“My Stay”

Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
LAKEWOOD
“My Stay”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've stayed at Howard Johnson twice...my experience was great and Teresa was fantastic!!! All of the staff was friendly, accommodating, etc...The rooms were clean, comfortable and it's a great location. My only tiny complaint is, that my room key malfunctioned everytime that I left the room...so I had to make numerous trips to the front desk to have my key reprogrammed...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

2 Thank KAREN B
hojobakersfield, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Bakersfield, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to learn that Teresa was part of your positive experience during your stay here. We continually strive to deliver excellent customer service. We do regret, however, your repeated trip to the front office due to your key card. We will look into that

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We checked in around 11:30pm and immediately went to bed. Around 2:00AM, the front desk called our room! They woke us up and got our two year old riled up thinking it was time to get up.

They called because the credit card I gave them when we checked in wasn't the same as the one I had used when I booked the room online. Apparently, the charge that went through during check-in wasn't sufficient for them to wait until morning to straighten things out.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We appreciate your business and your general positive ratings, with the exception in the category of Service. If you made payments directly to us at the hotel, then we should have collected the full amount at check in. If you made payments through a third party online website, then we will need to visit our payment policies with them. Either way, we regret disturbing your rest. We hope you will book with us again so that we can show you that we do take care of our guests.
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Room was clean and ample parking but the motel is depressing looking. Needs an update badly. Bed was poor quality and linens were cheap. Passed on the carb breakfast. Door to room was loose fitting and allowed light in.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are continually in the process of upgrading beds and linens. So far, the upgrades have been very positive from other guest experiences. If you would give us another opportunity by contacting me directly, I will make sure that your room has the upgraded bedding.
Kapolei
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I will admit, I was worried that I made a mistake when I made my reservations for this stay, based on recent reviews, but the front desk staff were very nice, the room was clean, and the location was perfect for my stay. Thank you so much for making my stay a positive one!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

1 Thank roadtripstay
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I came to this location not knowing what to expect..and my oh my was this a good friendly enviroment..was well greeted by front desk employee.answered all my questions called. My room to check. On us as well..most diff we will be back..thanks claudia for making this one a good stay

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon.
Oakland, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've stayed at this Hojo two times now. The first time was a random choice thanks to TripAdvisor. The ratings and review seemed to be okay so I booked. The second time I booked a room at this Hojo was a mistake. I forgot that we'd stayed there before and rebooked again because of the price. You can't really beat the price but you definitely get what you pay for.

Both times I've stayed here I've specifically requested a Non Smoking Room. There rooms are definitely "designated" as smoking or non smoking but I don't think the maids or front desk actually enforce their policy. Both times that I've stayed here the rooms had the "non-smoking" signs on the front door, and both times the room has literally REAKED of cigarettes to the point where I was gagging. The first time I requested a room change and the front desk person was rude and kept repeating that the room was "non-smoking." I kept telling the front desk person that it reaked of cigarette smoke and if they would just go to the room they could smell it themselves. After having to argue for 10 minutes I was finally given a different room. The second time I stayed there was this last week. AGAIN the room had the "non-smoking" sign and AGAIN the room reaked of cigarettes. I had a late check-in as I was driving 300 miles that day. Instead of asking for a room change I just passed out. I wish I hadn't. I drove straight to my families house after staying there and had to wash all of my clothes because they smelled like cigarettes. AND this time the comforter even had cigarette burn holes in it! COME ON!

The room was dirty and worn down. The hotel has obviously been remodeled and if you stay in the "newer" portion its not as run down but most of the hotel is just plain dirty. You really really don't want to stay here. I think if I paid $5 more I could have not ended up with an ash tray wardrobe and slept on a decent mattress.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a newer room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hojobakersfield, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Bakersfield, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
We regret your past experiences with us. We are just as frustrated with guests smoking in a non-smoking room as you are. We do put in extra effort to remove lingering smell from cigarettes, but sometimes the smell hangs around a little longer than expected. Also, our housekeeping department will release these rooms back into inventory after checking them, but some noses are a bit less sensitive than others. We understand that you were tired from your long drive, but we would have appreciated the opportunity to make your stay here enjoyable by making accommodations for you in another room. We would like to retain you as our guest. If you would contact me directly with your next booking, I will take extra precaution to make sure your room is smoke free.
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

i absolutely love this howard Johson, I come here almost every otter week whenever I come intoo town now,i awake bright and early just to be the first.to visit the breakfast area by 6:50 I have already had my morning coffee & Waffles & the night lady is pleesure to talk to in the mornings, the lobby always smells so fresh and so very CLEAN, I wish they could make my house smell like that, but at last tis is a hotel, it's friendly staff & quit rooms and beds that would put a marshmeallow to shame are just a small part of the reason, as to why I can'T wait to stay there Again

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Sanduepolck
hojobakersfield, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Bakersfield, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind words, your review lets us know that we picked the best quality Simmons mattresses for our guest. We will continue to do everything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Please have us in mind next time you're in town.