“Flash Design” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
Hamburg
“Flash Design”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Quite remarkable design, a welcoming service and love for the detail made our stay a very pleasant stop. Flash, modern rooms with cool design. Not too much to do around, but well worth the detour anyway. Internet o.K., very tasty restaurant with friendly crew. Worth a stop for 1-2 nights, busy&loud on weekends.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Our design team created an amazing rebirth of our beloved Padre. We are #1 for providing an amazing and wonderful stay for every guest, come back soon!
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We have stayed at the Padre several times now. We stayed during the week of the 20th of Dec. for 3 days & two nights... We were doing the family Christmas thing as well as attending a Brian Setzer concert at the Fox. (Note the Fox Theatre is a short block away & an easy walk unless you are highly...uh...drunk.)

Our room, a corner room had a nice view (7th floor) and the neon glow of the surrounding downtown was nice & not intrusive. The check in was smooth and we had been upgraded prior to arrival because of our past visits. The room was neat and clean and nothing unusual to report.

However a few things come to mind now that we have stayed there multiple times for more than an overnight trip. The bed is hard. It is memory foam with a pillow top covering...I hadn't paid much attention to it before but this time it was uncomfortable. Even my wife commented it felt "firmer" than in the past. Maybe a new bed perhaps?

A second note is there is but a single chest of drawer. Notice I said drawer as in one and only one. Nowhere to place your things if they don't hang in the closet. I think with a bit of rearrangement a resonable set of drawers could be placed into the room. As it were I just kept my things in the suitcase and the wife got the drawer. Not a huge deal but this is the 1st hotel I recall not having something beyond a single drawer.

And FYI you are staying just down the street from a Fire Station. Everybody knows Fire cannot roll anywhere unless its Code 3, lights & sirens...even when its 4 am and the streets are deserted. When they roll you will hear it. Nothing can be done but don't be startled when they crank it up at oh dark thirty...

The bar downstairs is nice but quickly fills up during the weekends. It is not a huge bar by any stretch so be prepared to stand or be quick when a table comes open. There is a second bar that opens during the weekends but it was not our style so we passed on it but it was jumping.

The small coffee bar is great for the morning cup & a muffin and they actually have Henry Weinhards creme soda which is a surprise (not that anyone cares ")

There is in house dining but we passed this time. We have had dinner there before but it was a bit designer for me in particular & the downtown area has multiple choices for food so we decided to venture beyond the hotel.

Now with all this being said it is a neat experience. It is a refurbished hotel, with lots of history which gives it a flair you will never find in a chain hotel. The staff works hard to take care of you and does an admirable job.

No doubt we will stay there again...no it's not the Hilton but that's half the charm.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 696K
We are the #1, most charming hotel in Bakersfield! Thank you for being a member of the Padre family, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Who knew the old down town could be so much fun . . . I have to travel to Bakersfield frequently for business it is great that there is finally a cool place to stay at a good price. The lobby bar is great in the evening and the coffee shop works in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JPollock311
Thank you, we are #1 in town, and we guarantee everyone a wonderful stay.
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I messed up the hotel reservation, and arrived to find the hotel almost completely sold out. The kind and helpful staff gave me a huge corner "pocket" room that is larger than many suites at other hotels. Comfortable and nicely furnished, the room also had free Wi-Fi. The room service was prompt and the food was good. The Belvedere Restaurant is modern and whimsical in decor. The steak was delicious, but my guests didn't like the fish entrees (finding them not fresh). The wine list is modest, but the martinis are ice cold and top labels available for hard liquor. I wish the hotel had the LA Times or the NY Times newspapers available for purchase, but this isn't a deal breaker because I am sure when business brings me to Bakersfield again, this hotel will remain my first choice.

Room Tip: Request corner "pocket" rooms- spacious and beautifully decorated.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for visiting the Padre. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having worked at a 4 star hotel in New York City, I came to Bakersfield expecting little with my standards being high.

The Padre hotel was more than I could have ever expected. Upon check-in Christine? was extremely friendly and perfect on all aspects. She offered me suggestions for awesome places to eat around the hotel and some bars I could go to. My room was extremely large with a very nice bathroom and included a super comfortable bed, free wifi. Very solid.

The two restaurants in the hotel I went to were fantastic. The coffee shop had great coffee and served excellent breakfast, I got the house made chorizo/ eggs and the breakfast sandwich. I ate at the bar the second night and had amazing appetizers that could compete with the majority of restaurants in NYC, brussels sprouts, oxtail fries, spinach dip and house made flat bread. All super yummy.

I was warned by a couple of people to be "careful" around Bakersfield because people like to fight...makes sense, small town, booze, bored... fight? So I took the shuttle with Patrick? he recommended I try out Wool Growers. Surprisingly, Bakersfield has the largest Basque population outside of France and Spain. Pretty good food, atmosphere and experience. Really it was the unique dishes and experience that made the dinner so good.

All in all, the Padre made Bakersfield a place I wouldn't mind coming back to. Thanks and see you again soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you so much for staying at Padre!
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Padre Hotel is fabulous and frankly a delightful surprise in Bakersfield. The staff is great, the rooms huge and very cool, the restaurants delightful and the evening scene lively (we only managed to get into the Prairie Fire -which we enjoyed- for a drink everything else was too busy).
We had booked a corner pocket room and when we checked in requested a room away from the nightclub (thanks to Tripadvisor reviews). Unfortunately they only had one of our room types left and it was right above the club. We figured we would use our ear plugs. Just as we were getting our luggage into our room (which by the way was lovely and spacious), the hotel GM, Matthew Krumweide popped in with keys to a Farmer's Daughter suite on the 8th floor. He said it was not being used and we could have the upgrade for free, so that we would get some rest. Talk about a proactive manager!
The suite was fabulous, it felt a lot like a suite in the Cosmopolitan Hotel in LV. A ton of space, lots of windows, cool furniture and wallpaper, comfortable bed. Great bathroom, huge shower, nice tub, etc. Even a 1/2 bottle of French Champagne in the mini bar (trust me this is hard to find here).
Loved the fact they kept a lot of the historic Bakersfield in the decor in a very cool/hip way. My compliments to the decorating team.
The best part of the hotel is the staff. Every person who helped us was nice, efficient and personal.
I wish we had the Padre Hotel in San Francisco, I would be a regular and I would suggest it to all of my friends. If you are planning a trip to Bakersfield, plan on staying at the Padre!

Room Tip: When you book, ask for a room away from the nightclub when it's open.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at Padre! We do look forward to seeing you again and giving us the opportunity to give you and every guest the highest level of service we can. Happy Holidays!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

What a darling hotel - loved the lobby, enjoyed the restauarnt, and was charmed with th eroom and the decor. I had one of the itty bitty rooms and was a little tripped out by the glass walled shower in th emiddle of the room - but hey, I could watch TV while I was shampooing my hair! Bathroom privacy is not an option if you are sharing the room. Oh and, did you know the hotel is haunted? Looked for the smudgy chid's handprint that keeps coming back on the wall at the cafe entrance. Mondays nights is half off the entrees at the restaurant so good luck finding a table!

Room Tip: If you are sharing the room, dont get the cheapest one - or ask about the glass walled showers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Your 5 star review means alot to us here at Padre. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again, Happy Holidays!