“Great location for Rabobank Arena”

Best Western Plus Hill House
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a good place to stay after a concert at the Rabobank Arena (within easy walking distance of the hotel). The location is in fantastic vicinity to the venue. It's an easy 5-minute walk across the street to the arena.

Hotel staff was professional and courteous during our entire stay, always greeting us with a smile and making us feel welcome.

The room was in good condition. Bathroom was clean and the shower worked well. We didn't use the mini fridge, but it's always nice to have one for leftovers or drinks. A/C worked well. Bed was clean and comfortable.

Free continental breakfast was a plus. Standard fare (cereal, waffles, muffins, fruit, coffee), and there were some hot options (eggs and sausage). Nothing to really blow you away, but you can't have high expectations with a free hotel breakfast.

All in all, it was a great value considering the proximity to the venue. If we ever have another event at the Rabobank Arena, this Best Western is definitely at the top of our list to consider.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Hill House

Reviewed October 20, 2012

EXCELLENT location! We were able to WALK to the Amtrack Station (it's right across the street!), Downtown Bakersfield and to our concert at Rabobank Arena--and that really made our stay convenient. We didn't pay for parking at all during our time in Bakersfield. Room was very clean and upgraded, decor is nice, beds were very comfy. And the breakfast had all I wanted--WAFFLES (along with eggs, sausage, muffins, cereal, etc). Staff was very pleasant and professional. So glad we stayed here and would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

A great choice for any stay in Bakersfield. Quick and friendly check in, very clean and large room, great place if you have pets, very safe and easy parking. They also have a very nice pool and it is located next to a beautiful river. We arrived late and the woman at the front desk told us about a Mexican restaurant that was still open in walking distance. Very nice people work here and run a top notch establishment, highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed the night at a very clean and well taken care of older hotel in the downtown area of Bakersfield, close to many attractions which I did not partake in anyway. The outside area is clean and well taken care of and the rooms big and very well suited for a business traveler. The bathroom was older but the Tub area had been revamped with Granite and the Shower had good pressure. I may add that the that the commode had also been replaced and the flush was to die for, that is if you are into that type of thing!! The breakfast in the morning was not excellent but free is good enough for me--A few folks had not so good words for the Breakfast but I found them to be the kind that wanted a Marriott but were to cheap to pay the price. The Mexican restaurant that is attached had good food and probably the best thing "Happy Hour" Tues-Thurs. If you need a clean-well taken care of -friendly place to spend the night within walking distance of the heart of Bakersfield stay here!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012

stayed here while visiting Bakersfield and I have to say this is a great place to stay and save money: The rooms are spacious; they are not stuffy: the stuff is nice. They have free parking, free internet, and it's in a good location in bakersfield: I would recommend this place: and I would definitely stay here again:
I have stayed at the other expensive hotels like the doubletree by hilton: And I would recommend this any day over the doubletree:-

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Not a good start. We arrived early and were promptly told to come back at 3pm. I realise this is the check in time, but in 30 years of travelling I have never been told to go away!! Usually they at least offer to check to see if a room is available. Not here. We weren't even offered the use of the pool on a very warm day.
Anyway we came back later. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the decor was pleasing. As with other Best Westerns, free wifi, coffee maker, fridge, toiletries, hair dryer. Ice machine in the passage way, plenty of parking. Breakfast was adequate.
The location of the hotel is convenient, across from Amtrak station and convention centre. Lovely river walk beside the hotel.
We ate at Manuel's Casa De Mariscos, which is located in the hotel. Although we're not great fans of Mexican food, this was lovely. The owner recommended some dishes and they were great. Very friendly staff.
By the way, a young girl was on reception later in the day and she couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tripresponse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hill House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

I am very sorry to hear this, hopefully we will try our best to check in the guest early.

G J Zala

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here for the night as we were passing through. We were given one of the few rooms with an outside entrance. It seemed like it had been a former store room or something, though it was clean and large and ideal for our dogs. We were on the ground floor with a sliding glass door to the back parking lot. We just walked around a little fence and there was a very nice walking path along the canal and a really nice "doggy" area with benches a cleanup bags. All very pleasant. The staff was very nice. The complaint I have was the free breakfast. I have never seen a pot of oatmeal with an inch of water on top. The scrambled eggs were OK I guess but the sausage was microwaved and limp. There was cold cereal and bread for toast. When my husband asked if there was yogurt , he was first told they were out but then the gentleman came out with two he said he found in the frig. And then on the really nit picky side, they had jam but no peanut butter. There was also a waffle cooker that people seemed to enjoy. All in all I would say I would stay here again with my little dogs for sure. I might try somewhere else without them.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Tripresponse, Manager at Best Western Plus Hill House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

We are very sorry to hear this and will make sure that oat meal is cooked properly before we put out side.

G J Zala