“too close to freeway”

Sleep Inn And Suites
Ranked #42 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed September 21, 2013

check in was easy, but they didn't have anymore kings left. so we got a queen bed which was too small for us, we wont do that again. you can hear the noise from the freeway and there was a used soap left in the shower. everything else was pretty clean. bathrooms were really big.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We really enjoy staying at the Sleep Inn at Bakersfield. Rooms are clean and roomy, air was on when we arrived in the evening. Friendly staff, beds are great and the pillows are soft. Breakfast was good and great choices.

Room Tip: Even rooms are by the parking lot, if you want to keep aware of your car.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Sleep Inn Bakersfield was located 15 minutes drive from downtown (about 6 miles). The motel was nice and cozy and had a spa outside. The room was okay in size, with a big bathroom and a bathtub but it was only queen-size beds (a little small when we were used to king-size). It also had a refrigerator, big TV and a microwave. We think that the Motel is perfect for several days.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I initially tried to book for two nights. Lucky for me it only went through for one and I had to make two separate bookings. When I called to try to change it to two nights the girl said she couldn't change it since I booked through a third party even though I booked it through choicehotels.com (their own website). This would be like buying something from Walmart.com and then trying to return it at the store only to be told they can't help me because I bought it from a third party. So I booked the separate stay online and proceeded to the hotel.

The feeling of queasiness began as I passed a lady of the night while approaching the round about that was home to several cradles of filth, including my own. While checking in, I noticed a note on the counter the clerk had wrote about a couple switching rooms because the smell was so bad. As I turned the corner to take the hall to my room, I too was hit with a near vomit inducing smell.

It was better once in my room ... until I opened the bathroom door anyway. I was then overwhelmed with the smell of cleaner in the bathroom that still held dirt and debris around the edges and trash behind the toilets.

The carpet was extremely worn. The mattress while old looking was fairly clean as was the area beneath the headboard. Of some concern was the electrical outlet beneath the headboard which had no faceplate, making a great hiding place for you know what. The nights sleep was fair, and it did have a flat screen tv, a fridge, and microwave. While working out at my van that night, I got the impression that I shouldn't be out there after dark. The next morning while at the van, I was approached by a girl coming from the neighboring hotel asking for money. She was a younger girl who was obviously on the wrong path with drugs but the soft spot in me obliged and gave her a five.

After that I canceled my reservation for that night and headed out of town. No way was I going to eat the breakfast. The price is cheap but you get what you pay for. The hotel is run down and the area is shady. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had arrived in Los Angeles after an overnight flight from Hawaii. We wanted to get out of LA before rush hour so we headed towards Bakersfield. I was exhausted from travel and we arrived here at the Sleep Inn at 9:30 am. The manager (Maria) immediately put her staff to work to prepare a room for us and by 9:45 I was in bed and asleep. That is great service. The rooms were very comfortable and I slept well. The breakfast is not that great, but will at least get you started in the morning. The hotel is located near some fast food restaurants and a buffet style restaurant (Hodel's). All within easy walking distance (if you don't mind the summer heat).

Room Tip: Rooms are very quiet and well cooled in summer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A friend and I had to stay overnight here during a long trip from the midwest out to Sacramento. The price of the room was cheaper, but the room itself was great! There was no loud noise from the freeway or anything, the free wifi worked well, and the staff was polite and courteous. The only issue I had with the stay was the free breakfast the next day had what seemed to be stale bread. Other than that, I really enjoyed my stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was good for the money we paid. The motel is easy to find. The rooms large-great bathrooms. Front of house staff really busy seemingly doing all kinds of other jobs as well. Not helpful -Greeted by "Yes" when waiting at check in desk... Not nice! I think that they were overworked and understaffed in their defence
Breakfast area a lot better than most motels.and simple but good breakfast on offer.
Just passing by one night -it was a satisfactory stay -welcome aside .I would revisit.MY overall rating is 'Good'

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple