“Still Great Basque Food in a Unique Setting”
Review of Noriega's

Noriega's
Ranked #29 of 846 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We make it a point to eat at Noriega's whenever we're anywhere in the vicinity of Bakersfield. The food continues to be amazing and reasonably priced. Noriega's is a wonderful bit of Basque tradition in the San Joaquin Valley.

2  Thank Waldorf2012

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The last of the family style Basque dinner establishments. One never knows who their dinnermates will be as it depends on how many is in each party. The puzzle of family style eating is a wonderment in this eatery. Basque soup, pickled tongue, salad, cottage cheese, beans, bread, blue cheese and way too much more to mention. There are two meat entrees every night along with French fries and dessert. Reservations are highly recommended.

1  Thank michanne8
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I should start by mentioning that I've eaten at Gracie's with my family since I was a little kid. It holds a special place in my heart for that reason.

They serve dinner once per night, at seven. I'd highly recommend making a reservation.

The family that own's the restaurant will greet you in the bar before dinner. They are simply some of the loveliest people I've ever encountered. Order a picon punch and sit back and wait for dinner to be served. The restaurant attracts quite a few regulars, who are always great conversation.

Once everything is ready they'll call you into the dining area. They seat family style, everyone together at one (sometimes two or three) tables. This makes for a great family environment, and for making new friends if you're in a small group.

The table is already set with the appetizers. Bleu cheese, bread, salsa, beans, soup, potato salad, big bottles of house wine, and the best part, the pickled tongue. Do yourself a service and try everything. don't be shy about asking neighbors to pass things you can't reach, it's all part of the experience.

Next they staff brings out the main course. The ox tail soup is otherworldly. I also always enjoy the lamb, beef stew, and french fries. Ice cream for dessert.

Dinner is $20 per head for dinner, all inclusive. They take all major credit cards just remember to tip at the table or make it clear how much you want to tip before they run your card.

It's really worth coming up the 99 into Bakersfield just for this restaurant. I cannot overstate how great it is.

6  Thank John A
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I've eaten in most Basque places in Bakersfield. For me, this place is last in food (first is Benji's), and second in fun (first is Wool Growers).

We had a really enjoyable night but the food was very school dinners. Most of the food was barely hot and it showed that it was prepared for a 'sitting'. I want my food hot and fresh, this was not. That said, it does offer very good value for money. The lack of choice may be an issue for some as each day the entree is fixed so check ahead that you want what is on offer.

Would I go back, yes with lots of friends - for 2 to 4 people absolutely not. Even then, with a large group Wool Growers would probably be my first choice and for a small group I would go to Benji's.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

They have specific times for meals, ie 7 for dinner and while you can come later, they are not a walk in, order off the menu. It is family style and you get what they are serving that day, which is always good. You meet interesting people because you sit at long tables and are only one chair from the next party. If you like privacy during dinner, this is not the place. Located by the Noriega Hotel (or maybe bottom of it) where the real Basque sheepherders used to stay during their week off. Unlike our other Basque restaurants, Noriega's offers breakfast. Family friendly. Neighborhood is iffy on occasion.