“Unexpected Gem in Bakersfield”
Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed March 8, 2013

In Bakersfield on business, our clients books us into The Padre Hotel. Since we usually stay at business-class chains, my curiosity sent me straight to Tripadvisor, where I was pleasantly surprised to see the Padre rated #1. Traveling with our Search K9s, there was concern about the logistics of the downtown location, but how could we pass up the chance to check our the reviews suggesting elegance with a splash of humor? I'm a huge fan of botique hotels, and the Padre did not disappoint! Built in the early part of the last century, the hotel had declined to the point of being condemmed. Thankfully, vision and a huge renovation saved this landmark, maintaining much of its historic flavor, yet with a surreal through-the-looking glass aura. The price was comparable to local business class offerings. Though the rooms were not huge, the layout tastefully maximized space. Other than the size, the rooms themselves were five-star: lighted wardrobes w/safes, refrigerator, modern work station, sophisticated decor, upscale bath, and best of all, one of the most decadently comfortable beds I've found in any luxury resort! (In spite of the late hour of our arrival and a crack-of-dawn wake-up call, I couldn't resist reading for half-an-hour, just to enjoy being ensconsed in such luxury.) Front desk staff were all first rate. Only area that wasn't five-star were the food venues (saloon for a late dinner & coffee shop for an early breakfast) where the food and service were both mediocre, especially in comparison to everything else. Will certainly make a beeline for the Padre for any future trips to Bakersfield!

1  Thank JudyTheGypsy
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for visiting Padre. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is a real find. It has a wonderful staff, good service and food. The rooms are different, but nice. it is a hotel experience like you might have had fifty years ago. Just a very nice hotel and it brings you back in time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for staying with us. Our wonderful remake of a famous landmark always is a wonderful experience for every guest.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I travel to Bakersfield on a regular basis for work and for the past several months I've been staying at The Padre Hotel. Others have posted photos and reviews regarding the hotel itself, the rooms, ambiance, etc (which is excellent by the way) so instead of repeating a bunch of stuff everyone else has already said I want to talk about what happened on my last trip when things went all wrong.

When I arrived at the hotel to check in with a business associate of mine we had a reservation for two adjoining rooms. Not only did they not have two rooms booked for us (they only had one), the room we did have was not the room style requested. The front desk was able to find us a second room for the night, but it was also not the room style requested and definitely not adjoining considering it was three floors away. We were also informed that unless there were any cancellations between now and tomorrow, the next night we would have to stay together as there wasn't going to be a second room available for us.

For various personal reasons this was not going to be an option for us but I didn't complain at the desk because I didn't have my reservation confirmation with me and I did make the reservation over the phone. As far as I know it was an innocent mistake that they heard one room, two beds instead of two rooms. When I got back to the hotel room I took out my laptop and found the confirmation and sure enough it was for two rooms. Now that I *knew* they clearly had to have changed my reservation *after* my confirmation was sent I was very upset. I called down to the front desk and asked for the e-mail address of the General Manager.

I sent an e-mail outlining the problem at 11:45p at night at within 90 minutes... in the middle of the night... I had an e-mail back apologizing for the error and outlined everything he was going to do to make it right. The next day the hotel sent someone over to pick us up from work during our lunch break to switch rooms into the original rooms we requested - the correct type, on the same floor and adjoining as originally requested. We spent a wonderful second night at the hotel and was generously financially compensated for the inconvenienced experienced on the first night.

Mistakes happen - people screw up - I can understand that. It's what people do to apologize for their mistakes and make it right that really matters. I have never received such wonderful customer service as I did at The Padre this past week. Even in their mistakes, The Padre is still the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Period.

If you're traveling to Bakersfield, The Padre is the only place to stay.

2  Thank Justin_Swall
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Every member of the Padre staff is dedicated to provide the best guest service possible. Thank you so much for your review, we are looking forward to your return soon!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

An unexpected gem in downtown Bakersfield. Really cute and eclectic decor, very comfy beds, quiet, gorgeous remodel of an old hotel right in the downtown area. Had breakfast and lunch there and both were pretty good. Service is a little hit and miss but they are nice employees. Bar scene appeared to be pretty hot! Parking across the street or valet for 10$. A nice change from the chain hotels when traveling for business.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate your recent stay, hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

In town on business for a few nights. Hotel was a pleasant surprise.
Onside is relatively non-descript older building. Interior has been completely redone.
Great restaurant and bar.
Don't forget to look up while in the coffee shop!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We loved our stay. A group of us booked 9 rooms at the Padre for my sister's engagement party in town on 2/9/2013, and we also celebrated my dad's 70th birthday at the Belvedere room the following day. The food was good, the decor was cute and staff seemed to be very accommodating. Fast forward 2 days later, my husband received a call from the bank that there were fraudulent activity upwards of $300 at Walmart and gas stations in the surrounding area. He ONLY USED THIS CARD AT CHECK IN FOR PAYMENT. We use cash for food and gas everywhere else. We tried to speak with the general manager and never received a call back. Then the following week my sister who covered the charge for the breakfast had the same thing happen to her on the card she used at the Padre. BEWARE!!!! SO disappointing. Tarnished our experience there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vuphan5
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Hello, and thank you for your review. We are pleased you found Padre #1 in a fantastic hotel stay. We are sorry to hear of your credit card issue, but we were pleased to assist you with your engagement party of over 20 people.....and your party trip around the Bakersfield area the night of your celebration. I am sorry this occurred during your outing. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I drove from Sonoma County down to Palm Springs and were looking for an overnight hotel along the way. He found the Padre Hotel in a web search so we booked a basic room. My expectations (and needs) were not high but we were very pleasantly surprised. From the moment we pulled up to valet parking and were greeted by the doorman, everything was top notch. The hotel is spotlessly clean and restored, lobby airily and welcoming. The staff was professional and very friendly. When we told the woman at reception it was our first time in Bakersfield she immediately upgraded us to a corner room, gave us her name and said to let them know if we needed anything. Staff at hotels often say this, but her sincerity was genuine. The hotel has very fun graphic decorations along a cool and subtle cowboy/girl theme. Someone very cleaver and talented was involved here! Our room was large, modern and very comfortable. Only complaint would be as noted by other reviewers: the lighting is inadequate in the room (could not read anywhere) and especially in the bath where you could barely see and I'm surprised my husband could shave. Would also be nice to have a rug in the bath as the floor was cold. A bit of art on the walls would be nice too but these are small points. We had a drink and appetizer in the bar--pretty happening with a young kind of sports-bar clientele, lighting a bit unpleasant with spots coming down directly on your face and big high back chairs hard to settle in to, but nice wine by the glass list and very friendly staff. Good coffee bar in the lobby for morning coffee and good breakfast. The Padre makes Bakersfield a destination and I would route future drives through the town just to stay here again. Bravo on a good job.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Expats-in-Wien

We hope to see you again soon, thank you for being part of the Padre family!