“Fantastic Hotel and Restaurant, but watch out for Friday and Saturday nights!”
Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
California
“Fantastic Hotel and Restaurant, but watch out for Friday and Saturday nights!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at The Padre on a Friday night. It was my husband's birthday, so we splurged a little for the room and also made reservations at the Belvedere Restaurant on the first floor. We arrived at 3:30pm and was told our room was not ready, to come back in 30 minutes. We left and came back at 4:30pm. We valet-parked the car and carried in our luggage. Unfortunately our room was still not ready, so we had a drink at the bar because it was happy hour. We had 6pm dinner reservations, but knew we had some time. Finally, our room was ready at 5:15pm. We had reserved one of the nice corner rooms, and it was lovely. We had a great dinner that night, but went to bed early as we had a long drive the following day. As soon as we layed our heads on our pillows, we started hearing the music. It went until 1:30am! There is a nightclub across the street and they must have been having a great time because the band or DJ never stopped for more than a few minutes at a time! I would not recommend OUR room on a Friday or Saturday night, but during the week it would probably be wonderful. Or, if you like to party, go for it! Just thought I'd write a warning, because we had not read this anywhere else.

Room Tip: Beware on Friday or Saturday nights - it's noisy! Ask for a room away from the nightclub.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BackRoadsCalifornia
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your visit, we hope to see you again soon!
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

So pleased they actually read their reviews. Got makeup mirrors in the bathrooms ladies. Resteraunt excellent, again. Bar awesome, again. ROOM super comfy. Staff WONDERFUL and so pleasant all around from valet to doormen to room service to security. Loved it again.

• Stayed March 2013
Every review is important to us, and thank you for staying with us!
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had to stay at a local spot for our 10 year wedding anniversary, when my husband suggested the Padre I was a little unsure, but in the end we had a great time. Initially we were staying in the head honcho suite, I believe that was the name. When we got there our room was not ready so they compensated us w/ some cocktails....after a half our we approached the front desk about our room and when it still wasn't ready, we told them it was our anniversary and they upgraded us to a larger suite (the farmers daughter). The patio was great food was awesome and we were treated very well, thanks to Marcos at the front desk, we enjoyed our anniversary.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicole549
Thank you for spending your special day with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Southrn California
Reviewed March 8, 2013

In Bakersfield on business, our clients books us into The Padre Hotel. Since we usually stay at business-class chains, my curiosity sent me straight to Tripadvisor, where I was pleasantly surprised to see the Padre rated #1. Traveling with our Search K9s, there was concern about the logistics of the downtown location, but how could we pass up the chance to check our the reviews suggesting elegance with a splash of humor? I'm a huge fan of botique hotels, and the Padre did not disappoint! Built in the early part of the last century, the hotel had declined to the point of being condemmed. Thankfully, vision and a huge renovation saved this landmark, maintaining much of its historic flavor, yet with a surreal through-the-looking glass aura. The price was comparable to local business class offerings. Though the rooms were not huge, the layout tastefully maximized space. Other than the size, the rooms themselves were five-star: lighted wardrobes w/safes, refrigerator, modern work station, sophisticated decor, upscale bath, and best of all, one of the most decadently comfortable beds I've found in any luxury resort! (In spite of the late hour of our arrival and a crack-of-dawn wake-up call, I couldn't resist reading for half-an-hour, just to enjoy being ensconsed in such luxury.) Front desk staff were all first rate. Only area that wasn't five-star were the food venues (saloon for a late dinner & coffee shop for an early breakfast) where the food and service were both mediocre, especially in comparison to everything else. Will certainly make a beeline for the Padre for any future trips to Bakersfield!

1 Thank JudyTheGypsy
Thank you for visiting Padre. We hope to see you again soon!
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is a real find. It has a wonderful staff, good service and food. The rooms are different, but nice. it is a hotel experience like you might have had fifty years ago. Just a very nice hotel and it brings you back in time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us. Our wonderful remake of a famous landmark always is a wonderful experience for every guest.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I travel to Bakersfield on a regular basis for work and for the past several months I've been staying at The Padre Hotel. Others have posted photos and reviews regarding the hotel itself, the rooms, ambiance, etc (which is excellent by the way) so instead of repeating a bunch of stuff everyone else has already said I want to talk about what happened on my last trip when things went all wrong.

When I arrived at the hotel to check in with a business associate of mine we had a reservation for two adjoining rooms. Not only did they not have two rooms booked for us (they only had one), the room we did have was not the room style requested. The front desk was able to find us a second room for the night, but it was also not the room style requested and definitely not adjoining considering it was three floors away. We were also informed that unless there were any cancellations between now and tomorrow, the next night we would have to stay together as there wasn't going to be a second room available for us.

For various personal reasons this was not going to be an option for us but I didn't complain at the desk because I didn't have my reservation confirmation with me and I did make the reservation over the phone. As far as I know it was an innocent mistake that they heard one room, two beds instead of two rooms. When I got back to the hotel room I took out my laptop and found the confirmation and sure enough it was for two rooms. Now that I *knew* they clearly had to have changed my reservation *after* my confirmation was sent I was very upset. I called down to the front desk and asked for the e-mail address of the General Manager.

I sent an e-mail outlining the problem at 11:45p at night at within 90 minutes... in the middle of the night... I had an e-mail back apologizing for the error and outlined everything he was going to do to make it right. The next day the hotel sent someone over to pick us up from work during our lunch break to switch rooms into the original rooms we requested - the correct type, on the same floor and adjoining as originally requested. We spent a wonderful second night at the hotel and was generously financially compensated for the inconvenienced experienced on the first night.

Mistakes happen - people screw up - I can understand that. It's what people do to apologize for their mistakes and make it right that really matters. I have never received such wonderful customer service as I did at The Padre this past week. Even in their mistakes, The Padre is still the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Period.

If you're traveling to Bakersfield, The Padre is the only place to stay.

2 Thank Justin_Swall
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Every member of the Padre staff is dedicated to provide the best guest service possible. Thank you so much for your review, we are looking forward to your return soon!
Sonoma County, CA
Reviewed February 23, 2013

An unexpected gem in downtown Bakersfield. Really cute and eclectic decor, very comfy beds, quiet, gorgeous remodel of an old hotel right in the downtown area. Had breakfast and lunch there and both were pretty good. Service is a little hit and miss but they are nice employees. Bar scene appeared to be pretty hot! Parking across the street or valet for 10$. A nice change from the chain hotels when traveling for business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your recent stay, hope to see you again soon!