“Wedding Charmer!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Bakersfield
Nipomo, California
“Wedding Charmer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went there for a Bakersfield wedding, had no idea what to expect. When I lived in Bakersfield (fifteen years ago) this wasn't a popular area, but I wanted the hotel room to be in the same location as the wedding and the wedding party insisted the hotel was fabulous. They were right! The room was huge, we needed a cot and they were super quick in the delivery/set up of the cot. The room was very clean, and comfortable, the beds were comfortable. The service was stupendous! Valet service is only $10.00 per day if you stay at the hotel, inexpensive and well worth it because it's difficult finding parking surrounding the building. You can charge the valet to the room. We stayed two nights - the first night we had dinner in the Belvadere, and second night at the wedding. The breakfast after the second night was at the Farmacy. The Belvadere steak was delish! The Farmacy had a couch / coffee table set up we sat at for breakfast, and ordered a light breakfast before heading out. We didn't come across any ghosts (I insisted we not hear ghost stories until we got home so we (husband and I along with two young boys) weren't spooked!) Overall, a wonderful stay! One last note: the wedding location was also fabulous, on the second floor balcony. Check into this venue if you're planning your wedding!

Room Tip: Oops, I rated 'swimming pool' and it won't let me remove it... there is no swimming pool...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for joining the Padre family, we look forward to seeing you soon!
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Apparently this older building was a derelict for several years before the city and a private hotelier worked out a plan to rehabilitate it in 2009. The results justify the effort; in terms of comfort, convenience, and downtown location this place is unbeatable. The entire staff seems to be genuinely concerned for the welfare of visitors. I'll post elsewhere about the hotel's excellent Belvedere restaurant, but it's consistent with the overall attention to detail. The thick old walls ensured us of a quiet Saturday night's sleep despite a "bachelorette's party" in the next room. The only negative was the "honor bar" stuffed with items like an $80 bottle of whiskey; the refrigerator was so full of expensive beverages we had to move several out (very carefully) to put our water bottles in to chill. But that was a small matter.

Room Tip: Not about rooms, but the $10 a night valet parking service stores your vehicle at a city lot across...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ronks
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Padre is a wonderful rebirth of an amazing historic gem here in Bakersfield. Thank you!
Nipomo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was in San Francisco about a month ago having dinner with friends who travel a lot. We were talking about favorite hotels around the world. One said mine is in Bakersfield, The Padre. We laughed. I had never even been to Bakersfield but it just doesn't have the same ring as Paris or NYC. So a few days later I get a call to come to Bakersfield and I said yes and I want to stay at the Padre.

I LOVED it. Funky, cool, comfortable and elegant. I had a spa tub with the water spout in the ceiling, large glass shower, gorgeous bathroom. The bed was heaven. The room is so chic, with four sets of windows, a comfortable sectional couch, and a gray enamel desk. Every single staff member I encountered was so, so friendly and not a forced friendly. Real. Yuri at the front desk was a doll. Great location and amazing price.

Who ever said they want to go back to Bakersfield? Me, me, me!!

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor, quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelerCharlotte
Welcome to the Padre family, thank you so much for staying with us!
Joshua Tree, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had heard great things about this hotel from many artist friends who stayed here while exhibiting at Metro Galleries in downtown Bakersfield. Still, I was unprepared for the quirky elegance of the place. And oh, those beds! My husband said it was like sleeping on a layer of shaving cream - absolutely delicious! Unfortunately, it was just an overnight trip for us and we didn't have a chance to sample the bar or restaurant, but will definitely try them out next time. It's true that the downstairs bar and club are hopping on weekends, but after inserting our "don't leave home without them" earplugs, we had a good nights' sleep. Only one tiny criticism: the windows don't open. It might have been nice to have fresh air instead of relying on the air conditioner all night .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JTArtCarAngel
Metro Galleries is one of our wonderful neighbors, thank you and hope to see you again soon!
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've stayed in Bakersfield many times and have stayed with all the major hotel chains: Hilton, Marriott and Starwood. I only stayed at the Padre because others in my party had reservations here. Boy was I shocked! This is a very hip hotel in downtown that had a great lobby bar, somewhat part of the local scene as I gathered, and really cool rooms. I felt like I was in LA or New York. All for less than $100!! Can't wait to revisit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Yes, the best in Bakersfield! Hope to see you again soon.
Modesto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Padre Hotel in Bakersfield has lovely rooms with a very gracious staff and easily found location from Highway 99. The beds are bliss and the downstairs restaurant is very popular with discerning locals. It is an oasis.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rubytim
Our staff is #1 here in Bakersfield. Thank you and hope to see you again soon.
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I can't say enough good things about about the Padre. It was reasonably priced, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Despite the fact that the bar and club on the ground floor was really loud on a Friday and Saturday night --- the rooms were so sound proofed I didn't hear a thing. The rooms were really clean and very pretty. And the bison burger I had downstairs was fantastic. Every person at the hotel was really friendly and helpful. Any time I have any reason to be in Bakersfield I am not staying anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
We hope to see you again soon, thank you so much for staying at Padre!