“Unexpected find”

Maui Pho
Ranked #451 of 849 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Traveling to Las Vegas, put in the GPS a request & this came up. Good food @ fair price. We had the family platter that serves 4-5 people. We did not finish the entire order and we had 6 to feed. Will stop again if we go thru Bakersfield.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

With ‘Maui’ in the name, we had high expectations for the food at Maui Pho to be at least similar to the food at Ono Hawaiian Bar-b-que. Arriving after the lunch crowd had left, the place was still pretty busy; a good sign, I thought. My wife ordered the Mongolian Beef Bowl and I chose the two item combination of sweet ‘n sour pork and broccoli beef which came with fried rice and chow mein. Although very tasty, nothing on the menu even resembled anything from Hawaii. The fried rice and chow mein were cooked and flavored very well. The sweet ‘n sour pork was delicious, although a bit dry. This was fixed by asking for a small side of sauce. The broccoli beef was 80% broccoli and only 20% beef, and that’s being generous. The stems on the broccoli were long enough that I had to ask for a knife in order to have bite-size pieces. My wife’s Mongolian Beef was well spiced and seasoned. Unfortunately, every item we were served was extremely greasy, having been cooked, or should I say drowned, in oil. So much so that within a half an hour of completing our meal, my wife had an upset stomach.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

First of all Maui and Pho do not belong in the same sentence. But we wanted to give it a try. walked in, three tables had customers, waited, waited some more ( five of us), waited some more while the staff walked around us back and forth to the kitchen, telling the three tables that the food would be up soon, what ever that means. We got totally ignored for over 5 minutes. It was like we were invisible. So we left and went to one of Bakersfields other Vietnamese restaurants.
While we were there a guy was wiping glasses at a counter not 5 feet from us, the waiter had to walk around us, if I was in Hawaii I would expect this, not in Bakersfield. why take a chance? Bakersfield has many really good restaurants. Try another one.

4  Thank Harleyca100
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I enjoyed this establishment, and on a cool/cold day the soup hit the spot.I was disappointed that they did not have brown rice prepared, but overall, this was a delicious lunch.

1  Thank bakersfieldmom78
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My hubby and i went last Tuesday and the the puu puu platter was really good... but the chicken katsu needed some work. The black and pepper shrimp was really good.. next i come I will definitely order the black and pepper shrimp. Also the decor was nice!

1  Thank Elizabeth G