“Run down with bad service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Bakersfield
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
New York, NY
“Run down with bad service”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed in the doubletree for 2 nights as part of a conference in Bakersfield.
The first impression I had was of the run down nature of the property. The roof was cracked, windows and common areas were dusty and dirty, the rugs were worn and stained and everything looked worn and scratched. When I reached the room it turned out the lobby was the better looking part of the property. The room in addition to being worn also had a funky smell. The rug in the sink area was stained and sticky and I decided to keep my shoes on.
After the first night – I thought the worse was behind me. I went down for breakfast – because of my Hilton status I get a free buffet breakfast. The breakfast was pretty poor, bland and little of it (some of the items –e.g. scrambled eggs were empty). This breakfast also didn't have bowls for the cereal, so they were using fruit cup. That was a first for me. I also had the catered lunch. It was low quality and bland.
When I went back to my room in the evening I found out it was not serviced. I called down to report and was told they would come right up to clean it. After returning from dinner – I found out it was still dirty (both the previous grim and the little extra I left).
It’s obvious housekeeping and maintenance in this property in unprofessional and management does not want or know how to fix it.
All in all – run down property and horrible customer service does not make a very good combination for a hotel.
It's hard to understand how they pass their corporate inspections from Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

They offer wifi in the rooms for $12 a day. I find this unacceptable. We just spent 9 weeks touring the US and never got charged for wifi once. In this day and age, part of a decent hotel's service should include wifi just like cable TV.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Average hotel, spacious room, nice big kingsize bed. The room had a little balcony but no chair on the balcony. Wifi is USD 9,95 for 24 hours. Convenient next to the highway. A little bit dated. I would return to the hotel but it is not a hotel where you would like to stay very long.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for business because I wanted a full service property and I am HHonors Diamond. The customer service was outstanding, but unfortunately it cannot make up for poor maintenance and a dated hotel. When I arrived to my room, there was NO desk chair. I checked the bathroom just in case it had been moved for some reason, but still nada. I called downstairs and asked -was there supposed to be one and was, of course, told yes. And they would send one up. How could housekeeping miss that? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt; maybe the chair was broken and was removed. But surely there would have been a notification to replace it???
Next, I was going to order room service, but no menu. I gave up and decided to go out. In the meantime, when I walked in the room, it was not cool. The A/C was on 70-72, so I cranked it down to 65, which was as low as it would go and set the fan to HIGH. I left and came back, and by 4 hours later the room was still not cool (female with hot flashes cool). I called the front desk and they stated they would send someone to check it. A gentleman arrived and installed a new filter and made the comment that 'when it's humid the system has a hard time cooling' to which I replied that I travel every week and stay in many more hot and humid places and their A/C units can keep the rooms much cooler than this. I told him I would give it another hour.
An hour later, no change. I called the front desk and requested a different room, but would they make sure it was cool. I even suggested perhaps moving down a floor as I was on the top floor. They called me back and arranged for another room, and stated that the person bringing my new key had checked the new room and it was already cooling down quickly.
Moved to the new room, unpacked again. When getting ready for bed, pulled the comforter back and noticed that, on this king size bed, there was no fitted sheet; rather they had cheaped out and used a flat sheet on the bottom and it barely came down to the bottom of the mattress, much less would it tuck in-maybe an inch, but would never stay. See photos. At this point I was considering moving to another property, but it was late and I wanted to go to bed.
The last item that made this a 'never again' property was a bug that resembled a roach that was on my comforter.

Room Tip: many outside rooms are next to the freeway, inside rooms are courtyard/pool side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Upstate, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'm not a Hilton fan, but.....I was going to Bakersfield for my beloved Aunt's memorial service. I stayed at the Hilton because my cousin was going to stay there, and the deal was when I made my reservation, we would have rooms next to each other. I was staying for a week, and I went through AAA to get the reservation. The book said that the room was $85 -$140. The barely english-speaking clerk kept telling me a much higher price. I said I wanted the $85 rate, and in order to get this, I had to prepay for a week. Big mistake.

This hotel is located on the corner of Rosedale Highway, and Freeway 99 - which 8 lanes of non-stop noise.

I was in the very back of the hotel There is a balcony, and if I opened the door, it was like being in an airport. It was als overlooking a very noisy parking lot. The rooms were spacious, and clean when I got there. After that, I got service twice in 7 days. Someone had gone out on the balcony and smoked, and left their butts out there. They had never been cleaned up. There is a small fridge in the room, but no microwave. When I brought leftovers home from the many excellent restaurants in Bakersfield, I had to eat them cold. They could put a microwave in my room, for $15 a day, or I could hike my food to the cafe, and use theirs. The cafe was the equivalent of two blocks away.

There was an Indian wedding going on and the place was packed, but many of the areas were blocked off, and you really had to walk (Plus after all that, I didn't even get to see the celebration!)

The pool was warm, there weren't any towels, and there was debris in the pool.

When I hadn't heard from my cousin, I called her. She had gotten in the night before and was in a completely different part of the hotel. They did move her, but not next to me. she had had it after one night and moved down the street to the Comfort Inn. I was stuck because I had prepaid for this.

I've traveled a lot and stayed in a lot of hotels. This was a really lousy experience. I would not recommend this hotel. I will certainly find another place when I go home next time.

Room Tip: Get one in another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here on a trip from san Fran to Vegas for the night.

Not a bad place at all, rooms Ok but a little dark. A little dated but nothing really to complain about.

Pool area very quiet but really clean and nice. Breakfast Very expensive and far too huge a portion.

Went across the car park to eat, to find some vehicles had been robbed, so this nerved us a little. However it was a nice steak house across the road. Lovely meal.

For a stop over,. not a bad place, but there is really no other reason to stay in Bakersfield - odd place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxnard, California
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Front Desk was polite and the foyer seemed okay. Good cookies. The surprise was when I got to my room. I had to drive around to the back of the hotel and enter through a side door. The carpet in the halls should have been my first clue. I just assumed it may have been a little dated. Then I got to my room and the door jamb had been drilled so many times for the locking mechanism that if I had really thought about it, may have been alarmed. The room was clean...as clean as you're going to get an old hotel. I just tried not to think about the "60 minute" reviews on hotel rooms and what you might find and went to sleep so that I could leave by 6:00 the next morning. It really needs a major update. I do have business in Bakersfield at least once a month and this was the first time I had stayed over. I will definitely be trying the other hotels nearby next month

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business