“Worth the Priceline price, but not double(tree) it!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Bakersfield
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Worth the Priceline price, but not double(tree) it!”
Reviewed October 27, 2007

My husband and I booked this hotel very last minute on Priceline for $60 a day. We made reservations for the same night. A pretty good price!

Upon check in, we received our warm chocolate cookies and then drug our luggage through the hotel maze. Had we known our room was nearly 3 blocks away from the front desk, we would have drove around. Our 1st room's air conditioner wasn't working properly. We called maintenance and a man showed up merely 5 minutes after our call. We called the front desk and asked if we could switch rooms. They put us in a room 4 doors down with a working A/C. Within 5 minutes, another man arrived at our door with the new room keys.

Even though it was close to the freeway, we never heard any traffic sounds. The layout of the hotel is such that no matter which floor your room is on, you have to use stairs to get to. It might not be very accessible to a person with a wheelchair or someone who has a hard time climbing stairs. Yes, there is an elevator but it is still a walk depending on where your room is.

I used the fitness center once and they have two really nice Precor treadmills, one Precor elliptical, and two recumbent bikes. The cardio equipment all have televisions attached to them. There is also a water fountain, fresh towels, and multiple weight machines. Headphones are also provided for the televisions on the cardio equipment. Very nice for a fitness center!

We had to checkout very early (4:30 am). Their computers were down and so we weren't able to get a bill.

The day after we checked in, I went to the front desk to ask if our stay could be put on my Hilton Honors card. She said yes and proceeded to enter my information. A few days later when the stay didn't show up, I called and asked why. She pulled up our information and told me that because I booked on Priceline, it could not be added to my Hilton Honors card. I understand that, but it would have been nice if they lady told me that the first time.

• Liked — The fitness center
  • Disliked — The layout of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reharden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
MEM
Reviewed September 1, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying here for business in July, and I'd stay here again if in the Bakersfield area for business.

This hotel has about everything you'd need if you're stuck in Bakersfield without a car and two full days of meetings at the hotel. Check in (even at 2AM) was a breeze, and the airport shuttle came promptly when I called them after my plane was delayed several hours. Kudos to the hotel for this free service.

FOOD
Breakfast buffet is decent. What you'd expect though from a Doubletree. It, naturally, was overpriced, as was everything from the Starbucks in the lobby. But at least there WAS a Starbucks in the lobby, which is more than most hotels offer. We ordered in lunch one day, and it was fabulous, although saying it was overpriced would be a nice way to put it. But I’ve never seen a catered meal in a hotel that wasn’t. Room service was as to be expected – delivered quickly, hot and without mistakes.

POOL
What a pool! Right in the middle of the property, with plenty of places to sit, relax and enjoy the California weather.

ROOM
Nice sized work desk, comfortable king bed, and a working television. These are three of the necessary parts to any business trip, and the Doubletree provided all. Room was in good working order. Housekeeping did a fine job cleaning things up.

OVERALL
Overall, the hotel gets 4 out of 5. It has a bar onsite, with happy hour specials to top it off, and the front desk staff was quite pleasant to deal with. The shuttle to and from the airport was fast and readily available. The hotel had a pool, gym and plenty of free parking. This is an excellent hotel for your needs in Bakersfield.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I wanted to stay here because of past experience with Doubletree Hotels. I would have to rate my stay as "unacceptable".

This Bakersfield Doubletree seems to cater to the local party crowd. When I went to the exercise room after dinner, I was surprised because they had nice modern exercise equipment with flat screen video monitors. But, all but one of the audio sockets was thrashed and the headphones produced intermittent audio. Watching Fox News without sound isn’t very “fair and balanced”.

They had about 9 various exercise stations. In the room were 5 persons who I thought were off duty maids and maintenance workers working out, in their street wear!

That was rather strange, until I took a walk around the well kept grounds. Maybe tonight was “employee appreciation night”, because the pool area had a lot of families by the pool. There were many more than I normally see on a business night.

I was glad my room was on the 3rd floor away from the very loud Salsa Dance Club. No question, there were some great dancers enjoying the pulsing Salsa musica. The dance club was packed to overflowing. So if dancing or watching dancing is your thing, this is the spot. Dancers were cooling off in the hotel lobby and out back into courtyard. Luckily my room was a good distance away from the club and upstairs.

Next morning at 7 am there was no hot water for my shower! Needless to say I was ticked off, but my morning was busy, and then later just before checking out of the room the toilet over flooded!

I reported both these things as a complaint to the front desk while checking out. All they could do was say sorry and that they were having problems with the water heater that morning. (But, they gave no excuse for the toilet overflowing.) They seemed ready with their water heater problem answer, likely a lot of complaints. My guess is that they have that as a daily problem because the water heater isn’t sized large enough. What really irked me is they made no attempt to compensate me for their plumbing problems, all while taking my money.

If you chose to stay here, I hope you have a better experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Atmosphere and bad plumbing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank daishso

Travelers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

malcoholio
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Last year I stayed in Bakersfield for a Soccer Tournament. The hotel I stayed in was Excellent! Clean, friendly, reasonably priced, and with a free breakfast!

Unfortunatlly that hotel was the Courtyard. . . NOT the Double-Tree. So this year when I needed to drive from San Diego to San Jose, a night in Bakersfield seemed a good idea. I booked the room the day before. . so figured my $175/night was just because it such a great place. Turns out. . What I paid for was a night of a runny nose. Let it be known.. the only thing I am alergic to is MOLD!

And then there is the Telephone, which kept ringing, with only a dull hum on the line. After seprate calls, I finally unplugged them from the wall to make the rings stop. And of course the 'free internet' didn't work. . so I'm using my cell-phone to write this review. . . Yes, that is how bad this place is.

The room is spacious.. yes. . but damp, and I sure hope those stains on the Armiore are not what they look to be. I'm just thankfull my wife and kids are too tired to really notice I booked a loser.

My advice. . call the Courtyard, it's (literally) just across the street, and twice as nice!

Oh. . one last thing. . Thursday night is 'Salsa Night'. . I checked in at 10:00pm, and the 'party' was just getting started. Every Migrant worker in the county was wondering the in the door looking to score. At least the gal at the front desk found me a room on the far side of the property, reducing the loud Latino music to a dull thud.

The pool looks nice. . but I'll be out of here tomorrow ASAP, so I'll never really know.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
California
Reviewed May 11, 2007

I was staying at a different hotel for a 5 day business trip & just couldn't stay another night. I canceled at the hotel I was staying at & just drove around looking for another pace to stay. The staff at the front desk were very nice & helpful. I was able to get a room for 4 nights & the State/Government rate ($84) my Dept. reimburses me for. The room was clean, smelled nice, clean bathroom w/ plenty of towels. There's a very nice pool spa area, but I was busy w/ work & didn't get to use. I put a DO Not Disturb sign on my door the entire trip since I travel w/ a lot of computer equipment & didn't want to have to put it away for maid staff convenience. No one disturbed my room the entire week. There are a few restaurants nearby that are worthwhile. One drawback is that there's no free continental breakfast like most. On-site restaurant w/ med-priced food. Bar connected.

• Liked — Clean & near everything I needed right off 99 freeway
  • Disliked — no free breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed April 27, 2007

Last week I spent 6 relaxing nights at the Doubletree. I didn't expect much after reading some of the reviews here, but five other hotels i called were booked solid so I gambled on the Doubletree___and what a pleasant surprise. My room was spacious, the staff pleasant and the grounds were lovely.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank ElizaSue
Denair
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Not what I've come to expect from a Double Tree. It does have the Double Tree Price, but not the quality.

The Lobby is very nice, but once you enter the elevator and walk into your room you realize you've been deceived.

Poor maintence, poor cleanliness, not even close to the standards and quality of what you pay for.

• Liked — The Cookie
  • Disliked — broken bathroom door
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business