Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed March 3, 2013

While on a last minute business trip with no hotel reservations, my two co-workers and I found most Bakersfield hotels completely booked due to some large sporting events going on in the city. We had a difficult time finding a hotel with 3 vacancies. After making many phone calls to various hotels, we hit on the Holiday Inn Express on Buck Owens Blvd. Kal, the General Manager, was manning the front desk at the time and answered the phone. He didn't have any regular rooms available but after hearing our dilemma, he kindly offered 3 upgraded rooms at a price that was just a little more then our company's per diem prices. When we arrived, Kal and his staff were very friendly and welcoming and we were checked in very quickly, The hotel seemed full of guests so we were even more grateful that Kal accommodated us so graciously, and the rooms turned out to be totally worth paying a bit more than our per diem allowed. The beds were a bit hard.... but in my case, the jacuzzi in the room MORE than made up that! :)

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was perfect; waffles, eggs, sausage, yogurt, fruit, and more! - a great way to start our workday off right.

I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Bakersfield! Thank you again to Kal, Harvey, and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stay at Holiday Inn properties all the time as its my hotel brand of choice and typically clean, quiet and consistent. Originally wanted to check into the HI across the road on Marriott drive, but they were out of double queen rooms due to a tournament group in town. Instead, we turned around and went to this Buck Owens drive location.

Not on a very nice street and parking wasn't as ample as most HI properties....walk into lobby and notice a cheesy looking spiral staircase flanking the lobby, looks a bit much for this place. Two men standing at check in desk with glazed looks on their face...not very amiable expressions, but we got a room anyway and headed upstairs for the nite.

The room was quiet as promised, though stepping into the hallway, sounds reverberated in all directions and the sound of the freeway was quite loud and coming from the opposite side of the hotel. I can see why so many guests complain about being placed on the highway side of this hotel. The bathroom floor was appalling with hair collected into the wall corners and tub. The variable shower settings and jet sprays were highly underwhelming. I'm not usually one for body jet showers, but opted to give them a try this time. What ensued was water spraying out in all directions from the base of the jet. Had there been no shower curtain in place, a puddle would have resulted on the floor.

Beds were comfortable and pillows were fine. Breakfast in the dining room was good as always...but this hotel is not one I'd stay at again. It is not as updated or "clean" feeling as other Holiday Inn properties, to me at least. I suggest you check out the Marriott drive Holiday Inn around the corner, behind the Black Angus.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the freeway side. Facing Buck Owens drive is fine. Our room was on the f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank sydra
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear sydra,

I appreciate that you took the time to review our property. It is good to know that you found our bedroom accommodations to be comfortable enough for your stay. However, I apologize that the parking condition was not at par with your expectation and the noise levels inconvenienced you. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel itself was fine; it's clean, and the service was great. However, I felt that it is not in the best part of town......I am a female and was traveling alone, and I felt like I shouldn't leave the hotel at night. Maybe that was just my own paranoia, but I travel quite frequently by myself and have never hesitated to walk to nearby attractions. Also, it is not nearby any kind of entertainment (aside from a strip club). No shopping, no good restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces Buck Owens BLVD, not the freeway. The freeway side is quite noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank nd_girl58701
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear nd_girl58701,

Thank you for your candid feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We regret your stay was negative impacted by our location. We hope this will not deter you from staying with us again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I stay in Bakersfield every few months on business and this is the best place I have found, quiet, close to restaurants and hotel is immaculately kept, the owner is almost always around and he and all his staff is very attentive to any needs...

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Hunthuntandhunt
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were using our Priority Club points to pay for our night's stay - I hope this wasn't the reason for the unfriendly attitude of the man on reception on our arrival and departure. The reception lobby is very impressive with a curved double staircase - it's a pity the welcome didn't live up to it.

Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable (great beds). There was a modern multi-nozzle shower in the bathroom, but the temperature control was faulty. Good choice of hot and cold breakfast items.

There's a patio and a small unheated pool at the rear of the hotel - this would have been a very pleasant place to swim and relax if the noise from the adjacent freeway hadn't been so loud that we couldn't hear each other's conversation.

This hotel is OK, but I can't really say much more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel to avoid freeway noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myhusbandandi
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A comfortable little hotel with great-looking, nicely appointed rooms. When we checked in, the gentleman at the front desk noticed that our car had a fully loaded luggage rack an offered to let us park outside the front door in the porte cochère. We took most stuff inside but enjoyed the piece of mind.

The shower console was fancier than I have seen in even 5-star properties. It has four jets, a shower head, and a temperature dial that was malfunctioning during our visit.

Yes, the 99 Freeway was a little loud but not bad enough to interfere with sleep - think airport hotel without the airport.

One other point to keep in mind is what the hotel calls a suite is not a suite at all. They consider a suite an oversized hotel room with sink, fridge and microwave. If you are traveling with family an need privacy, get two rooms.

Room Tip: The first floor has a poorly designed layout as some rooms exist on the 1st Floor near the ice machi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Balad
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A problem with our priority rewards reservation was resolved between central reservations and hotel management. The facility is beautifuly, very clean, and very comfortable. Thanks especially to Cal and housekeeper, Vasquez, for their attention and great service. We will stay again.
Jon and Donna

Room Tip: We enjoyed our King bed suite on the Buck Owens Street side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends