“What's with the smell?”

Americas Best Value Inn Bakersfield
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here on for a night and I would have liked to write something nice as the staff was helpful and efficient. We came here because of the indoor pool, but the water looked so weird, there was never anybody in it and my children did not want to go for a swim. The worst bit about this place was a strong strange smell I could not quite identify. The staff told me it was air freshner, but then it hit me, it smelled exactly like the product used for head lice...yuk. I started to develop a skin rash here which lasted for three weeks, the smell came from the carpets and the matras. As a family, I would avoid this place, but for a quick stop it is good value.

Room Tip: Check the room for smell first before you pay for a night here
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sabinOz_11

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here two nights recently on business. I pay my own expenses when I travel, so I'm always looking for a combination of low price with good value. The folks at the front desk couldn't have been nicer. They were quick to check me in and very friendly. But the room I had was in dire need of a thorough cleaning.

I usually run around in my socks when I'm in my room. When I went to bed, I found my socks were nearly black. The room showed real signs of wear. There were unfinished drywall patches in a couple of places. There was a permanent stain in the tub. The water pressure was dismal in the sink due to some low flow head.

If I'm back in Bakersfield on business in the future, I think I may stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Shop prices nearby and look at other reviews.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank aopchuck
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The only reason we went to this place was because of the pool and the hot tub. We were really looking forward to relaxing in the hot tub, but when we got there it was ice cold. There was a sign on the door that they only heated after 6 in the evening. OK, they were aware that we intended to use it, so when we got back from dinner around 6:30, it was still cold. They had just turned the heater on. Obviously it took a couple hours to heat. This apparently is the way they do it everyday. ABSURD!!!! Also they quoted me a price on the phone and when I got there it was significantly more.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Debra M
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We didn't want to spend too much on our one-night visit to Bakersfield, so we decided to stay here after reading Tripadvisor reviews. We were pleased with our choice. It is nothing fancy, but clean, with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Erik-Elsje
Reviewed January 6, 2012

The beds were comfortable and the room was roomy and clean. There was a table and chairs in the room as well. Nothing fancy. Its all we needed for a nights sleep while traveling. Front desk was friendly and helpful. The room had a fridge and a microwave, and a tv, none of which we needed. The indoor pool was warm and a nice soothing treat after a day of driving. The only negative was that the sink was outside the bathroom, so when one of us used the bathroom during the night, it could disturb the other. All in all it was very nice for the price.

Room Tip: All the rooms have indoor access.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Room was cheap, smelled like BO. Front desk was polite. Microwave worked, bed was hard.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed September 7, 2011

If you are looking for a cheap place with nice rooms this place.I have stayed at a different hotel every night for the last 2 weeks and for the price it is excellent.Geoff Bensley Byron Bay Australia

• Stayed: September 2011
abvilasvegas, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

We value all remarks, and appreciate you taking the time to share them with other travelers. We look forward to your return!
Pete