“What a delightful surprize!”
Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great rooms, active downtown, great bar and eating light fare. Fun remodel....highly recommend as a break in your drive north or south. Good wine list be the glass. I talked with others who experienced the fine dining.....thumbs up. Fun downtown revitiization.....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

We have an amazing gem here at Padre! We have taken the past, and created an amazing experience. See you soon!

There are newer reviews for Padre Hotel

Reviewed November 19, 2012

What a great hotel this is.... We stayed here on our roadtrip from San Francisco to Phoenix, its about half way and i am so glad we came to stay. Amazing design, modern and very clever. Rooms really clean, good bed linens, bathrooms big and showers HUGE! The staff were really friendly and the food selection was great, they have three options, a coffee bar for breakfast and light snacks, another bar for drinks and bar food and an a la carte menu. What a find, if you are staying around here.... PLEASE stay here, a little gem.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

We are #1 in Bakersfield, the only place to stay. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the hands down winner. The rooms are totally restored and neo-modern. Extremely comfortable. The bar scene is cool. Enjoy the Union Jack IPA draft brew. The live music is fine. Enjoyed the outdoor café upstairs. Liked the Hamburgers. I enjoy taking my wife here for the excellent vibe. Just hang out, talk, have an excellent coffee, take it easy. The people who put his place back together again did it right! We are getting ready to move downtown so I'm certain we will be doing some casual visits and dining. I also understand this is where couple who swing met. This would be an adventure for sure.

Room Tip: Pick the low cost rooms as there is nothing cheap about the rooms here. Excellent night sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have stayed at the Padre twice before and each time found it to be great. In fact, it holds sentimental value for us -- or at least it used to. We picked up our dog in Bakersfield, a place I had never been to or frankly thought about going. The night before we got him we stayed at the Padre. What a pleasant surprise! Later on we were on a road trip and decided to stop back at the Padre with our now older dog and enjoyed it again (although Monty has never gotten over his issue with elevators). That time we were charged a refundable pet deposit which is totally reasonable. I called today to make a reservation because I will be embarking with Monty on a homeward bound Thanksgiving road trip. However, I was told that now there is a $100 NON-refundable pet "deposit." OK, first of all it is not a "deposit" if it is non-refundable. It is a fee. It also almost doubles the cost of the room. No thanks, sentiment or no I am not that interested in staying in Bakersfield. I understand that there are bad actors out there who may have left the hotel rooms a mess before. That is why deposits are taken. The young woman on the phone said that the rooms have to be cleaned because "some people have allergies." Um, usually a room or two are designated for pets to avoid that issue. (And Monty is a Labradoodle so that is even less of an issue.) Oh well, too bad. Loyal customers lost.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

As the new General Manager, I appreciate your thoughts on our Pet Fee. Upscale boutique properties rarely allow pets, but we are different as we consider pets part of our Padre family too! Our amazing housekeeping staff keeps all of our rooms, all available for a pet (not just a few), in a 5 star status at all times. If you would like to call the hotel and ask for me, I would love to work with you on the fee so that you can experience again our #1 hotel.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by my latest visit to the Padre Hotel. This is the first time that I stayed the night and the room was very nice and very comfortable. Definitely one of the better rooms that I have stayed in. We had been here before for a couple of fund raiser events and the food was horrible as well as the service but this last weekend the food was very good and the service was spectactular. The service started with the valet and was exceptional all the way through to the valet the next morning except for Breakfast. The food was very good, but the service was lacking and the order was messed up. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

As the new General Manager, thank you so much for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Fantastic hotel, but not if you are traveling on a budget! This hotel is centrally located to a number of great bars and restaurants, and in comparison to other hotels in Bakersfield this is a great sales pitch in itself. Rooms are glamorous and well fitted (though a little dark), great bar downstairs (but also a fantastic bar on the second floor) and a quality cafe for breakfast. I doubt I will return to Bakersfield but if I do the Padre is the place I will stay.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Our amazing Padre will always be the #1 place to stay in Bakersfield. Thank you again!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a former Bakersfield resident, I was so excited that a swanky hotel came to town. Couldn't wait to stay there. Once I got there, I was about 2 hours early for check-in. They told me my room wasn't ready and it wouldn't be until check-in. First time I've ever heard that from a hotel, but fair enough...check-in times exist for a reason. Upon returning at check-in time (4pm), I was told my room STILL wasn't ready, but were nice enough to comp a cocktail at the bar and valet parking. Finally at 5:30 we were able to go to our room which was on the second floor. Room was clean and swanky. Almost too swanky as our shower was viewable from both the bedroom and bathroom. Sort of sexy but not so much when one has a clear shot of the toilet from the bedroom. A very sheer curtain was provided but did nothing to hide the fact that you were using the toilet from anyone in that room. I had a very nice (and late) dinner that night at Woolgrowers and returned, wanting to go to sleep as the work week had been long. No such luck. It was as if our room was located directly in the very lively nightclub in the Padre. We heard every song, every word the DJ spoke and just prayed from 2 am to come. 2 am came and the music died, but the party just started on our floor. I have to say that I didn't call down to the front desk because I was told at check-in that the hotel was booked, so I knew there was nothing they could do about anything. The next day I told the front desk and all I got was a "oh ya...it gets really noisy on the second floor...we'll give you 15% off." Nice that they did something, but I felt that it wasn't enough for such a miserable experience. I can't belieive that they don't include information like "some rooms on the second floor are not soundproof and may make for a noisy night". Also, when I requested my car from valet (through the front desk) they apparently didn't pass on the message to the valet so we just stood there for 45 minutes waiting for nothing. They were really busy so we thought that maybe it was the normal flow of things but once we realized that something was askew and brought it up with valet, they felt really bad and had my car to me in less than 5 minutes. Front desk people seemed unenthusiastic and indifferent, but I think the valet did a great job.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us. Also, thank you so much for the high stars you gave us on our individual areas of the hotel. Every review is an opportunity to ensure our high level of service, we look forward to welcoming you back to Padre!