All reviewsboutique hotelhead honchorooftop barbelvedere restaurantvalet servicefox theaterdowntown bakersfieldcool hotelcorner roomroom serviceroad tripnight's sleepbrimstonefarmaciamaverickwinkshaunted
Reviewed February 3, 2011

This place is a solid 10. Great property, great staff, great food. Love the design, the 40's elegance that is contemporary with a farm twist, and has fun doing it all. It's worth a stay to see the ceiling in the Farmacy Cafe, and look closely at the hallway wallpaper. The gray curtain also hold a secret. This is a must!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I can't say enough amazing things about this entire establishment! The front desk staff was knowledgable, profressional, and friendly. They were very accomodating to my every need, and genuinely seemed to love their jobs. Warm smiles and well-wishes really speak volumes in my book.

The rest of The Padre has so much to offer. First, we had cocktails and played pool in "Brimstone," the casual bar. Then, had reservations in "The Belvedere Room" for the most delicious dinner we have ever had in Bakersfield. Their new menu is phenomenal (try the stuffed quail and build-your-own steak!) After dinner, we retreated to a spacious, modern, and oh-so-comfortable room with a bed that felt like a dream to sleep in. I was in awe of the sleek and sexy decor. We didn't want this mini vacation to end! I would highly recommend The Padre for patrons with high standards and a taste for style and class.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Stopped at the Padre Hotel after a day trip to LA from Sacramento. What a treat for two weary travelers.

I have to admit, I was a little disoriented after driving all day and then pulling up to the hotel, which was quite the hot spot in an otherwise sleepy downtown Bakersfield, and finding such a 'hip' and stylish hotel. My partner had stayed here before and had told me all about it. It sounded great and i was glad to be able to see for myself. I thought sure this was a Kimpton Hotel property because it was very similar to that hotel brand which I have enjoyed in the past. (It is not, but the building has a rather interesting history/evolution.)

In brief, a young and energetic, but professional welcome from the valet and front desk staff. Room service was prompt and food really good/reasonable (almost missed it though as their cut off was 10 pm on a Saturday night). The room felt luxurious and very comfortable; it is a pretty new property, opening up I believe in late 2009. Soft (maybe a bit too soft ) bed with high quality linens, towels and amenities. Room was very quiet, even though the downstairs was really busy.

If you find yourself in the Central Valley, find an excuse to stay in Bakersfield at this surprisingly fun, quite reasonably priced and very comfortable property.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

Normally, when I go to Bakersfield, I stay at a hotel near Costco. My only purpose of being in Bakersfield is a stop for the night between San Jose and Las Vegas.

Anyway, when I heard about this place, I had to check it out. Besides, I can still find the Costco to get gas in the morning.

It's beautiful. I don't feel like I'm in Bakersfield. The bed was comfy. The Forty Winks room lived up to its promise. Alright, I'm not crazy about the bathroom design, with the clear wall. It's fine if you are by yourself, BUT, but, do I really need to see my husband's shadow (even with the curtain closed) on the toilet and likewise, my posterior while I'm attending to my biological needs?

About the other item- I had to call housekeeping to provide soap, a washcloth. etc. They more or less, stocked the room for one person. Not a big deal, and they did provide nice shampoos and toiletries.

Dinner seemed pricey at the the Belevedere for what we wanted, so we opted for another restaurant across town and got a nice Happy Hour deal. We came back later and had drinks at Brimstone, which was also somewhat pricey. I would have like to try the Fire bar on the second floor, but it was closed for a private party that night. The Farmacy cafe in the morning serves a good breakfast, so we chose that amongst the dining options on the following day.

Anyway, I'll come back. Bakersfield spent redevelopment money to get this place up and running, so I want to see it still in operation on my next trip. Fun place.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I never expected to find a place like the Padre Hotel in Bakersfield. I will stay here again for sure! When we checked in the place was a ghost town, however, when we returned in the evening it was obvious that the Padre is the place to go in Bakersfield. It was standing room only with long lines just to get in. We had a great time with friends until 2 AM. The following morning, we were the only people in the restaurant eating breakfast and the food was awesome.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple