“Good value hotel”

Sleep Inn And Suites
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We were visiting for the NHRA Calfornia Hot Rod Reunion and this hotel suited our purpose to a tee. Close to the race track..well about as close as you can get approx 15 miles. Had a two queen suite and it was clean and comfortable. Close also to shops and food. Staff could have been a bit more courteous but nothing really to complain about. This is our 2nd stay here and will stay again next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter P

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Very clean, breakfast is great, huge bathrooms and nice rooms, soft beds. Comfortable place.

• Stayed: October 2011
Lori J, Manager at Sleep Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Thank you for your recent visit at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Bakersfield, CA. We appreciate you sharing your comments with us. The hotel management and staff take great pride in the hotel and look forward to serving each of our valued guests.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Traveling with pets we are limited to where we can stay, and this was the highest rated hotel in Bakersfield that would accept our pets so we stayed here.

Easy access from the interstate. Hotel shares it's parking lot area with 4 other hotels. We made our reservation under the government rate, upon check in I noticed it showed the regular rate, the clerk pen and ink changed the paper for me to sign. The next morning the rate was once again higher to the regular rate. The hallway was dark and the carpet was old. The only open entrance/exit was the main lobby. The clerk told me that the side door was locked so we would have to walk our dogs in and out the front lobby. The breakfast area was clean, the coffee was fresh and the waffles were good. The location was not the best. I did not feel safe in the area. I probably won't stay here again if I can find a better option.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Whidbeykat

Thank you for the comments you shared regarding our hotel earlier this year. The management and staff of the hotel want to share with our valued customers that we have recently undergone an extensive renovation and are now one of the newest hotels in the Bakersfield area! We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future and wish you safe travels.

Reviewed September 3, 2010

The area outside the hotel is not very nice but as long as your inside your fine. The staff was friendly, the beds were ok, and the bathroom was HUGE. I've never been in a "budget" hotel with a bathroom that big. It was just what we needed for the one night we stayed. My only complaint was the long black hairs we found in our sheets. I don't have long or black hair and neither does my husband or dog! We were a little grossed out but its just hair right?

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Betsyin85308
Reviewed September 1, 2010

It was 100 degrees in Bakersfield that day, normal for the summer. I checked into the Sleep Inn at about 9:00 PM. I got to the room and there is a wall thermostat with digital temperature readouts that control the in-wall heating and cooling. The air conditioning was off and the room was 94 degrees! I engaged the cooling and the blower came on so I figured the room was going to cool down. I went back down to bring up some more stuff and use the computer in the lobby. As time went on, though, I got the feeling the room was not cooling down: the thermostat still said 94. Then I discovered that the air conditioner was just blowing air, not cooling. I called the front desk and the clerk came up to my home convinced I did not know how to turn on the AC. But she could not get it to run either: the AC was broke. So now it was 10:00 PM and she moved me to another room. That new room was 93 degrees, the AC was off, but we could turn it on and get it to blow cold air. I was tired and wanted to get to sleep so at 11:00 PM I shut the AC off snce I can not sleep with the AC making noise. But the room was 86 degrees and I tossed and turned for 3 hours until I got up at 2:00 AM and turned the AC on for another 90 minutes while I watched TV to get the room temperature down to 70 degrees. Then at 3:30 AM I finally tried going to sleep. I can't believe I paid money for this place! Here's the point: the owners/managers are too cheap to pre-cool the rooms in the hot afternoons of Bakersfield. If the rooms were all pre-cooled down to, say, 75 degrees or so, it would be a short time to get them down to 70 degrees once a guest checked in. But since I checked in late and with the cooling capacity of the AC it takes over 2 hours to get a room cool, the room was too uncomfortable to sleep in. So if you choose to visit this motel, and if you get a room that actually has a working AC, you better account for the 2 - 3 hours it will take to cool your room down to a sleeping temperature.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Road_Rambler59
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Caught in Bakersfield at the beginning of cross country trip due to vehicle break down. Was worried about stopping in the bakersfield area. Stopped to look at this hotel, and were pleasantly surprised. It is stuck in a cul-de-sac with two much older and cheaper motels(which looked gross), but this sleep inn and suites is brand new, looks great inside and out. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was nice- HUGE bathroom was a surprise. Exceeded our expectations.
Good safe clean place for family ..

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank 6naygrl
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Definitely not a ritzy place but it's cheap and clean. The location near CA99 is a plus. The free waffle bar is a nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo