“Convenient and Clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Bakersfield
Houston, Texas
“Convenient and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I travel to Bakersfield for several days each month and this is one of the hotels that I usually use. The TV swivels so that I can watch it in bed or while sitting at the desk and have had no problems with the internet connection. There is a DVD player and I've brought workout disks with me. Unlike most hotel rooms, these rooms are large enough to do most of the routine. There is only soap in the room, but if you need shampoo, toothpaste, even a toothbrush, you just ask at the front desk and they will provide it. The breakfast consists of instant oatmeal packets, fruit like apples and oranges, and cereal bars. Since there's a fullsize fridge in the room, I usually buy yogurt and eggs at the grocery store for breakfast. My only real complaint is that the rooms tend to smell funny. You get used to it after awhile, but when you first walk in, it's really stinky. This has been the case with almost every room I've been in. I don't know if it's because they allow pets in the hotel, but they should probably shampoo the carpets or Febreeze them. The hallways smell just fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that we were able to accommodate your needs. I apologize for the smell in the room. I have already scheduled some time with my Maintenance Engineer to review our current practices and see where we can make improvements. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed for a weekend and my first impression of the look was "wow"! Also, it was accessible and convenient near the freeway. When I left to go home, I accidentally left my purse in our room and the manager kindly fed ex to me, knowing he was so busy. Now, that's what I call "like a family you can trust!". The staff was great and patient with me on the phone- yet very "professional"- cuz I was nervous about my bag, although I had my ID and credit cards not in the bag. This bag was sentimental to me and the manager understood. Great breakfast "on the go" and very clean! I did look at the other Extended Stay on Calif. Avenue but did not appeal to me. Overall, I would return again!!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear your glowing review of our hotel. The staff and I are so happy that we were able to find your purse and send it to you in timely fashion. It is our goal to ensure our guests are satisfied before, during and even after their stay with us.

Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had a choice between this ESA on Chester Lane, and the one on California Street. Just a word to the wise, the Chester Lane property backs up to a railroad yard, and unless you get a room that faces the front of the property, it's very noisy. Additionally, it's close to the freeway, which is convenient for access, but not so great for noise.

Also a word to the wise, you need to ask for shampoo and a hair dryer - which were happily given, but I've actually never stayed in a hotel where these two items weren't provided. It seemed inappropriately stingy.

For the one night that we stayed, the room was fairly comfortable and clean enough, and convenient (walking distance if you're feeling athletic) to some decent restaurants (Coco's and Marie Calendar's).

My biggest issue with the ESA/Chester Lane is that the door to our room had about a 1.5 inch gap at the bottom. My first thought was to wonder how many outside bugs/varmits found their way into this room. But the corker was in the middle of the night during one heck of a windstorm, it was necessary to stumble around at midnight and find things (towels, phone books, baggage, etc.) to shove up against the door to try to block the howling/freezing wind from entering our room.

There are comparably priced properties in Bakersfield, fairly close by, so my advice is to try one of those. We'll certainly look elsewhere next time we're passing through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

On the negative side, the hotel's front entrance boasts a handicap sign. They don't have automatic doors! If you want to avoid the smoking area, use the front entrance only.

On the positive side, the daily continental breakfast consisted of beverages: coffee, hot chocolate, and tea, fruit: apples and oranges, oatmeal packets of many different flavors, plus oatmeal squares of apple cinnamon and maple brown sugar and the occasional mini muffins from Marie Callendar's and Otis Spunkmeyer. The amenities of full sized fridge, dishwasher (housekeeping gives you the soap), microwave, stove top, lots of cupboards, pans, plates, etc. make it a homey experience. It's very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
My room on the top floor overlooked the back parking lot of Barnes & Noble and their dumpster. If you ask for a quiet room and they give you one of these rooms that overlook this eyesore ..... change to a different room! It's NOT quiet!! Besides the trash men who come at 6:30 am to empty it, there are the dumpster divers at all hours of the night making noise!!
Besides this, ESA is one of the better hotels in the area. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If your room overlooks the Barnes & Noble dumpster, ask for a different room. It won't be qu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate the positive comments about how clean and fresh the property was during your visit. Thank you so much for choosing Extended Stay Hotels, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Wilton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There's just nothing like having a refridgerator, stove, microwave, coffeemaker and a good TV when you live on the road. The price was very good and the room was large and comfortable. Great stopover en route to las vegas!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We just received a copy of your review and wanted to thank you for the positive comments about your stay with us. I'm thrilled that you found the well equipped kitchen a benefit while on the road. Again, thank you for the positive review, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Central California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Truly a pleasant surprise. Clean hotel, comfortable room & helpful, friendly staff. Bed was cozy. They don't clean the rooms everyday, which is fine--and they let us get clean towels. Pots, pans, dishes, silverware, stove, full-sized fridge, dishwasher, microwave & coffee-maker all made for a fun stay--

Heard no noise from outside or in the halls. Beds were comfortable. Slept like rocks. Close to the convention center, Amtrak and the water park.

Room Tip: We didn't even ask if there was a pool at the hotel. We had no problem with our room. We just re...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay with us. We're so pleased that you found our amenities a great value to you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Spring Creek, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have stayed here twice and I have to say I am very comfortable here. I really enjoyed the people who cleaned my room and the front desk staff during the week days were very helpful. The rooms are amazingly quiet and comfortable. I brought my pets with me this time and the cleaning staff are very good about working around animals. The only problem I have is that there aren't a whole lot of the tv channels I am used to on the satellite. There is free wifi in all rooms. Thank you Extended Stay Bakersfield for making both of my stays there very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
HotelManagement14, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Bakersfield - Chester Lane. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!
It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels