“Nice place- I'll go again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
Santa Clara, CA USA
“Nice place- I'll go again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

Normally, when I go to Bakersfield, I stay at a hotel near Costco. My only purpose of being in Bakersfield is a stop for the night between San Jose and Las Vegas.

Anyway, when I heard about this place, I had to check it out. Besides, I can still find the Costco to get gas in the morning.

It's beautiful. I don't feel like I'm in Bakersfield. The bed was comfy. The Forty Winks room lived up to its promise. Alright, I'm not crazy about the bathroom design, with the clear wall. It's fine if you are by yourself, BUT, but, do I really need to see my husband's shadow (even with the curtain closed) on the toilet and likewise, my posterior while I'm attending to my biological needs?

About the other item- I had to call housekeeping to provide soap, a washcloth. etc. They more or less, stocked the room for one person. Not a big deal, and they did provide nice shampoos and toiletries.

Dinner seemed pricey at the the Belevedere for what we wanted, so we opted for another restaurant across town and got a nice Happy Hour deal. We came back later and had drinks at Brimstone, which was also somewhat pricey. I would have like to try the Fire bar on the second floor, but it was closed for a private party that night. The Farmacy cafe in the morning serves a good breakfast, so we chose that amongst the dining options on the following day.

Anyway, I'll come back. Bakersfield spent redevelopment money to get this place up and running, so I want to see it still in operation on my next trip. Fun place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

I never expected to find a place like the Padre Hotel in Bakersfield. I will stay here again for sure! When we checked in the place was a ghost town, however, when we returned in the evening it was obvious that the Padre is the place to go in Bakersfield. It was standing room only with long lines just to get in. We had a great time with friends until 2 AM. The following morning, we were the only people in the restaurant eating breakfast and the food was awesome.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GreatTraveltime
O.C. California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

I go to Bakersfield on business from time to time and usually stay in the normal chain hotels. I tried the Padre after reading the reviews on TA. I was extremely pleased as soon as I walked in the door. I arrived around Midnight during the middle of the week and yet there was a valet standing on the curb waiting for me! Walked into the lobby (marble floors), and the bar was still half full and lively. There was nobody at the front desk and without someone standing there it is not very obvious that this is the check-in area. I did not have a reservation and yet I was able to secure a room for 2 nights at $99 / night. Check-in was quick and easy and when you get off the elevator to your room my first impression was the funky wallpaper in the hallways (artsy oil derricks). I entered my room and WOW this was a cool space! It reminded me of a W hotel decor. All the interior was very modern with great colors. The bed was extremely comfortable, in fact it was better than any chain Dream Bed, Heavenly Bed, etc. that I have ever slept on .
As far as amenities for the hotel.
Restaurants
Belvedere / Did not eat here but looked like a very cool dining place. High ceilings with marble columns,and modern decor.
Farmacy / Had breakfast here, it is more of a cafe style place to grab something quick. Only problem was it was NOT quick. They had plenty of people but it was not very efficiently organized. There were 3 people in line in front of me and it took more than 10 minutes for me to place an order. It looks like a Starbucks and maybe that is where I struggled with expectations that you should be able to order a coffee quicker than that.

Prospect / Lounge - Nightclub type place that is only opened on the weekends. I wish it was open during the week because it looked like a cool place to have a martini with friends.

Brimstone / Bar - Lot's of wood, overstuffed chairs, a very nice billiards table, and big windows that creates a great ambiance. This is a high quality bar for any hotel.

Prairie Fire / Outdoor Bar - It was raining when I was there so next time I am looking forward to hanging out on their 2nd floor outdoor rooftop style bar. It has couches, tables, and chairs to hang out in the sun and sip cocktails. It seems to have a laid back vibe to it.

SUMMARY
Pros= Very well decorated and super comfortable bed, the high end place to be in Bakersfield
Cons= Slow service at Farmacy and the Valet parking was at times understaffed and slow. They could use a inside waiting area for your car instead of standing at the entrance.
This will be my first choice to stay when I am in Bakersfield. This hotel has quite a history to it, it is described in their in-room service book and it is recommended reading.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank captyoung
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

We stopped along 99 and checked out the Marriott Courtyard - room rates were $99 for the night. I had looked online and saw that the Padre Hotel had comparable rates and so suggested to my husband, we spend our night at the Padre rather than a typical run of the mill hotel along 99. Wow, were we blown away, not only did we get the AAA rate, which was less, they upgraded our room! We arrived dirty and tired on a motorcycle and were greeted warmly by the friendly staff. This is the coolest, hippest place I have been to in a long time, it's right out of LA, New York, or Chicago - and smack in the middle of Bakersfield. The finishes, flooring, bathroom tile, draperies, beds, furnishings were top notch, the entry is fabulous. The rooftop bar with fireplace was very cool. Could not believe it wasn't sold out - this hotel should have all the business travelers staying here! We ate dinner in the bar and were not disappointed. In the am we had room service deliver breakfast and carafe of coffee (the charge total was less than I usually pay for coffee alone). We will be back. We might even come to Bakersfield, just to stay at the Padre - the Thanksgiving Menu looked wonderful!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

If you have to go to Bakersfield, stay at this hotel, no question. I am a pretty well-seasoned traveler who has enjoyed very nice hotels, and I was not disappointed one bit by the Padre. In fact, I was blown away that something like this could be in Bakersfield.

I love design, and the entire hotel, from the bathroom tile to the lobby staircase, was some of the coolest decorating I've seen. Mix of modern & trendy with "antique," I suppose.

The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept on. Some sort of memory foam mattress with a thin featherbed on top and I actually enjoyed sleeping in (which is rare for me).

Service was very polite; one thing I'll say is that the reception/"concierge" staff weren't very knowledgeable about things to do in the area. There are really only a FEW things to do in the area, so I would have liked to have gotten those ideas from them; luckily there was a local, informative couple behind us in line at the desk. Basically it was shopping & movie at some main outdoor shopping center, which it seemed the staff should know about. Maybe you can check online before you go.

There's a bar there that seems like the "place to go" in town at night, so if you're up for something like that, it's right at hand.

And the price was fantastic!

Anyway, I truly, truly have to say this is one of the coolest hotels I've ever stayed in. If you're at all in the area and in need of a hotel, do stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

We arrived filthy and exhausted from exploring desert, and were met by about fifty people wanting to take our bags and car. It came as a bit of shock! The room was stunning (the large shower with a window view was particlularly appreciated) and the service excellent.

We ate at a great tapas restaurant round the corner, and had a very good breakfast in the hotel the next day. I'm still amazed at how little we paid for such a high-quality hotel.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Auburn, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

As others have pointed out, if you have to be in Bakersfield, this is the place to stay. This place could be put anywhere in a metropolitan area(SF,NYC, LA) and do just fine. Cool and hip decor and with several nice places to hang out - the Fire & Ice outdoor lounge, the dance club, the "older" crowd lounge. Good basic breakfasts. Did not have any service issues although I could see where having room on the 2 floor or overlooking the outdoor lounge could be a problem if you are not out there enjoying it. Stayed on the 3rd floor (314) and heard nothing. Comfortable bed, large bathroom, fun crowd. Will do again...

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family