“Good place for me & my cat”

Best Western Plus Hill House
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
San Diego, California
“Good place for me & my cat”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here twice in 5 weeks; definitely will stay again if they still accept pets. Found this place when I learned another hotel in Bakersfield eliminated their pet policy. Hill House is a bit off the main drag, but the staff was wonderful, the room was clean, and I felt safe there. Was not feeling well when I arrived at beginning of my trip and Veronica was huge help to me at that time. Next morning when I was ready to leave, I couldn't find my cat! I knew she was in the room, I just couldn't see her. Sweetu was so nice to come to my room to help. On way back home, I stayed here again (with my cat). Staff remembered me as "Lady with Cat" and asked how we were, etc. Very friendly, helpful. Breakfast area off main lobby offered enough variety to get me nourished for a long drive! Definitely recommend this hidden gem. (I did not eat at their restaurant.)

Room Tip: Ask how to operate AC if you don't already know.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Laurene K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Bishop, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I visited Bakersfield, CA & asked my AAA friend to help me book a hotel. This one had a room with two queen beds for the two nights my friend & I needed to stay. The hotel I had in mind was not available. This one was not exactly right near my ultimate destination. It was worth it. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff, super helpful with directions. We had a very nice view of something other than the parking lot. Easy access to the pool, wonderful breakfast & great mexican restaurant on-site. Loved it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank Karen K Y
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hotel staff was great. Both the front desk and the morning breadfast staff did a good job. Room was of average size with WI FI connection, refrigerator and comfortable bed. Wish the wall unit air conditioner was a build in system as it was noisy. Avoid the Mexican restaurant/bar at the hotel. Average food but poor service. Would stay again in the future but not use the restaurant. rate a 8 out of 10.

1 Thank JohnK2923
Apple Valley, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I first found this hotel in June when AMTRAK provided me with a free room night. I had no idea it was across the street from AMTRAK. The staff is extremely helpful and nice. I recently stayed here again because my sister arrived by AMTRAK at 10:07 p.m. and there was no way I could drive over the Tehachapi late at night. Since my sister is handicapped, we received a handicapped room. It was perfect. Wish we had more time so we could have used the swimming pool. Maybe next time..

1 Thank Judith S
United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We needed to find a place in a central location to relatives and 2 of us needed to get on the train our last day so this hotel was perfect. We had a nice swim in the pool. The hotel is walking distance to the train station. The breakfast was good, but I would suggest having 2 waffle irons. The one was very busy on Sunday so we did not get an opportunity to make one. The rooms were clean. A good value for the money. I would definately stay here again.

1 Thank Deanna M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My daughter and I booked a standard king. We told them we would be arriving late. They stuck us in a dirty smoking room with burn holes in the rug and cob webs on the ceiling, claiming I asked for smoking. However, I do not smoke and there was no option to request smoking on the booking site!!
At 1 AM they claimed they had a cancellation and we could have another room. This is not Best Western quality and not as represented.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in room 100
1 Thank 881MadB
Tripresponse, Manager at Best Western Plus Hill House, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that your reservation was made through Expedia and it is specifically requested SMOKING ROOM IN YOUR RESERVATION.

We were sold out and we were holding the room as you had requested. When you checked in about mid night we did not have any non smoking rooms available.

After you checked in we had one cancellation, and we had called you if you like to move to a non smoking rooms.

In future if you use third party web site please confirm the reservation with hotel directly.

G J Zala
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our first stay was through a 'sight unseen' offer. We got a 2nd floor unit that we liked so we asked the manager to reserve the same or similar one for us on our return trip. Since it is at the top of the building it has a slanted ceiling which added interest. Everything was clean and in excellent working order; the shower was very good and the bed as well. WiFi was fast and easy to use. There is no elevator but the wide, carpeted steps are easy to manage.

The lobby is well-appointed, roomy and leads into a large breakfast area with numerous choices. The pool looked inviting but we had no time to use it. The parking lot had just been repaved so looked fresh and professional. Staff were friendly and courteous.

This hotel is only a few minutes from some cinemas and Tuesday is the discount night. It is just a short drive to chain restaurants and steak houses. Instead of taking a chance which hotel we might get next time (some are next to Highway 99), this one is in a quiet area, something we prefer.

Room Tip: Compare the price of the 2nd floor rooms to those on 1st floor. They may be more expensive but perha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple