“Red Lion Hotel Fine for Overnight Visit”
Review of Hotel Rosedale

Hotel Rosedale
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed May 11, 2006

We recently stayed at The Red Lion Hotel on our way to the west coast from Las Vegas. This was suggested to me when I enquired at Trip Advisor. As we couldn't leave Vegas until the afternoon, we really just needed somewhere to stop on the way.

The room we had was large and very clean and comfortable. We paid $89 for the night but were upgraded which no doubt helped. This included breakfast where we had a freshly cooked omlette. It was not the Ritz but was fine. We didn't eat at the hotel at night, it was pretty basic, but there was a restaurant just up the road to which we walked and had a reasonable meal.

I don't know that I would want to spend more than a night here but it served its purpose. It was close to the freeway so we didn't even get to see the town. We did ask for a quiet room, otherwise you could be counting cars all night!) Next day we drove through to San Luis Obispo on Highway 58 which certainly showed us some of the countryside - agriculture, oil and ground sqiurrels (certainly a change from kangaroos).

6  Thank ALR
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rosedale

Reviewed April 30, 2006

We only stayed one night on our way from Yosemite to Death valley this April. We have mixed feelings on this hotel. Like the previous review we had to carry our cases up the stairs and also hurt ourselves on the chairs! The room was alright and the beds very comfy. The bathroom was good and we had a coffee maker. We used the hot tub and the pool both were fine. I think the worst part of our stay was the breakfast. It was in a large room with no atmosphere and hardly any choice of food and not very well presented. We pricelined this hotel so we got a good price and we would use it again but only through a bid not a direct booking as there are many hotels in Bakersfield to try.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank cliveasmith
Reviewed April 24, 2006

We booked this hotel through Hotwire so we couldn't see the Hotel name prior to booking. As later on we got the message on Red Lion as our booking, we were somehow confident in what we're going to get as we stayed there 10 years ago with no real problems. This time we got the feeling that this is not the same location we stayed in the past. Going through the reviews here I understand that the location was changed. However, this is not the issue. What we faced is a two story hotel with steep stairs while we carried on our heavy laggage to our room - no elevator was around. As we got to the room we faced noisy toilettes which bothered us throughout the night. However, my most terible experience was a hit I got from a chair's leg in the room which was extremely shaped out of the external contour of a normal chair - I carry this pain with me till now for already two weeks. The hotel dining room where we ate breakfast was spartan and dirty. Food was not renewed, so we had to sample cold stuff. Basically, this is not a three star hotel as published by Hotwire. I would grant it two if at all. As for the future, I would recommend to stay out of there.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank Fun-trvl64
Reviewed October 14, 2005

I am an old Red Lion fan and loved staying at their very luxurious properties through out the West Coast. I made a reservation at the "Red Lion" in Bakersfield. Upon arrival, I discovered that the original Red Lion is now a Double Tree, owned and operated by Hilton Hotels, and the new Red Lion was actually an old worn out Ramada Inn, originally built years ago as a Hilton Inn, and now operated as a franchise. My problem was that I was anticipating a 4 star hotel and ended up in a typical one star operation. When making reservations at Red Lion, be careful as many are conversions and operate as franchises.

Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank wooddy
Reviewed December 9, 2004

My family has stayed here at least three times. The rooms were clean & had plenty of good "kid channels" for my kids, ages 2 and 4. The onsite restaurant is a sports bar and is not family friendly; however, nearby (just around the block) is John's Incredible Pizza, which is great for kids -- it's a sort of combination of Soup Plantation and Chuck E. Cheese. The wireless internet service was not accessible from Room 123; however, I was able to access it from the lobby. If you are traveling in summertime, the pool is great for kids. Free newspapers are available in the lobby. The room suffered from an absence of trash cans (just one small one in the bathroom). Also, there didn't seem to be any kind of guidebook (welcome to our hotel, here are our hotel & nearby facilities, this is check out time) or stationery. Costco is nearby so you can fill up on gas if you are road-tripping. All in all, it's not perfect, but we enjoy it; we know this hotel; and we would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2004
2  Thank Artemis19
Reviewed November 27, 2004

In August, 2004 we popped in here on the way from Las Vegas to yosemite. We were impressed by the hotel straightaway. Although another contributor mentions it being dated we couldn't work out whether it was new but in an old style as it was (it is a 30 year old ex-hilton)so well kept. The pool is huge and well appointed. We had rooms overlooking the gardens and pool area. Very good breakfast and Sports bar was nice -allowed kids to use the pool table. One of the best hotels we stayed in. DG

2  Thank davidglover867
Reviewed June 15, 2004

The Red Lion Hotel in Bakersfield was a refreshing change from the usual run-of-the-mill highway-side hotel/motels stringing the I-5 and I-90 in Central California. The first thing that grabbed our attention was the beautiful interior courtyard -- our room opened onto the courtyard, and the pool was wonderfully large and spacious.

The staff were friendly, the continental breakfast was decent, and we had a spacious, clean room. Granted, we had stayed at pretty run-of-the-mill hotels the previous two evenings, so this may have seemed heavenly in comparison, but if we were to ever pass this way again, we would definitely stay here again.

The only real problem was the on-site restaurant really wasn't a family place -- it was a sports-type bar with lots of drinking and trucker types passing in and out -- we ended up eating at a nearby Pizza Hut.

All-in-all, however, a good experience.

3  Thank Benjamin M.