“Rooms were fine, but the management was horrible”

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Bakersfield, CA
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed February 27, 2009

At one point during my 2-night stay at this hotel I told a friend that I felt like a high school kid sneaking in and out of my room in the middle of the night. The management was awful and overbearing. I talked to several other people at the hotel, some of whom said they had stayed there several times over the years and they were never going back again either because of the witch who was running the place. First, I stayed in a suite that had a bedroom and then a living room area with a sink and fridge. It was a very nice room and with an almost 2 year old, a great place for him to stay. . . except she had a rule that no food from the breakfast could be taken to the room. So, instead of watching cartoons and letting him run around while I ate breakfast, I had to stay in the dining room and try to keep him from getting into things while I ate. I ate quick I tell ya. He ate quicker. I've stayed in several hotels with my toddler and never once have we been made to eat in the dining room.
I was there to visit family and was chastised for bringing people over that were not checked in and told we couldn't use the pool with them either.
Because I was constantly questioning their rules I expected to be levied a huge fee on the end or something. I felt like I was always being watched and that they expected me to break the rules, whatever they were. I was very uncomfortable and others there expressed the same concern. It was not a relaxing stay and I was barely ever there!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank HYDE688

Reviewed April 26, 2008

Dear management,

My wife and I have stayed at your hotel on a number of ocassions as well as our friends. This is the first time that we have been so insulted that we will never, never, never, again, stay at your establishment and recommend to our friends, families and relatives that they not patronize your hotel.

The first thing which was insulting is that your manager requested a $40 dollar deposit. This is something that reputable hotels do not do.

Upon check-out, my wife was told that she could not receive her deposit until someone checked our room because of the following reasons: people steal things all the time and that they wanted to be sure that this was not the case.

I am sure that all of your guests are not subjected to this type of critical scruiting and offensive accusatory type of behavior...impliying that possibly, that we may fit the profile. This is totally unexceptable. I have stayed at your hotel many times in the past, as well as my wedding guests during December of 2007.

Stating that the person who checked my wife in failed to inform her, is no saving grace. If I had known this, from the onset; I would never have spent the night at your hotel. This is such an egregious afront to anyone to be told that you cannot receive your deposit until they check your room for possible stolen items..ie..pillows etc..is totally unexceptable.

If this is the treatment that you give all your guests, implying as though they may be either migrants and or petty theives, then you are truly in the wrong business.

Thanks for Nothing...We will be contacting the Better Business Bureau to make them aware of this poor and distasteful treatment.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank samnoham
Reviewed September 16, 2007

As a former smoker, I am sensitive to the odor of cigarette smoke. The room I was in was tagged as non-smoking, but obviously it had been smoked in in years past. The smell of stale smoke was pervasive in the entire end of the hall where I was booked. There were also stains on the bathroom counter top, bathtub, and even the toilet seat from cigarettes left burning too long. It was so bad that I checked out after only a few hours. I would only stay here if I couldn't afford anything else.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2007

This place was barely “OK” and that’s about it. Quiet, air-conditioning worked in room and we slept well. It was not clean – floors and bed spread - and the staff was neither friendly nor helpful. The key cards to the rooms – regardless of how many we had made - consistently did not work. The water was undrinkable!
While the price is inexpensive we still would not stay there again. 10 years ago it was great… now it is lacking. The breakfast was good but the place is just falling apart. We did not see any bugs which was good. THERE WAS NO CLOCK IN THE ROOM an odd thing for a hotel. It is nicely located but again not clean. We strongly recommend another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 12, 2007

We were traveling from northern California to Las Vegas for a dance competition & decided to stay here to break up our trip. I used Trip Advisor to find a decent hotel & this one happened to get a good rating. I can't for the life of me figure out why.

First, if you're expecting more than a Motel 6 type quailty, you should look elsewhere. This was the bottom of the line, cheap furnishing, cheap thin gray carpet, uncomfortable beds, peeling wallpaper, thin towels, basic plain Jane motel. Also, the hallways are not air conditioned (at least not during our stay) & they were smoking hot which also lead to a nasty aroma in the halls.

Second, we noticed black mold growing on the ceiling in the bathroom. Ewwww. (I snapped some pictures)

The other dance mom I traveled with killed 3 cockroaches in the bathroom in the morning & there wasn't nearly enough toilet paper to last the 4 of us from 11 PM to 9 AM.

The breakfast was hard boiled eggs in a basket (Nothing keeping them cold) make it yourself waffles, coffee, juice, 2 kinds of cereal, milk, oatmeal apples & unripe oranges.

We paid $95 with tax for this room & for that price, I expected way more than what I got. I can't say it was "dirty" but the mold & bugs made it feel that way. I personally would stay somewhere else & would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Huntington Beach
Reviewed April 8, 2006

This place was more than expected. I got a deal for their suite for the mid $50 rate since it was a slow night. The person at the counter was friendly. The room I was in was on the third floor. The hallways had a scent of smoke, but that's understandable considering there were smoking and nonsmoking on that floor. My suite was great. Had a lot of space for what I paid for. The breakfast was good too. Juices, waffles, and other breakfast items. I'm glad I found this place. I think it's the best place in that part of town. I'm sure to go back when I'm in town.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Prescott AZ
Reviewed October 10, 2005

I will agree with the others that this is a decent facility for the price. BUT, the facility has a LOT of shortcomings and for a bit more money, I think you can find a much quieter and safer hotel.

My two boys (ages 12, 13)and I had planned to stay here for 17 nights while I was in Bakersfield on business. The suite set up sounded appealing, as did the proximity to the movie theatres and the mall.

We arrived late in the evening and there were probably 8-10 young guys gathered in gang-like groups. My older son pleaded "we're not going to stay HERE, are we Mom?" But I had worked a full day AND driven 500 miles and I was exhausted enough to give it a chance. I opened my door and almost stepped on an empty vodka bottle.

But the staff was friendly upon our check in and the lobby looked fairly nice.
The rooms were clean, but definitely dated. Cheap, thin towels completed the picture. All night long we heard rap music from our neighbors. I should have complained to the front desk but I was too tired to think straight and I think a bit intimidated because of the parking lot scenerio.

The breakfast was decent and the boys always like the make your own waffles. But this was NOT a place that I wanted to spend more than one evening. I explained to the staff that I was checking out early, the owner was very gracious and seemed genuinely concerned. I suggested a night security guard might make folks feel more secure.

If you don't mind a budget type hotel and need some space this may be the place for you. I personally would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business