“Would stay again”

Best Western Plus Hill House
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed one night at the Hill House. The rooms were clean, large enough and quiet, as long as we did not turn on the loud air conditioning. The bathroom was a bit small, but with all amenities. We had a microwave and coffee maker in the room and enjoyed swimming in the pool after our long drive.
Breakfast was good, with scambled eggs, toast, cereals, waffles, etc., staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank w84

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I was using their glitchy website to book online when I recieved an email showing my reservation for the wrong date. I immediately called this hotel and imformed them that their calendar widget was creating errors and that my reservation was wrong. They said it was too bad and they would not change or cancel my reservation that I had literally made 2 minutes earlier. My credit card company removed the charges but it was a hassle dealing with this problem. Greedy management and horrible customer service.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Brett W
Tripresponse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hill House, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

We are very sorry to hear this however we are not able to cancel or change the third party reservation.

G J Zala

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stay here weekly for business and have always had a pleasant stay. Staff is very attentive. Hotel site is very well taken care of and picturesque. Rooms are taken care of. Location is excellent lots of services near hotel

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This property is two blocks from the Amtrak station in Bakersfield California and consists of several two floor buildings. No elevators and there is a large canal through the middle of the property. The buildings appear to be older and refurbished. The building that houses the office also houses a Mexican restaurant/bar, however the latter is not part of the lodging facility.

Room Tip: Reserve a first floor room to avoid stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Three friends in two queen beds in a room that was spacious enough for our needs. Comfortable beds, decent furnishings, and no problems with noise. (We were on the second floor.) Note that there is no elevator, at least in the part of the building we were in, and this might be a problem for anyone with a disability. Staff was friendly, although we had no interactions with them beyond check-in. My only negative would be that the chlorine smell from the pool pervades the halls, although it wasn't noticeable in the room. At only $111, I'm not complaining. (The continental breakfast didn't look like much, so we took coffee to the room while preparing to leave and then went elsewhere.)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed here mid June due to its proximity to things I had to do while in Bakersfield , having lived and worked in Bakersfield for over 20 years I am quite gimp,Ira with area . Having said that the hotel did meet that criteria.
However late in the evening on my first day I went to put some bottled water in the small fridge provided only to find the previous occupants food still in there . Really, they didn't clean it out , Really!
I promptly called front desk and they indicated that cleaning staff were gone the day, but it would be taken care of in the morning. Tp tired to care I said that would work. I left early the next morning and didnt return until mid afternoon, first thing I checked was the fridge and again it had not been cleaned out.........again REALLY!
Yet another phone call and finally problem resolved.........

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank a12barblues
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Had to make some last minute reservations. I am not familiar with the Bakersfield area but was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel. Check in was extremely quick, room was clean and comfortable. I did not find anything wrong with the room or the over all condition of the hotel. Would like to try other Best Western Plus hotels in different areas to see if they compare. Great price too!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family