that this room was lacking two things every other room on our vacation had- a fridge and a microwave. We thought these were standard now, but apparently not. (Half a tuna sandwich was sacrificed after learning this.)
There was a bedside lamp without a light bulb, and it remained bulb-less throughout our three-day stay, despite having removed the shade so the housekeeper could see it.
The bathroom fan may not have even been hooked up. As a result, a shower fogged up the whole room. Also, the toilet did not flush properly and the bathroom door itself didn't shut all the way (perhaps the wood was swollen because of the fan issue?)
On the first night I stepped on a sewing needle walking to my suitcase!! I also went through numerous pairs of socks because the carpet was so filthy.
There was a slimy, black scum on the bottom of the shower that a bit of bleach would have eliminated. There was also a black pubic hair behind the bathroom door. (Blech!)
Breakfast was so lacking we never partook of anything but hot water for our Starbucks Via, as even the coffee was terrible.
We were there over a weekend and discovered that the crowd arriving at 2am was very disruptive. The windows are single-pane so one can hear every single noise. We were also near an elevator, which was very noticeable.
Bottom line- if this stay was not free for us we would have moved somewhere else. I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheLadyRaine

Travelers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I LOVE La Quinta properties. I have a credit card with them and accumulate lots of points I use on many trips each year with my dog. I schedule my appointments in part, based on La Quinta locations. I stayed at this location twice in a 7 day period as it was half the price of the Bakersfield North location. Well, the staff were nice. The other guests were nice. The wild pitbull sleeping in the bushes that chased me was quite eventful. I say wild because each evening this dog would return and sleep in the same location. We stopped parking at this end of the lot near the medical center. Then the various people congregating between Ihop and the gas station...well, I felt uncomfortable. But what made me take the time to write this review, unfortunately, was the roach trap left behind the tv. It was about 4 inches by 7 inches, glue pad, with more than 5 various sized roaches. N-A-S-T-Y-!!! This really sucked because the room was presented well. I'm really disappointed but I guess you cant be perfect all the time. Easier to accept if La Quinta hadn't been perfect on so many previous reservations. This is likely more a management issue than a brand issue.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LaQuinta_Fan_Club
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Comfy bed and clean room. I was pleasantly surprised. Will stay at LaQuintas again soon. Stayed there because tired of bad beds and dingy rooms at Days Inn and for about same price we stayed here. Just wish there was La Quinta in more of the places I travel too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family