“Didn't meet the hype......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Village Grill
Ranked #83 of 816 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Caliente, CA
“Didn't meet the hype......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a place to have breakfast. She told me that she had read that Village Grill was picked as one of the best breakfast's in Bakersfield so we decided to try it. Nice place but our breakfast wasn't up to the hype. My wife ordered blueberry pancakes with eggs. When her breakfast arrived the eggs were like water (runny) and the pancakes were burned black on one side. How does someone burn pancakes (and then serve them). When we pointed this out to the waitress she said that the cook had told her they were burned but they served them anyway. Not classy. The eggs were redone and they were returned "edible". The pancakes weren't finished. My breakfast was good. The staff was nice, the place was clean. Not sure if we'll return.

• Visited September 2013

Bakersfield
“Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our party of fourteen visited The Village Grill on Father's Day. The food was good, the atmosphere is very attractive, and the service was excellent. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, and offered to provide separate checks. The only negative was a very limited bar selection. We will definitely return to The Village Grill often.

• Visited June 2013
Wofford Heights, California, United States
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went for a Sunday drive through Glennville to Bakersfield and decided to stop for lunch at the Village Grill. There were busy, but we took a table on the patio. Perfect weather for eating outside and the landscaping on the patio is wonderful. The menu has so many choices it makes it hard to decide. We has burgers which are big and juicy. Homemade fries are excellent and the staff was very friendly and they keep your drink full . I like the atmosphere and the food.
I would recommend to a friend. AC

• Visited April 2013
Bakersfield, California, United States
“Good food and lots of choices.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Village Grill has a great menu with lots of good food. The location is very convenient for anybody working downtown. They also serve a little dessert at the end of your meal. The peach cobbler is awesome.

Visited July 2012
Bakersfield, California
“Hidden local gem downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have eaten here several times. It is so well hidden, I didn't discover it until 4 years after I lived here. I live less than a mile from it. They are open very early, and close around 2pm. Excellent decor. Food has always been great. Great presentation, and large portions. If you go for omelets for two with coffee, and tip, expect to pay around $25.00. About same cost for lunch. They have a attractive well shaded area to eat outside. Smoking is allowed out there. Service is inconsistent. Otherwise, a great place for great food. I consider it a little over priced. :-)

• Visited January 2012