“Bad choice all around” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 61 Hotels in Bakersfield
Media, Pennsylvania
“Bad choice all around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I usually always read reviews before booking, but I must have missed this one. The only good thing I can say about this is that the check-in process went well and the man on duty was very friendly. Other than that, ugh. The room smelled - not sure of what but it was not pleasant. We walked over to the "restaurant" next door and it was dark, very loud, and only 2 patrons at the bar. The owner seemed very pleasant, but not a good place to bring a child for dinner. Location is not great. All the other hotels are about a mile down the road in a much better area.

We found a Comfort Inn & Suites a mile down the road which was wonderful - Everything this place was not - and we stayed there. I didn't complain because it was my own fault for not doing more research. I left my keys by the television and figured that was that.

I got home and looked at my statement and there was an additional $2.00 charge on it. I called to see what I possibly could have been charged for - walking in and out of the door? The very unpleasant person at the front desk said it was because the keys were not returned to the front desk as I had to have known since it would have been explained when I checked in. I said it wasn't and he said I signed something agreeing to it. Well, maybe I did, but to be honest, after driving for 7 hours I don't always read all the fine print on a hotel sign-in sheet. Again, my fault, I guess, but he was extremely obnoxious about it.

So ... if you decide to stay here, make sure you return the keys and take room deodorizer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank needavacationplanned
razorrus, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Our hotel considers your feedback extremely valuable. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. None of our guests should be treated rudely, it is unacceptable, and this matter will certainly be addressed.

We are currently in the midst of a variety of changes to improve our guests' experience on every platform. Your feedback will certainly help us get better and we will. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. If at any point you wish to give us another opportunity to win your business and loyalty, please feel free to email me directly at: ruswalia@qualityinnbakerfield.com. I assure you that your future visit will exceed your expectations.

661-324-5555

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Room was immaculately clean and staff was friendly. Shower had beautiful granite surround. Beds were super comfortable and hotel was quiet at night. Pool was shaped like 3 leaf clover. Pool and hot tub were both clean and warm. I plan on staying here next time I'm in Bakersfield.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was in town visiting family and like other reviews, the standard of cleaning was way below par. I had stains on my sheets and when housekeeping came the 3rd day, I was happy to see the beds were neatly made and looking forward to un-stained, fresh linens. NOT! Housekeeping had removed the sheets, turned them inside out, and placed them back on the bed. I knew this because the stain on the lower right side of the bed was now on the upper right side of the bed and the seem was facing out! Housekeeping also didn't restock the coffee, cream and sugar, or cups. Other noteworthy items: dirty carpet, our keycard didn't work the second night, the tub needs drano, and the suitcase rack is falling out of the wall. I mentioned a couple of these items to the night clerk and didn't even get an apology. The next time I come into town I will pay the extra money and stay elsewhere if it means having a clean room and better housekeeping service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Unfortunately, there were several things that were not only wrong with your room, but really unacceptable. I truly apologize for that and assure you these matters have been addressed and corrected.

We are currently in the midst of a variety of changes to improve our guests' experience on every platform. Your feedback will certainly help us get better and we will. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. If at any point you wish to give us another opportunity to win your business and loyalty, please feel free to email me directly at: ruswalia@qualityinnbakerfield.com. I assure you that a future visit will exceed your expectations.

Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Had a short project in the area, so I looked for an easy freeway access. This place is a dump! If I hadn't arrived at 9 PM I would have cancelled. Dirty carpet, peeling wallpaper and falling plaster.i asked for a non smoking room. I guess that means they remove the ash tray! The bathroom smells like someone just put one out. They advertise free breakfast, looked at the ad again, nope, didn't miss the 'continental' part in the ad. Motel 6 is a better value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

We would like to express that the issues you experienced at our hotel are not only unacceptable, but embarrassing. As a non-smoking hotel, this experience is one we would never want our guests to go through. Please be assured that your feedback has been addressed and we will rectify these problems.

vallejo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Property was run down, room was just basic, carpet was dirty so we wore socks, about 10 cats were in garbage bin outside of our room, pool and hot tub were not usable. Breakfast was a total joke of mystery eggs, cold cereal ,with warm milk. The rest we did not even look at, we got juice and left to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Here is the best tip to get a good room, go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank macdana517
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My neices and I were traveling from Seattle by car to her home in Las Vegas, CA. We were on the second leg of our trip and needed a place to stay overnight. My husband found this place online and booked for us. The price was right and the reviews were okay.

It wasn't too far a drive off the freeway, but after passing a group of hotels near the main street down from freeway, you drive for a while on a dark street in an area of blue-collar businesses, which were closed at night of course, so no foot traffic. The hotel is off the main street behind a restaurant, which is where the hotel's breakfast buffet is located. You aren't allowed to take food to room or out, so you have to eat at the restaurant, which was empty, if you want breakfast. It was and okay breakast: eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, toast, fruit, coffee, etc.

The hotel property looked clean and recently updated. The front parking lot/entrance could have been better lighted. The lobby area is very nice and I could see what looked like a nice pool area across the grassy area.

The room was decorated nicely in updated decor, but upon closer inspection, there weren't enough towels (the night guard later brought us some more), we found marijuana inside the plastic guest cups, the television wasn't working correctly and the heater was hard to figure out.

For the overnight stay, it was okay, because we left before 8am the next morning, but wouldn't recommend this property for a longer stay. The front desk staff, a young lady named Jordan, said that there was mostly construction workers staying there. That didn't make me feel very comfortable as a woman traveling with her nieces.

She was pleasant enought, however, she made a humongous SNAFU, which caused us a great deal of grief!!

I asked her for directions to get to the CA-58, which was the highway we needed to take from Bakersfield to get to Barstow, to continue our trip to Las Vegas. I assumed she would print the directions out for us like the other hotels did on our stay. Instead, she immediately said she could tell us and I asked her had she traveled that route before and she replied "Yes".

So I decided to take her word for it instead of a map printout, since she assured me she was familiar with that route!! We ended up on a single lane winding road in a rocky mountainous canyon area. I tried to find it on the map, but couldn't. After about an hour and a half, we went through a residential area and found a utility repairman who gave us the correct directions.

I finally located the small line on the map that was Hwy 178 or whatever that was and it ran parallel to CA-58, the Highway we needed, THEY NEVER MEET! We would have never arrived at our destination with her directions!! We were an hour an a half out of the way, my niece had an appointment in Las Vegas and had to cancell it. We had to go farther East to Hwy 14, then go South to connect to CA-58, which took us to Barstow and the connection to Hwy 15.

Why someone would intentionally give you the wrong directions is beyond me!! If you ever stop at this hotel, get printed directions, don't listen to Jordan at the front desk!!

The hotel was okay, but the front desk staff info was not helpful and almost ruined our trip!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Win B
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have stayed here twice before when going to the hot rod reunion and never had a big problem other than no amenities unless you book their "efficiency suite". (no microwave, fridge, ironing board, hair dryer). They are always short on towels, probably because on the weekends they have at least 4 tour buses full of foreign tourists booked. And don't even try to get to the complementary breakfast after 7am...nothing left even though they are supposed to serve until 9am.

That being said, this last trip was a nightmare!!! We booked an "efficiency suite" knowing that at least we would have the basics that we usually get at other places. Well, we checked in late on Thursday and didn't notice anything at first while we were bringing our stuff in (it wasn't very bright in the room), As I was unloading some of our stuff on the counter, I saw something crawl across it, then another. I called my boyfriend over when another came out, he said "that looks like a baby cockroach!!!" EWWWW! Then we started to look closer, there were dead bugs on the carpet and windowsills!!! It looked like they had fumigated and not cleaned up afterward! Since it was after midnight, we took all of our stuff back out to the truck and pretty much slept in our clothes sitting up on the bed. At least the bed checked out and the bathroom was clean, no dirt or bugs.

The next morning I complained to the management. They went in and cleaned up real good and did comp us the one night. I tried to find another place to stay, but everything was booked. We kept pretty much everything in the truck for the weekend just in case, and just brought stuff in when we needed it.

When I mentioned the problem to the management on the way out, all they said was "I am so sorry about that". Needless to say as the title of my review says I will NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: If you do stay here, get a "suite" and make sure it's not on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple