“Adequate, but.....”

Ranked #38 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
Vancouver, Washington, United States
“Adequate, but.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Traveling with 3 adults, 3 children and a dog. We were given 2 rooms, right next to each other. We were immediately greeted by housekeeping and maintenance came into the room to make sure the doors between our rooms opened. The front desk staff was friendly. When I first walked Into the room, the air was a bit musty, but after running the air conditioner, it cleared right up. The beds were adequately comfortable and I slept well. There wasn't a huge selection to choose from for the continental breakfast, but enough to get us on the road. The shower was nice and hot, despite the length.

The nice thing about this hotel is it is right off the freeway and there were several places to eat and fuel our vehicle.

Now.... For the sort of bad.... I was a little concerned with the isolated feel of our room. It was far back from the main office. When we got there, our kids immediately wanted in the pool. After 5 minutes of playing, I ushered them back to our room, because I noticed an undercover cop pulling his gun and holding it on a man right behind where my kids were playing and another cop car speeding up. My kids were a little unsettled and asked that we please do to return there on the trip home.

(After this happened, the front desk did call to make sure we were okay. They were very friendly. I do not have any customer service complaints)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Amy D
hojobakersfield, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Bakersfield, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to accommodate you, your three children, AND a dog. There was an incident concerning another guest that afternoon. But, rest assured that the problem was quickly resolved. Thank you for mentioning that our front desk office called to make sure that everything was OK. Our staff really do care about making our guest’s stay as comfortable as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
LAKEWOOD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've stayed at Howard Johnson twice...my experience was great and Teresa was fantastic!!! All of the staff was friendly, accommodating, etc...The rooms were clean, comfortable and it's a great location. My only tiny complaint is, that my room key malfunctioned everytime that I left the room...so I had to make numerous trips to the front desk to have my key reprogrammed...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

2 Thank KAREN B
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to learn that Teresa was part of your positive experience during your stay here. We continually strive to deliver excellent customer service. We do regret, however, your repeated trip to the front office due to your key card. We will look into that
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We checked in around 11:30pm and immediately went to bed. Around 2:00AM, the front desk called our room! They woke us up and got our two year old riled up thinking it was time to get up.

They called because the credit card I gave them when we checked in wasn't the same as the one I had used when I booked the room online. Apparently, the charge that went through during check-in wasn't sufficient for them to wait until morning to straighten things out.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We appreciate your business and your general positive ratings, with the exception in the category of Service. If you made payments directly to us at the hotel, then we should have collected the full amount at check in. If you made payments through a third party online website, then we will need to visit our payment policies with them. Either way, we regret disturbing your rest. We hope you will book with us again so that we can show you that we do take care of our guests.
Mansfield, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Room was clean and ample parking but the motel is depressing looking. Needs an update badly. Bed was poor quality and linens were cheap. Passed on the carb breakfast. Door to room was loose fitting and allowed light in.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are continually in the process of upgrading beds and linens. So far, the upgrades have been very positive from other guest experiences. If you would give us another opportunity by contacting me directly, I will make sure that your room has the upgraded bedding.
Kapolei
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I will admit, I was worried that I made a mistake when I made my reservations for this stay, based on recent reviews, but the front desk staff were very nice, the room was clean, and the location was perfect for my stay. Thank you so much for making my stay a positive one!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

1 Thank roadtripstay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I came to this location not knowing what to expect..and my oh my was this a good friendly enviroment..was well greeted by front desk employee.answered all my questions called. My room to check. On us as well..most diff we will be back..thanks claudia for making this one a good stay

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon.