“Excellent Basque Food”

Ranked #511 of 840 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Description: 200 Oak Street, Bakersfield, CA. Phone 661-327-2915
Description: 200 Oak Street, Bakersfield, CA. Phone 661-327-2915
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I were trying to find a restaurant that wasn't packed(recession??) and decided to try this one. What a great choice. I had gone to another Basque restaurant out of habit, and this one is so much cozier and just as good food. Chalet Basque is our choice from now on. I had the halibut which was grilled just right and my husband had the New York Steak. It was cooked perfectly and was very tender. We started with the bread, beans and soup, and followed with salad, pickled tomatoes, french fries and pickled tongue. We were already full, and then the entree came. I took a lot of mine home, as did my husband. A great meal, in a great restaurant. We will never keep going back to the same old choice when this taught us that new can sometimes be just as good, or even better.

1  Thank bakersfieldmom78

Reviewed October 22, 2013

There are other places in town that do a better job and have nicer facilities but if you can't get in those locations then this will do.

1  Thank ArteVandelay
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I like this place for happy hour after work. Good drinks, good people. Old establishment, but it does have charm. Lisa is a very nice owner, makes you feel welcomed. Basque good is always good! ;).

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I went to a banquet here. The last time we ate there was a few years ago, and after eating there again, I can see why. The hostess was frankly kind of a bee when we arrived. Then, once they starting serving, the mediocre food just kept coming. The soup was warm when we got it, but they had ceiling fans on (in the middle of winter), and the soup was cold within minutes and didn't taste good. Then the salad, easily the worst part of the setup. It was oily and bland. The greens were crisp, but the dressing was not good. The tri tip was tough too. The fries, the fries were actually very good.

The banquet room we were in was packed, but when we went out into the actual restaurant, it was empty. If you want good Basque, go to Woolgrowers.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Food was lousy. It is under different management from the original owners. They just don't know how to prepare Basque food.

Been to Chalet Basque? Share your experiences!