“Great night’s sleep in pleasant surroundings on a stopover driving to California.”

Courtyard Bakersfield
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Pleasant, helpful check in and out, all staff we came upon were very friendly.
We had a ground floor room with patio and by the pool. There was a cute gazebo right opposite our room in amongst a little garden area near the pool.
The room itself was large (a double queen room) with a good size bathroom and fridge. Wi-Fi was free with cables supplied and the reception was excellent and fast. In addition to the free parking and a coin op. laundry, the beds were super comfy with lots of pillows and the room and grounds were well maintained and very clean.
There are a few places to eat all within walking distance but if you want a good steak and good service, go for the Black Angus restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room by the gazebo
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
BFLCHGM, General Manager at Courtyard Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Thank you for your response MAXII. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. The Courtyard Bakersfield is a great hotel with an excellent staff. Please visit us again if you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Bakersfield

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Bakersfield is uninspiring but like most it was just a stopover for us. The hotel is a typical standard chain hotel. Clean & basic nothing more. Staff were v helpful & recommended somewhere to eat.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I stayed here while working/training in Bakersfield. The check in staff was very helpful and friendly. I checked in on a Sunday night and the hotel was almost empty. My room had an older, very loud, clanky AC. I don't mind the white noise of an AC but this had some sort of banging noise and it did not seem to cool well. The temps that day were well over 100 so I thought it was maybe struggling-and completely drew the curtains. Between the noise and heat it was hard to get to sleep and by 2 AM it stopped working completely (still over 90 degrees out). I called the front desk who cheerfully offered to send someone up. Really?? I admit I was really, really cranky-I had a certification training and high stakes test the next day and wanted to be rested, not waiting for and watching a maintenance guy messing with the AC in the middle of the night. My issue is this thing likely had to be having issues when housekeeping had been in and it should have been dealt with. I should have said something earlier, but I guess I thought it was just the way things were and it would be no different in another room.

I asked to move rooms asap-and by this I mean just move my body and phone/alarm to another room/bed and figure out what to do in the morning with my stuff. The room I moved to smelled like mildew on and off -not sure where it was coming from. At this point I did not care. Nor did I the next day as I was too busy to move AGAIN. The A/C unit was obviously newer. While it was still kind of loud it was not clanking and it cooled adequately. The sheets are comfortable, but the mattress just OK.

Otherwise, the staff is pleasant and the hotel tidy. I had the breakfast buffet included in my rate, and it was fine but nothing special. I was very glad to have protein choices and not just continental/sugar items. Workout room had 3 cardio machines and free weights.
As the week went on the hotel got busier, but still pretty quiet. However I am not sure how sound proof it is. I could hear every word another guest was saying-not sure if she was in the hall or next room. Luckily she did not hang around long.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This Courtyard is old and run down. I was disappointed in the beds and the rooms. However, it was economical and many families were staying here--perhaps because of the price range. It wasn't dirty just old, like things get. The rooms all seem to have a balcony looking onto the center courtyard with pool or large windows looking out (if you have any outside room)

The breakfast was nothing special and lacked in healthy breakfast options. The coffee was not good.

Room Tip: If you'd like to have a balcony, ask for an inner room overlooking the pool. About two chairs fi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed here last week with my spouse and 5-year-old child. The room was clean and as expected, although we could hear noise from the freeway during the night. The AC is extremely loud, and the drain in the shower was clogged, so my feet were covered in water as I showered. The bed was comfortable.

There is free wifi (it is a bit slow), and guest laundry. There was also a pool and hot tub, but we did not use them. We got a rollaway bed for our child, which was free and was delivered to the room within 5 minutes.

The front desk staff was friendly.

Given the few good lodging options in the area, it was an acceptable choice, and I would stay here again if I was driving through the area. We paid $125 for the night, which was not a great value.

www.riderbymyside.com

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Bakersfield was on our way to LA during our trip in May 2009. I've decided to stay in Courtyard by Marriott Bakersfield. That was great choice.
After long day of driving this was really pleasant retreat. Hassle-free check-in, nice, comfortable, air-conditioned room was ready for us. Room was very spacious (two double beds), clean and fresh.
TV, phone, internet access, coffee/tea maker, great bed and clean bathroom - what do you need more?
If you have to go to Bakersfield for some reason - this is the place to stay. Highly recommended. Plus this was really good deal.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Bakersfield is certainly not an enviable destination. I had to go for a conference and the conference booked a block of rooms at the Courtyard for us. The value was great - I booked a gigantic, one bedroom suite for only $90/night. It was huge and fit 5 of us, with a living room and the adjoining room was also our colleagues. The regular, non suite rooms themselves are very spacious and comfortable. Our suite had a coffee maker and mini fridge.

The one negative (besides that it's in Bakersfield :)) is that the bathrooms are very small.

But the bathrooms are clean, there are plenty of towels, the service is great, large lobby with lots of seating.

The "Continental Breakfast" is pretty crappy and its $10. Not reallyw orth it unless you are in a hurry.

Parking is spacious, ample and free.

They also offered free WiFi, there's a hot tub and pool (until 11 pm) and an exercise room.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business