“A meal on a Stone Made dish.”

Los Molcajetes Restaurant & Cantina
Ranked #291 of 849 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I went to see my family last december (2013) and they took me to eat at Los Molcajetes in bakersfield Ca, but the first time the Restaurant was busy with a private party, so we tried a couple days later, and to my surprise, they serve some really nice raw Oysters as an aperitif , but the main attraction are the molcajetes, nothing more than a dip dish carved on a volcanic rock stone with 3 legs. In Mexico the natives use this item to chrush seeds or to make salsa using a mortar. but in this place they use it as a dip dish and it looks really good!! Is like a Flinstons Dinner Set. Any ways , I was having a happy family time and i really enjoy the place, nice service and good vive. Cheers Mates!!

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I was just passing through town on I-5 and found Los Molcajetes by chance and it looked good from the outside so I went in. Wow do I wish we had Mexican restaurants this good back home in the Midwest! It is true, Mex is better out here. The first thing I use to gauge a Mexican place is the guacamole. This guac was just the way it should be, fresh, with just the right amount of chunkiness, and the right proportion of the other ingredients that should simply complement good avocado. I ordered a molcajetes dish and the warning on the menu is true: the heavy iron cauldron comes out with the ingredients bubbling hot and you better wait for it to cool down! It was a fabulous dinner. The seasonings were knowledgeably balanced, the flavors of my shrimp and steak and veggies interesting tasty and authentic. I wish I could go back often and try every other entree.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We first went there when Agustine and Minnie opened this quiet little restaurant, and watched it evolve into a very busy place. The owners are lovely, treating us like long lost family, always asking about my son. the food is is great, and I think that I need a fix today. it's been a long time,,,when I was working we went once a week. I highly recommend the molcajetes bowls...but very hot, needs to cool a bit, before you dive in.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

HI. our group went there yesterday and had to wait about 30 minutes with a lot of mexicans already there so if the locals eat there you know its good. the nacho plate with steak was very good and my fahitas was also great. everyone else said their dinner was also very good. the margarita in the tall glass lasted all dinner. the service was fast and good concidering how busy they were.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I ordered the seafood molcajete, and it surpassed what I expected. It was just spicy enough for me, and when we left my molcajete was still very hot. I love the idea of my food remaining hot throughout my entire meal. It was so good I wanted to go back the nexy day to try a different molcajete, but it was not meant to be. I recommend highly!!!!