“This one's for Ripley's!”

Best Economy Inn & Suites
Best Economy Inn & Suites
Ranked #48 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I don't think I've ever stayed in a worse place! The smell was of feces and cigarettes and the broken AC had no cover. Roaches and fleas were visible and what I pray are spider bites ran up and down my lower legs after we left.
Gross, gross, gross, Red nail polish (I hope!) stains were all over the furniture and walls and I kept thinking how many stories the holes in the doors and walls could tell!
Just gross.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sjssf

Reviewed March 25, 2013

03/21/13

The Wife and I checked in and went to our room. What a shock. The room smells, the cover was off the AC unit. there was paint peeling off the ceiling, the bathtub did not look like it had been cleaned in a long time. There was only one pillow on the bed and not even a complete set of towels. We did not turn back the covers on the bed. Who knows what we would have found.

We went back to the office and asked for a refund. They willingly gave us a refund, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I would assume this is common.

Cap & Virginia

Room Tip: Look at the room first.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emry L
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed January 2012.

We had driven from Hoover Dam on our way to San Fran and stopped here to overnight. We arrived late at night and it was a 'let's just pull in here, I can't go on any further' type of decision.

Big mistake. We had a room on the ground floor close to the office. It was small with two double beds, a/c, fridge and a small bathroom. We had two towels to share between the 4 of us (okay as we had our kids, not okay if I was travelling with other adults). The airconditioning didn't work very well and only seemed to have one temperature - very hot. I had to sleep with the door partly open with the security latch attached; needless to say I had very little sleep that night. I put the kids in the bed furthest from the door and hubby and I close to the door. We had to listen to screaming, cars revving, doors slamming, children crying and screaming, plus a woman crying all night. It was around 1am that I was at the point where I wanted to pack up my family and leave.

I've never felt more unsafe anywhere than I have here.

We left as early as possible in the morning, probably around 7.30am. We checked out the breakfast when we returned our key and decided bread and coffee wasn't going to cut it. We stopped at a McDonald's on our way out of town.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can afford to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

my experience at this motel was terrible. the office staff was very nice but the room was horrible. the room stunk the bed was very uncomfortable they even had cockroaches running up the walls. and the people in the other rooms were very loud and i felt very unsafe . I do not recommend this motel to anybody. i dont care how cheap they rent for its still to much.

Room Tip: dont rent here ever.......
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank deni c
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We booked this hotel in the last minute as this was the cheapest in Bakersfield. But this turned to be a big mistake.

Pro's
1. Has lots of Parking Space available.
2. Is very cheap amongst nearby hotel.

Con's
1. The hotel rooms are very dirty and not maintained. We had spiders in blanket. Flies abound in the room. We had two rooms and both had the same conditions. The beds are not exactly clean.
2. Hotel Equipment did not work. The exhaust was broken and did not work and nor did multiple plug points. The AC has three settings and makea lot of noise.
3. Dont eat the breakfast. Although they serve only bread (along with butter and jams) and orage juice but you are bound to fall sick. All 5 of us fell sick after having just 1 bread and 1 glass of juice each.

So in case you have no options available then and only then book this hotel else stay away as much as possible.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ranodeep_sinha
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We were passing through Bakersfield and needed a place to stay the night. This was cheap, yes but also nasty! We didn’t really feel safe with all the people hanging around the motel at all hours. There were rooms full of people that obviously doubled as a place for the local workers and their families to live. We wanted to get an early start so left before the sun rose and found a strange man wandering around the car park, we definitely did not feel safe at any stage during our stay here. The only friendly person we came across was a man in the gas station who joked with my partner about coffee. Do not bother staying here! We felt very uncomfortable the whole time. I agree with previous comments about rooms being rented by the hour – there was ‘people’ coming and going at all times!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AShacko
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I guess any single mistake is acceptable, but just too many things wrong with this place. I guess if your standards are low, it would be hard to beat the price and get the same. Here is what went wrong:

- Air conditioning didn't work. With 100+ weather, this is not okay. But that wasn't even the real problem. The real problem was when I mentioned it to the front desk, he tried to turn it around on me! He said, "well, you requested a first floor room. I had a air-conditioned room all picked out for you until you said that." Yeah, right.

- Wireless internet about 1.5 times the speed of dialup. In the year 2010?

- The ad says "Breakfast included" but doesn't mention that they only provide it on request. I think they count on you being in a hurry in the morning and won't ask. That is just not good enough. I was wondering when it would start and finally asked at 7:15. If I didn't ask, they would have just not served it at all.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo