“Won't stay there again”

La Quinta Inn Bakersfield South
Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at many La Quinta hotels. I won't stay at the Bakersfield South again. There wasn't a top sheet over the blanket and the blanket didn't look like it was clean. Things like the laundry bag, note paper, pen, etc were missing. That made me wonder how well housekeeping cleaned the room. The hotel no longer provides a paper in the morning. We took our dog for a walk in the evening but didn't stay out long. We didn't feel safe in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marsdencci
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn Bakersfield South

A TripAdvisor Member
Garden Grove, California, USA
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at La Quinta South for a week on business, had I not brought my dog along I would have stayed elsewhere. I stayed in one of the upstairs suites.

The good:
The front desk manager was attentive and accommodating. The bed was comfortable, soft yet firm. The room looked clean, however walking around in my white socks they soon turned black. The air condition was quiet, due to the fact that it was outside in a closet somewhere, I noticed the regular rooms had the under window AC units. The room smelled good. I especially enjoyed the orange cream smelling shampoo. The breakfast was nice especially the fruit and DIY waffles. Most importantly they accept dogs with no added fee.

The bad:
The location is horrible, I never felt like my car was safe and I was never comfortable walking my dog in the grassy area. This is due to the fact that junkies and prostitutes are everywhere. I read some reviews on here where people were complaining about 10 homeless people begging and thought it was a crabby person on here with a bad experiencing exaggerating the truth. No exaggeration here, there really are large groups of homeless people, junkies, prostitutes wondering around the hotel at all hours. Someone mentioned something about a security guard looking out, I didn't seem him once during my week stay. My shower experience was awful, the pressure was inconsistent. I turned the hot water all the way up with just a trickle of cold to get it at a comfortable temperature, only to be scalded moments later when the hot water would suddenly blast off. I would adjust and soon enough I would be freezing from the hot water dying again. Early morning and late night showers seemed to be fine. The room seemed clean, although walking about the room in white socks would soon turn them black, so I would only walk abound in my sandals after that. One of my towels was dirty with obvious hairs stuck to it. My dog found a half eaten lollipop somewhere in the room which disgusted me. There was food in the fridge left from the last person who stayed there. The internet was horrible. It just wouldn't work despite having full wireless bars. The router had to be constantly reset, after being given a run around by their "computer" person every time. I soon got tired of calling and relied on my cell phone to tether the internet. There was an ice bucket but no lid, ice machine was on the opposite side of the hotel. Had trouble sleeping because if someone used water, I heard it loud and clear.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ricequeen12
A La Quinta traveler
North Bend, Washington, USA
Reviewed September 19, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had a great 4 day stay. Sara at the front desk was very helpful. The area was safer than some of the other reviews stated. The room was clean and better than most value motels. The waffles were great. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love staying at La Quinta but will avoid South Bakersfield. We had a double room, one bed was great the other was broken down and uncomfortable. There was a large, very noticeable divit in the bed and would cause you to roll into it. The room was small, in disrepair and the tub wasn't worth using. When I went to check out, I couldn't find anyone at the front desk. No one to tell what a bad experience our stay was.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Bragg, California, USA
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff. The double room is on the small side for two beds.
The beds were comfortable. The room and bathroom were very clean.
Had a excellent stay. Would definitely recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family