WINNER WONDERLAND
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
Alaska
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here last night and was wowed by the suite I was given at a reduced rate. The hotel is beuatiful, clean, well maintained, etc. The room was huge (for one). Quite franjly, it was one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in and I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels. Granted the services were limited, but the hotel and room lovely!!

Room Tip: Get a king suite-you won't be sorry-i asked for and got a quiet room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Worst Hotel ever! I can't believe that this hotel is allowed to stay in business! I stayed here for business and right from the start I had a horrible reception with the front desk Manager. His name was Kal. I couldn't understand a word he was saying and it looked like he was intoxicated. I told him that I couldn't understand him and he rolled his eye's like it was my fault! that right there made me feel like walking out and finding another hotel, but I was tired and it was almost 1:00 a.m, so I decided to just get my key to my room and end this awkward situation that I was experiencing. I went to my room and was about to take a shower when I saw thick clumps of hair in the tub that had dead cockroaches in it! My bed had little hairs covered on it that looked to be from the pubic region, so I called down to the front desk and the manager said he couldn't do anything about that and I heard him laughing to someone else while he was talking to me. I told him that this was the worst service I have ever had and right when I said that he had hung the phone up on me! I packed up my bag's and left as soon as that happened. As I was walking out I saw him quickly put away a bottle of Jack Daniel's. I told him that I am going to report him for everything that happened and he told me that nothing will happen because his dad own's this hotel and that he can do what he want's( while he was saying all of this he was wobbling all around and couldn't even hand me my receipt without falling over). LAST TIME I EVER STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: From what I have seen your better off sleeping in your car than staying at this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank john m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear john m,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

No SLEEP! The hotel is adjacent to the very busy highway 99 and an on-ramp. We had a 4th floor room facing the highway. You would think hotel designers would account for this and properly fit the hotel to dampen the noise. But this was not to be the case. The road noise was constant and incredible. The windows don't seal well - and even if they did, it wouldn't have been effective. The hotel is new, looks good, and I expected more. I'd never stay at this place again.

So why did the others review this property so highly? The hotel itself is nice and new. The staff is nice. So I must assume that they had rooms on the opposite side of the hotel from the highway - i.e., facing Buck Owens Blvd. - where there is a hope of quietude.

Room Tip: Ask (Demand) a room facing Buck Owens Blvd - good luck! I'd give you the name of the best hotel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DonJH
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

The front desk staff on arrival were very friendly and helpfull. The room was clean, good size, and comfortable for a business trip. Everything appeared to be fairly new at this Holiday Inn Express, unlike others I have stayed at recently. The breakfast was good and the staff friendly. I would definately stay here again, and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Comfortable, clean and friendly. From the moment we arrived til the moment we left we felt relaxed and at ease. Nice easy drive back to LAX the next morning after our long day at Sequoia National Park.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brea, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've traveled for a living for the last two years, and on a regular basis for the last 30. The General Manager, Cal, at this Holiday Inn Express is the best I've ever seen. He has a talent for making people feel comfortable, and welcome. Customer service is a specialty of his. The hotel itself has been remodeled. The bed was comfortable, and the room was a clean. The shower had an adjustable heater on the controls so you could heat it as hot as you wanted. Unlike other hotels that can run out of hot water during peak times like morning showers, this one had a dial with temperatures listed on it (just a tip, but start low and go up slowly because it works so well that it can get too hot if you don't). I was in Bakersfield in July, so I expected to suffer through one of those wall mounted air conditioners as it struggled to keep up with the heat. Not so! A wall-mount thermostat controlled a machine in a walled off closet that cooled the room within minutes upon my return in the afternoon. It shuts itself off after the desired temperature is reached, and it's not near as loud as those wall-mounted models. It had a decent pool, and an acceptable breakfast. Cal said he is researching the possibility of instituting some sort of happy hour evening routine like you see at Embassy Suites. I encountered numerous business travelers who find themselves in Bakersfield regularly, and have been repeat customers of Cal's for years. After one visit, I can see why. I'll be one too if Bakersfield business calls me back. I was there for three days, and had a great time... in Bakersfield. By the way, be sure to eat at the Buck Owens' restaurant across the street. I was told they had great steaks. I got a try-tip sandwich the was excellent, and big enough to only eat half. The fridge in the room kept the other half cold with my beer from the gas station next door for the next night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank maco11ier
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We got the family suite with 2 rooms, it worked out great, it was clean, and the hot breakfast was very good for being free with the room, it looked to be a newer built hotel, plus it has a well lit parking lot, I had a trailer load of stuff and nothing was stolen!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family