Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center
$99
$89
HIExpress.com
$146
All reviewsthe executive loungefull serviceample free parkingrabobank arenarailroad tracksamtrak stationking roomexcellent hotelrooms are cleanfitness roomroom keyoutdoor poolsan franciscofront desk staffone night staybed was very comfortableparking lot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is an upscale hotel with good restaurant, well stocked bar, and attentive wait staff. I am Platinum Elite level in the Marriott travel rewards program (I stay at a lot of Marriott properties). This was my first stay - my room is on the concierge level - it is clean, comfortable, and has a large desk with wired and wireless internet connect. The room has a thermostat so that I can set cool or heat and can turn the fan on continuous or automatic; it is not a wall unit, therefore it is quiet.
The restaurant wait staff has been great -- I maintain a low glycemic index diet -- I told my waiter my dietary requirements and he knew what I was talking about. He made thoughtful recommendations; I had halibut, with green beans; he added a ragout which was creative and very tasty. He suggested a Merlot from a Napa Valley winery that I have visited and find to be a good choice for table wine.
The hotel lobby is spacious and is nice for meeting customers. The business center has a limited computer offering; however, I needed to print some documents and a boarding pass - my documets were PDF fomat, on a memory stick; the computer opened from the memory stick, documents printed (in color), in moments.
The only deficiency was in the concierge lounge - coffee was served in styrofoam cups instead of porcelain; I can cope.
The hotel is easy to get to and has a large parking lot.
I have several business trips scheduled in Bakersfield -- this is going to be my home on each of the trips.

Room Tip: I prefer a High floor -- better view -- typically quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you had a great stay at the Bakersfield Marriott. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Bakersfield soon

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Very nice hotel with a curtious staff good restuarant and bar. Easy place to do business with plenty of room in the lobby to meet. Comfortable and clean room with clean comfortable bed and nice working area.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Bakersfield Marriott at the COnvention center, It is our goal to not only meet but exceed the expectations of our guests at all times. We look forward to assisting you on your next trip to Bakesrfield.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

We used to enjoy visiting about once a month, but will absolutely never go back. Service has slipped horribly. In the lounge, last month our group waited 30 minutes before we were even acknowledged -- and service didn't get much better. Today was almost as bad. And when I complained, I was asked if I wanted to speak to the manager. I don't want to speak to a manager. I just want good service, especially when I am paying high prices.

Room Tip: Choose between street noise and railroad noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the issues you recently experienced.
I apologize once again for the trouble this may have caused you and we thank you for taking the time to assist us in personalizing not only your experience but every guest to come.
Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly
at carlos.navarro@bakersfieldmarriott.com. Again thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The Bakersfield Marriot was a nice litte surprise. Wasn’t expecting much but when I showed up I was glad to see a nice modern hotel. The room was very comfortable and the bed, desk, tv, and all the little things were nice and clean. The restaurant, bar, and lobby downstairs were perfect for business travelers. It had free wifi and was a good start to my work trip in California. No minifridge or microwave in the room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2011

While the hotel itself has been cosmetically upgraded and looks modern and clean, the biggest problems at this Marriott are the systems that weren't updated and remain out of sight. My room had the LOUDEST air conditioner that I've ever heard. It rattled and banged like a jack-hammer ALL NIGHT. I called the desk at about 1 am because I couldn't sleep and they offered me the choice of two other rooms, however after previewing them it became apparent that the air conditioning noise problem was systemic. In addition, one of my windows was broken and wouldn't open, while the other one only opened a few inches so getting fresh air into the room wasn't really an option.

After a long, terrible night of either being too hot or listening to the prehistoric air conditioning unit bang, vibrate, and clatter, I decided to switch hotels completely for the duration of my stay. The desk staff was very understanding and didn't charge me for the night, however something needs to be done about this problem. After reading other reviews on here and on other websites, I am now aware that others also found the air conditioning at this hotel to be disruptive. It is. Believe us. Additionally, this hotel is, like others have said, in a mediocre end of downtown (that I wouldn't walk around in at night), not close to any restaurants or stores, and is located practically on top of the train line so there are train horns going off all night long. Unless they replace the air conditioners, I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business