“good value”

Red Lion Hotel Bakersfield
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed April 13, 2012

last time stayed at the Double Tree, twice the cost for a place that wasn't much better than this one.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bmcuscgr94

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I generally stay at the Hill House, but have recently been encouraged by my company to save money. I used to stay here all of the time, until I started being ignored by the breakfast wait staff and noticing how unclean the rooms are an how there's always something not working correctly in the room(s). I travel by myself and generally arrive after 8 pm. Tonight's visit: the fridge in the room would not get cold and the carpeting under the vanity was soaked! When I went to the front desk, the woman there said I could move rooms-- it was 11pm. I can't wait to see what breakfast brings-- I'm wondering if the restaurant's "B" rating has improved... Sorry, company penny pinchers... I think next time I'll 'spend' the extra $13 for Best Western Hill House... At least the floor is dry!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Dodiek17
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Crystal Palace is just off Highway 99 but still very quiet. Most rooms face into a beautifully landscaped courtyard around both the pool and hot tub. Very nicely lighted at night. Breakfast is a hot, sit down meal next door at the restaurant. Very good meal for travelling on. Beds are nice and the units are very quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit that faces the courtyard. Check Roomsaver.com for discount coupons.
1  Thank Bobpen
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed on our Best Western points, so it was essentially free and it still wasn't worth it.

The room was clean and spacious. The shower worked well and had nice water pressure. They let us check-in early. The free breakfast was cooked to order and excellent. None of this really matters much when conditions there make it so you don't get a decent night's sleep.

FIrst off, the alarm in our room turned the radio on at midnight. It had never occurred to me to check it to make sure it wasn't on. I never use an alarm. I hit all the buttons until it went off and went back to sleep. Unfortunately, it went off again, and this time I had to wake up enough to turn on the light so I could turn it off properly.

But that wasn't all. Off and on, during the next six hours the pipes in the wall moaned, and groaned, and wailed like they were going through some sort of death throes. It was awful. Honestly, I rarely wake up at all during the night and can usually sleep through anything, but this was terrrible.

I would not stay there again for anything. Even if they paid me this time.

1  Thank Gina B
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I can't get too excited about this hotel or about Bakersfield in general, but I've stayed here twice and it's a fine place to stop on the way to other places or if you have to stay in Bakersfield for some reason.

The room was quiet enough, the beds were fine, it was pretty cheap, and instead of a continental breakfast they give you vouchers for the diner next door where the breakfast is exactly what you'd expect from a Bakersfield diner: ok.

Pros: right next door to Crystal Palace, of course, and a little convenience store. There's also an amusing Karaoke bar next door where people tend to sing depressing country standards. Cons: not enough electrical outlets, especially for four people who need to charge portable devices. Crappy lighting.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Place was tired and old needing renovation. The layout of the complex was a bit usual. The nightstand lights were not plugged in and the mini refrigerator was not working. The corridor outside our room was dirty and stained, simply needing mopping and sweeping. Our room was across the walkway from the laundry room and it was noisy into the evening. My ice bucket didn't have a plastic liner so I asked the laundry lady from across the walkway for a plastic bag. She said I'd have to go to the front desk to get one. When I told the front desk staff this, they just smirked. The lobby has peeling paint and is dusty. The bathroom vent is rusty and full of dust and the wall behind the front door of our room has a doorknob hole. Poor maintenance and management. A sit down breakfast is offered, slower and less options than a buffet but the staff there were nice. We use BW a lot but we'd skip this one.

Room Tip: Go and view the room first.
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Wow, what a find! If you find yourself needing a place to stay in Bakersfield go here. The place is super clean, the staff is very friendly, comfortable and clean rooms with good amenities. I was with a large motorcycle group and they even moved their shuttle van so we could all park under the awning right out front.

After I had checked in and had time to get settled I received a call from the front desk...just to check to make sure everything was to my liking and that i did not need anything else. Nice touch.

They also offer a complimentary breakfast at the attached cafe. Again, WOW! This isn't a make your own waffles breakfast, this was a proper breakfast with (5) different ones to select from - everything from (2) eggs with bacon, hash browns and toast to a big bowl of oatmeal with all the fixings. Plus it included coffee/tea. Super impressed.

I would definitely stay here again and I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends