“Not what I expect from a Best Western”

Red Lion Hotel Bakersfield
Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Vancouver, Canada
“Not what I expect from a Best Western”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed here last night, and was shocked by what I was greeted with as I walked into my room. Water stains and sagging on the ceiling from water damage, huge chunks of peeling wall paper, and dirt and crumbs under the bedside table, on top of the baseboards in the bathroom and well... it needs a lot of work. As others have said the beds are not in great shape, and the towels are less than soft.

I gave it a second star because of the help I got from the Front Desk staff, or at least the compensation for a problem we had AND, the outdoor pool area looked extremely nice. The breakfast was hot and the service was good. All in all, it was rather quiet, but I wasn't about to stay there a minute longer than I needed before I was on my way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed in this hotel twice, in February and in March, 2013. February was and I like to rate it as good: friendly staff, good room, $10 for the dog, good experience overall. In March however, lobby lady was definitely not friendly, we were given a poor room, probably because we had a dog with us. The room was very far away from everyhing; the door was dingy, and surprise, the dog fee was suddenly $15.
On the other hand, the inside garden of the hotel is very nice and the hotel is nicely situated, not far from the 99, but also not right next to it, so quiet.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the garden are nicest. The dog rooms tend to be not so great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California, Usa
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is going downhill. There are too many 'patch jobs' rather than fixes. The shower is impossible to set to a comfortable temperature. It wanders all over from hot to cold and bacj again. The towels are worn beyond use. Light bulbs are out and never replaced. Someone is trying to cut too many corners.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Henry W

Travelers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Sacramento
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I needed a place to rest my head for the night on my way to Las Vegas and the fact that I am a loyal Best Western customer. I chose this location. The outside of the hotel tricks you.

The room need major updates. Shower had to be one of the worst I have ever had. No power and tub would flood while you were in it. Carpets look like they haven't been replaced in years. Repairs done sloppy. Caulking doesn't fix everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rizzo3232
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I would have given at least a four star rating to this hotel, for the perfect quiet of the room, its cleanliness and the general pleasantness of personnel.
However, the fifth star is due to their perfect customer service: after leaving I realized I had left in the bathroom a set of expensive dental retainers. I called and they were recovered and promptly sent to me, courtesy of Mr. Philip.
This kind of service is what makes a difference and what will keep me going there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChefLuigiBo
new york ny
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Lets start with the swarm of ants crawling up the walls of my first room, not to mention the dirty sheets in the second room. Breakfast was more like being in an institution then a hotel.( The cockaroachs are a nice touch). Fitness center a complete mess when open. Staff nasty front desk manager actually lied to Best western when I called to complain. GM never returned my call. If you choose to stay here may God have mercy on your soul.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business