There aren't a lot of safe, decent places to stay in Bakersfield; however, this Marriott does not deserve a solid review simply because there are no other acceptable places in the area, as it does not live up to the Marriott reputation.
The entire place seems old and falling apart (much like the rest of Bakersfield). I was expecting at least the Marriott to be better than the surrounding area. The elevators are slow and the buttons don't always light up, so you're not sure if you're even going to the right floor. You have to put your room key into the elevator before hitting the floor, but that didn't always work before the elevator started moving, so you often miss your floor. The walls are paper thin. I should have taken pictures of the carpet in our room, as it had obvious mold stains. The carpet was deteriorating and dark, and was molding in many spots. The bed was a rock and, for someone who rarely complains about the bed (I can pretty much sleep anywhere), I had a terrible time falling asleep here. The internet took forever, and there was no fridge or microwave in the room. When I called the front desk to ask if there was a microwave in the lobby or restaurant area that a guest could use to heat something up, she rudely told me there were no microwaves in the building for guest use. Umm...it's a Marriott and it's 2014. I've stayed at sleazy motels where there is a microwave set up for guest use, if there is not one provided in the hotel room. If there is no microwave at all, at least let me heat it up in the restaurant microwave! So there went my dinner. Later in our stay, the bartender on Sunday night was completely rude and ignored us for 14 minutes before even acknowledging we were seated in front of him. He slowly made his way around the bar, didn't even glance at us as we sat down, and then headed out of the bar to check on customers in the restaurant area. I understand he was probably stressed, but he shouldn't have taken that out on his customers. Everyone at the bar was grumbling. The only laundry facility for a 9-story building was in a room straight from a Law & Order episode, with only two washers. Overall, I expected WAY more from a Marriott.
The only pro would be its location, as it is adjacent to the Convention Center. Stay somewhere outside of Bakersfield and drive to the Convention Center. You're paying for parking at the Center regardless, and you'll have a much better experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center is located in the heart of beautiful downtown Bakersfield. Unique amongst hotels in Bakersfield, we are a full-service Bakersfield convention center hotel that is connected to the Rabobank Arena, Theatre & Convention Center complex. Featuring eight meeting rooms and 9,136 sq ft of total meeting space, our Bakersfield, CA hotel is ideal for meetings, training, and conferences. Enjoy our hotel's high-tech guest rooms and suites featuring 32" HD TVs, high-speed wireless internet access, luxurious bedding package and luxurious amenities. Concierge level rooms and suites offer an added level of sophistication unrivaled by other Bakersfield hotels. After work, guests can enjoy the endless options for shopping, dining, or simply enjoy an evening at our hotel's restaurant - The Nines, featuring fresh, American cuisine in a contemporary, upscale setting. Stay in the heart of it all at the luxuriously appointed Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bakersfield Marriott At The Hotel Bakersfield
- Bakersfield Marriott At Hotel
- Holiday Inn Bakersfield
- Bakersfield Holiday Inn