“A Good Experience”

Super 8 Bakersfield/Central
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I often travel by myself, well me and my small dog. I have spinal arthritis and like to be on the first floor and I like my car to be in front of my room and I want a hotel that accepts pets. Remember, often pet rooms are limited. I find booking directly with the front desk actually is better than booking online, however, one front desk clerk recently told me that the secret to getting what room you want and getting the best price, is to book online with whomever (just remember, if you want to change something, like stay less than booked, you must call the provider, not the front desk), THEN call the Hotel front desk and confirm your reservation and ask for what you want, tell them you have a pet etc etc. I had a wonderful room at this Motel, clean, clean, pool sparkling, never saw a roach or bug and not even ants! The grounds were clean and very well kept. Nice green grass areas for my little dog. Well lit at night in all corners. Even though it is near the Freeway, I had the first room from the road, I'm not deaf and I slept very well. Handy to various fast food places and access to the Freeway when leaving. Just an FYI though, at 8:00 am I had a knock at my door. I NEVER open the door and didn't in this case, but looked out the window and found a 'street person', a man, at my door. I told him to go away and immediately called the front desk who said they'd immediately look into it. The man then went to the next room and did the same, however, when I looked outside again he was gone. About a 1/2 hour later, as I was packing my car to leave, I saw the same man coming towards me across the parking lot, but before I could say 'go away' and dash into my room, the Manager who has a view of everything happening at the Motel, came across the parking lot and took care of sending this man on his way. I thanked the Manager at checkout and told him I was grateful for his immediate action. The Breakfast is similar to anyone else and is fine for me. The coffee machine in the Breakfast area allowed a choice of weak, medium or strong coffee and I like mine strong and it was hot and good. I know that everyone has their own experience, but mine was very good and for the price and pet allowed I would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Other than the fact that one of the rooms had a roach in it, it was a decent stay. They switched us out of the roach room right away and had no hassle getting a new one. Beds were a little hard but slept alright anyways. Might consider staying here again

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
super8motelbakersfie, Webmaster at Super 8 Bakersfield/Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. While we reject an assertion that there is or ever was an insect problem at this hotel, we’re happy to provide guests with a replacement room when available if they are less than satisfied with the original in any way. I apologize for any inconvenience and am glad you would consider staying with us again. We value your business.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed at the Bakersfield Super 8 on Sunday, September 8th. Chose it because of the price, location and generally good reviews on TripAdvsor.

My wife and I knew we would be arriving around midnight after a long drive and we made a reservation just to be sure--even though we found it not to be necessary that evening. The young man at the desk was very amiable and gave us a non-smoking room around the side on the ground floor.

To make a long, awful story short, the next six sleepless hours were filled with people outside our room on the move--in cars and on foot. The room about two to three doors down seemed to be the center of an all night gathering. Was it a party or something else? I didn't want to know. Young men and women were coming and going from midnight until we left at 7am. I was not surprised to see the empty case of beer nor the young woman in a hot pink fishnet halter top outside their door as we left. We spent a very fitful night waiting for the conversations going on near our room to erupt into something unpleasant. Fortunately, they did not but the constant talk and movement made it impossible to sleep well.

When I mentioned the late night activities to the day desk clerk as I checked out, he asked no questions but replied with an "oookay" that I interpreted as "yeah, so what am I supposed to do about it?". I didn't press the issue.

The room was no prize winner either. There were stains on the carpet and the bedspread and burn marks on the toilet seat. I had to capture and flush away two medium size roaches before going to bed. My wife refused to use the provided soap even though it was still in the wrapper--it looked like it had been soaked in water previously. Oh, did I mention the fact that the smoke detector was chirping when we first got into the room? The night clerk came immediately to replace the battery but to do so he simply hopped up onto the TV desk/stand with his shoes on, changed the battery and hopped down. We cleaned the surface after he left. Lastly, we discovered that they gave us someone else's bill at checkout--which they corrected later via email.

Am I being unfair with this review? Were we just tired and cranky? That's possible, but we had spent the previous week and a half traveling thru California, staying at a different lodging almost every night. The Super 8 in Bakersfield is the only one that didn't live up to expectations and the only one that I felt compelled to comment about. Obviously, other guests have had better experiences. This was my mine.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don S

Dear Guest,

Thanks for these comments left several months ago. I wanted to make sure you know that we have improved and refreshed the hotel in many ways since your stay. While I wouldn’t suggest that your comments were unfair, they do not reflect a typical experience at this hotel then or now. I apologize if we failed you in any ways and hope you will stay with us again.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 8, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Room rates are good for the area. The breakfast is a plus. That saved me some money. Fast food and resturant are in walking distance. I will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business