“Wondering why I picked this place”

Sleep Inn And Suites
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were traveling north & needed a bed for the night. Well, we got a bed & it was pretty comfortable. The room was large & the bathroom almost bigger. However, that's about the only positive comments I can make. The location is right next to the freeway & we could hear the traffic all night. I couldn't turn on the fan to mask the noise, because it only blew cold air, & I couldn't regulate the temperature. The message light blinked all night on the phones (even though one didn't have a dial tone) & no one could help us fix them. Breakfast was coffee, juice, cereal, toast & waffles. There had been something warm at one time(we were there at 7:30am) because there was a warmer with some residue in the bottom. After we had been there a bit, a gal put 3 frozen sausage patties in it. We tried to warm one in the microwave provided, but it didn't work, so we gave up. When we checked out, they couldn't even give us a receipt because they were having computer problems. Their website shows a spa, but it wasn't working. Need we say more?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 22, 2013

i checked into my first room to find that the closet door was not attatched, there were hairs in my bathroom, and stained sloppy towels(both rooms). The desk clerk moved us to a different room with a broken lamp and a big tear in the carpet in the middle of the room. This hotel did have many very new things in it, the table lamps and artwork in the rooms were a nice modern touch. the Desk clerk who was their in the afternoon/evening during my stay was not dressed very proffessionally and barely acknowledged that i was there! she could at least smile and say hello. Also, she was little to no help at all with navigating myself around a strange town. however, my semi poor hotel stay had little affect on my great trip to town. thank you

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2013

A pleasant and clean room, comfortable bed, convenient microwave and refrigerator are all positive aspects at this reasonably priced hotel. The location is a bit rough, but close to the venue at Hodel's where we conducted business. Areas needing improvement include the shower head, which delivered a rather anemic stream of water. The ironing board, which was a nice amenity to have available in the room, could have used a better fitting cover. (The foam pad stuck out on one side and made it difficult to iron properly.) Also, one evening when we returned to our room after a long day, it had not been cleaned. I'm sure there must have been some miscommunication, because the room was nicely cleaned for the other four days of our stay. Business associates recommended nearby Hodel's and Milt's for meals.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Wow! What a wonderful surprise on our road trip beck to Orange County. We were tired and found this hotel at a great value! The rooms are so comfortable and have an extra bed in the sofa. Would highly recommend for people driving through and needing a place to get a good nights sleep!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The one star is because the headboard that was attached to the wall came loose in the middle of the night, inches away from my head. The hotel location and the discount I got through AARP was more than acceptable. The room was also very nice and clean. The trouble started when the room I was given was actually not ready so they gave me another one right away. After I came back to my room early in the morning, about 1:00A.M., I used the coffee maker to make hot water and pulled the plug so I won't accidentally leave it on all night. When I did that I blew the fuse because the light went out and won't come back on. I decided to leave it since I was checking out the next day. At about 2:30A.M. I heard a crash that made me jump out of bed. I thought it was from the room next door. I tried to go back to sleep but i felt there was something wrong so I turned the light on and found the headboard had fallen down! I called the front desk, the night supervisor came over right away and she fixed it so the headboard, which was heavy, would drop to the floor because the bed frame stopped it and it was half on half off. She was very apologetic and helpful. She also fixed the blown fuse in the bathroom. Checking out the next day I mentioned this incident to the day front desk clerk and she kept saying sorry to hear that but I walked away feeling disappointed. My suggestion is for maintenance to attach the headboard to a stud and not the sheet rock. I give 4 stars to the night supervisor who did a terrific job securing the headboard won't fall on my head during the night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Like the others have said, not in the greatest location. The hallways are dim and gloomy. But, once in the room I was entirely satisfied.

Rooms are large and clean. The bathroom is huge, and was clean. Beds were comfy. My only disappointment was that the lamp in the reading nook was broken, and I was too tired to deal with a call for maintenance. Overall the room itself was great.

Breakfast was a typical continental, minus eggs. They did have waffles, some cold cereals, apples, some really ugly looking sausage patties and the ever present sweet rolls and donuts.

Then........when we checked out, my mom asked for her receipt. We have ALWAYS gotten receipts from the hotels we book on hotels.com. We were told they had no way to get us a receipt. They couldn't even tell us what the charges were including taxes. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!!

So we had to leave there not knowing if we were going to be charged correctly or not. I'd give them a zero rating just because of that, but I don't have the heart to, because the motel itself was pretty nice. But the staff were less than accommodating. And they could have cared less that my 86 year old mother was upset. Won't be going back there. EVER. I don't know what their billing system is like, but if every other place we stayed at can get us a receipt, then I suggest they work on figuring out how to get their customers one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Bad for business hotel should just shut down . There breakfast sucked might as well just serve sugar for breakfast.all they had was donuts and cinnamon rolls

• Stayed: June 2012